Optimal Design of Continuous Reinforced Concrete Beams using Neural Networks
This paper aims to build a neural network model to optimally design two-span continuous reinforced concrete beams. The training and checking data of the neural network are obtained by genetic algorithms, whose constraints are built according to the ACI Building Code and objective function is to find the minimum cost of longitudinal reinforcement, stirrups and concrete. The neural network adopted in this paper is the feedforward backpropagation network, whose input vector consists of the span, width and effective depth of the beam, dead load, compressive strength of concrete as well as yield strength of steel and the output vector the positive and negative steel ratios and minimum total cost. The correlation coefficients between the target and network output of the testing data can reach as high as 0.9992, 0.9980 and 0.9999, respectively for the positive and negative steel ratios and minimum cost. Compared with the adaptive neuro-fuzzy inference system, the neural network shows almost the same accuracy but is much easier implemented.
(1) Holland, J. H. 1975. Adaptation in natural and artificial systems. The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
(2) Goldberg, D. E. 1989. Genetic algorithms in search, optimization and machine learning, Addison Wesley, Reading, MA, USA.
(3) Coello, C. A. and Christiansen, A. D. 2000. Multiobjective optimization of trusses using genetic algorithms, Computers and Structures. Vol. 75, pp. 647-660.
(4) Cheng, J and Li, Q. S. 2008. Reliability analysis of structures using artificial neural network based genetic algorithms. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, Vol. 197, No. 45. pp. 3742-3750.
(5) Belevičius, R. and Šešok, D. 2008. Global optimization of grillages using genetic algorithms, Mechanika. Nr., Vol. 6, No. 74, pp. 38-44.
(6) Šešok, D. and Belevičius, R. 2008. Global optimization of trusses with a modified genetic algorithm, Journal of Civil Engineering Management. Vol. 14, No. 3, pp. 147-154.
(7) Chan, C. M., Zhang, L. M. and Jenny, T. N. 2009. Optimization of pile groups using hybrid genetic algorithms, Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. Vol. 135, Issue 4, pp. 497-505.
(8) Goh, A. T. C. 2000. Search for critical slip circle using genetic algorithms. Civil Engineering and Environmental Systems, Vol. 17, No. 3, pp. 181–211.
(9) Zolfaghari, A.R., Heath, A.C., McCombie, P.F. 2005. Simple genetic algorithm search for critical non-circular failure surface in slope stability analysis. Computer and Geotechnics, Vol. 32, No. 3, pp. 139-152.
(10) Li, Y.-C., Chen, Y.-M., Zhan, T. L. T., Ling, D.-S. and Cleall, P. J. 2010. An efficient approach for locating the critical slip surface in slope stability analyses using a real-coded genetic algorithm. Canadian Geotechnical Journal, Vol. 47, No. 7, pp. 806–820.
(11) Yeh, J-P and Yang R-P, 2014, “Application of the Adaptive Neuro-Fuzzy Inference System for Optimal Design of Reinforced Beams,” Journal of Intelligent Learning Systems and Applications, Vo. 6, pp. 162-
(12) McCulloch, W.S. and Pitts, W. 1943. A logical calculus of ideas immanent in nervous activity. Bulletin of Mathematical Biophysics, Vol. 5, pp. 115-133.
(13) Rosenblatt, F. 1958. The Perceptron: A Probabilistic Model for Information Storage and Organization in the Brain. Psychological Review, Vol. 65, No.6, pp. 386–408.
(14) Werbos, P. J. 1975. Beyond Regression: New Tools for Prediction and Analysis in the Behavioral Sciences. Ph.D. Dissertation, Harvard University, Boston, MA, USA.
(15) Rumelhart, D. E., McClelland, J. L. and the PDP Research Group. 1986. Parallel distributed processing: explorations in the microstructure of cognition. volume 1: foundations, MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, USA.
(16) Bakker, R., Schouten, J. C., Takens, F. and van den Bleek, C. M. 1996. Neural network model to control an experimental chaotic pendulum. Physical Review E, 54A, pp. 3545-3552.
(17) Mukerji, A., Chatterjee, C., and Raghuwanshi, N. S. 2009. Flood forecasting using ANN, Neuro-Fuzzy and Neuro-GA models. Journal of Hydrologic Engineering, Vol. 14, No. 6, pp. 647-652.
(18) Cheng, J. and Li, Q. S. 2009. A hybrid artificial neural network method with uniform design for structural optimization. Computational Mechanics, Vol. 44, No. 1, pp. 61-71.
(19) Möller, O., Foschi, R. O., Quiroz, L. M., and Rubinstein, M. 2009. Structural optimization for performance-based design in earthquake engineering: applications of neural networks. Structural Safety, Vol. 31, No. 6, pp. 490–499.
(20) Gholizadeh, S. and Salajegheh, E. 2010. Optimal design of structures for earthquake loading by self organizing radial basis function neural networks. Advances in Structural Engineering, Vol. 13, No. 2, pp. 339-356.
(21) Patel, J. and Choi, S. K. 2012. Classification approach for reliability-based topology optimization using probabilistic neural networks. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Vol.45, Issue 4, pp. 529–543.
(22) Meon, M. S., Anuar, M. A., Ramli, M. H. M., Kuntjoro, W., and Muhammad, Z. 2012. Frame optimization using neural network. International Journal Advanced Science Engineering Information Technology, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 28-33.
(23) Ciresan, D. C., Meier, U., Masci, J. and Schmidhuber, J. 2012. Multi-column deep neural network for traffic sign classification. Neural Networks, Vol. 32, pp. 333-338.
(24) Danting, Z., Tingfeng, T., Zhongwei, J., Huichao, X., Xian, L. and Qing-Guo, W., 2014. Modeling the financial market with multiple prices. Transactions on Machine Learning and Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 2, No. 5, pp. 41-51.
(25) Jang, J.-S. R. 1993. “ANFIS: Adaptive-Network-Based Fuzzy Inference System”, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Vol. 23, No.3, pp.665-685.
(26) Hagan, M. T. and Menhaj, M. 1994. Training feedforward networks with the Marquardt algorithm. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, Vol.5, No.6, pp.989-993.
(27) Hagan, M. T., Demuth, H. B. and Beale, M. H. 1996. Neural network design. PWS Publishing, Boston, MA, USA.
(28) Pujol, J. 2007. The solution of nonlinear inverse problems and the Levenberg-Marquardt method. Geophysics, Vol. 72, No. 4, W1–W16.
(29) ACI 2008. Building code requirements for structural concrete (ACI 318-08) and commentary (ACI 318R-08). American Concrete Institute, Farminton Hills, MI, USA.
(30) The MathWorks. 2012. Global optimization toolbox: user's guide. The MathWorks, Inc., Natick, MA, USA.
(31) Demuth, H., Beale, M., and Hagan, M. 2010. Neural network
toolbox user’s guide. The MathWorks Inc., Natick, Massachusetts, USA.