A Comprehensive Review on Phytochemical, Pharmacological, Dielectric and Therapeutic Attributes of Multifarious Rudraksha (Elaeocarpus Ganitrus Roxb.)
In traditional system of medicine, different parts (beads, bark, leaves and outer shell of beads) of Rudraksha are considered for the alleviation of various health problems such as mental disorders, headache, fever, skin diseases and for healing the wounds. Ayurvedic texts categorize Rudraksha fruits as thermogenic, sedative, cough alleviator and are useful for the treatment of bronchitis, neuralgia, cephalagia, anorexia, migraine, manic conditions and other brain disorders. It is employed in folk medicine as a counter agent of stress, anxiety, depression, palpitation, nerve pain, epilepsy, lack of concentration, asthma, hypertension, arthritis and liver diseases. Furthermore it is retrieve to exhibit diversed pharmacological activities like anti-inflammatory, analgesic, hypoglycemic, antiulcerogenic and very high antimicrobial activity. phytosterols, alkaloids, flavonoids, carbohydrates, proteins, fats and tannins have been found to be largely responsible for the therapeutic potential of E.ganitrus. Significant amount of phytocomponents such as isoelaeocarpicine, elaeocapine isoelaeocarpine and quercetin, gallic, ellagic acids and rudrakine have been found to occur in rudraksha.In the present review, an attempt has been made to congregate the botanical, phytochemical, ethno medicinal, pharmacological information on Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb.
(2) Bhattacharya SK, Debnath PK, Pandey VB, Sanyal AK (1975). Pharmacological 3.
(3) Dennis TJ (1993). Rudraksha-Not Just a Spiritual Symbol but Also a Medicinal Remedy. Sachitra Ayurved 46(2): 142.
(4) Garg K, Goswami K, Khurana G (2013). A Pharmacognostical review on Elaeocarpus sphaericus. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 51: 3-8.
(5) Hardainiyan S, Nandy BC, Saxena R (2015). Phytochemical investigation of fruit extract of Elaeocarpus Ganitrus. Int J Pharma Pharmace Sci 7(6): 415-418.
(6) Johns SR, Lamberton JA, Sioumis AA, Suares H, Willing RI (1970). The structures and absolute configuration of seven alkaloids from Elaeocarpus sphaericus. J Chem Soc D Chem Com 804-805.
(7) Kumar N, Dubey M, Agarwal V (2013). Rudrakha: A Review on Mythological, Spiritual and Medicinal Importance. Glo J Res Med Plants Indig Med 2(1): 65-72.
(8) Michael JP (1997). The biological activity of indolizidine Alkaloids, Natural Product Reports 14: 21-41.
(9) Nain J, Garg K, Dhahiya S (2012). Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory activity of Elaeocarpus sphaericus leaf extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 4(1): 379-381.
(10) Prabha R, Kaur A (2014). Mythological and Spiritual Review on Eloeocarpus Ganitrus and Assessment of Scientific Facts for its Medicinal Uses. Int J Res 1(5): 334-353.
(11) Rao KS, Rao OU, Aminabee SK, Rao CHR, Rao AL (2012). Hypoglycemic and antidiabetic potential of Chitosan aqueous extract of Elaeocarpus ganitrus. Int J Res Pharmacy Chem 2(2): 428-441.
(12) Rao KVB, Kumar G, Karthik L (2011). Antimicrobial activity of Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb (Elaeocarpaceae): An in vitro study. Elixir Bio Tech 40: 5384-5387.
(13) Ray AB, Chand L, Pandey VB (1979). Rudrakine, a new alkaloid from Elaeocarpus ganitrus. Phytochemistry 18: 700-701.
(14) Singh B, Sharma A, Ishar MPS (2012). Antianxiety Investigations of Centaurea behen Linn. and Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb. J Pharma Res 5(3): 1483-1486.
(15) Singh RK, Acharya SB, Bhattacharya SK (2000). Pharmacological activity of Elaeocarpus sphaericus. Phytother Res 14: 36-39.
(16) Singh RK, Nath G (1999). Antimicrobial activity of Elaeocarpus sphaericus. Phytother Res 13: 448-450.
(17) 17. Sharma S, Rai DV, Rastogi M. Magnetic Characteristics of Different Mukhi Rudraksha Beads: I A Comparative Analysis International Journal of Sccientific & Technology Research 8(11):3329-3333.
(18) 18. Singh B, Pal MSI, Sharma A, Estimation of Quercetin, an Anxiolytic Constituents, in Elaeocarpus Ganitrus, Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry, 1(6), 2013, 117-121.
(19) Singh RK, Acharya SB, Bhattacharya S K, Pharmacological activity of Elaeocarpus sphaericus, Phytotherapy Research, 14, 2000, 36-39.
(20) Bhattacharya SK, Debnath PK, Pandey VB, Sanyal AK, Pharmacological investigations on Elaeocarpus ganitrus, Planta Medica, 28, 1975, 174-177.
(21) Dasgupta A, Agarwal SS, Basu DK, Anticonvulsant activity of the mixed fatty acids of Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb. (Rudraksha), Indian Journal of Physiology and Pharmacology, 28, 1984, 245-246.
(22) Swami G, Nagpal N, Rahar S, Singh P, Singla S, Porwal A, Kapoor R, Elaeocarpus sphaericus: Medical and Scientific facts, Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2(1), 2010, 297-306.
(23) Dadhich A, Rishi A, Sharma G, Chandra S, phytochemicals of Elaeocarpus with their therapeutic value: A review, International Journal of Pharmacy Biological Science, 4(3), 2013, 591-598.
(24) Garg K, Goswami K, Khurana G, A Pharmacognostical Review on Elaeocaarpus Sphaericus, International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences, 5(1), 2013, 3-8.
(25) Joshi SC, Jain PK, A Review on Ethnomedicinal and Traditional Uses of Elaeocarpus Ganitrus Roxb. (Rudraksha), International Journal of Pharmacy and Biology Science, 5(1), 2014, 495–511.
(26) Prabha R, Kaur A, Mythological and Spiritual Review on Eloeocarpus Ganitrus and Assessment of Scientific Facts for its Medicinal Uses, International Journal of Research, 1(5), 2014, 334-353. .
(27) Hardainiyan S, Nandy BC, Kumar K. Elaeocarpus Ganitrus (Rudraksha): A Reservoir Plant with their Pharmacological Effects International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences Review and Research 2015, 34(1): 55-64.
(28) Kumar TS, Shanmugam S, Palvannan T, Kumar VMB, Evaluation of Antioxidant Properties of Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb. leaves, Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Research, 7(3), 2008, 211-215.
(29) Jaganathan R, Ravinayagam V, Panchanadham S, Palanivelu S, Toxicological, Biochemical and Histopathological Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 34(1), 2015:55-64 .
(30) Kumar N, Dubey M, Agarwal V, Rudrakha: A Review on Mythological, Spiritual and Medicinal Importance, Global Journal of Research Medicinal Plants & Indigenous Medicine, 2(1), 2013, 65–72.
(31) Johns SR, Lamberton JA, Suares H, Sioumis AA, Willing RI, The alkaloids of Elaeocarpus sphaericus, Australian Journal of Chemistry, 24(8), 1971, 1679-1694.
(32) Ray AB, Chand L, Pandey VB, Rudrakine, a new alkaloid from Elaeocarpus ganitrus, Phytochemistry, 18, 1979, 700– 701.
(33) Chand L, Dasgupta S, Chattopadhyay SK, Ray AB, Chemical investigation of some Elaeocarpus species, Planta Medica, 32(2), 1977, 197-199.
(34) Singh B, Chopra A, Ishar MPS, Sharma A, Raj T. Pharmacognostic and antifungal investigations of Elaeocarpus ganitrus (Rudrakasha) Indian J Pharm Sci. 72(2), 2010, 261–265.doi: 10.4103/0250-474X.65021
(35) Bualee C, Ounaroon A, Jeenapongsa R, Antidiabetic and Long-term Effects of Elaeocarpus grandiflorus, Naresuan University Journal, 15(1), 2007, 17-28.
(36) Katavic PL, Venables DA, Rali T, Carroll AR. Indolizidine alkaloids with delta-opioid receptor binding affinity from the leaves of Elaeocarpus fuscoides. J Nat
(37) Singh RK, Acharya SB, Bhattacharya SK. Pharmacological activity of Elaeocarpus sphaericus. Phytother Res. 14,2000, 36–9.
(38) Sarkar PK, Sengupta SS, Bhattacharya SS. Effect of Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb.seeds on blood pressure. Indian J Pharma. 1972;4, 1972,128–35.
(39) Bhattacharya SK, Debnath PK, Pandey VB, Sanyal AK. Pharmacological investigations on Elaeocarpus ganitrus. Planta Medica. 28, 1975, 174–7.
(40) Dixit PK, Dixit S, Bhardwaj M, Chauhan B, Nagarajan K Sahoo J, “A Review on Traditional and Ethnomedicinal Uses of Elaeocarpus ganitrus (Rudraksha).” Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res, 52., 20181-7.
(41) Singh B, Chopra A, Ishar M, Sharma A, Raj T, “Pharmacognostic and antifungal investigations of Elaeocarpus ganitrus (Rudrakasha)”, Indian J Pharm Sci72, 2010,261-265.
(42) Tripathy S, Mida A Swain SR, “Acupressure and Magnetic Healing In relation to Elaeocarpus Ganitrus Seed (Rudraksha)”, American Journal of Pharmacy & Health Research, 5, 2016,1079-1099.
(43) Tilak A, Gangwar SS, Thaku RN, Sharma R., “Elaeocarpus Ganitrus (Rudraksha) Medicinal Use in Modern Time”, Imperial Journal of Interdisciplinary Research, vol. 3, 2017,1531-1538..
(44) Sen DJ, “Chemistry of Bioelectric Energy of Rudraksha (Elaeocarpus Ganitrus): The Spiritual Protective Energizer from Evil Power”, Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical sciences. 4, 2017 1-28.
(45) S. Sharma, B. Rawat, Jayanand, D.V. Rai and M. Rastogi, “Bioelectrical and Mineralogical Properties of Elaeocarpus Ganitrus (Rudraksha) Bead”, Biochem Cell Arch, vol. 18, pp. 1699-1703, 2018.
(46) H. Oka, K. Narita, H. Osada and K. Seki, “Experimental results on indoor electromagnetic wave absorber using magnetic wood”, J Appl Phys 91, 2002,7008–7010,
(47) Tewari D, Kumar P, Sharma P, Pharmacognostical Evaluation of Elaeocarpus sphaericus (Rudraksha) Leaves. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research, 5(3) 2013, 147-150.
(48) Singh H, Singh B,. Microscopy of Rudraksha Sacred Seeds-The Traditional Panacea. International Journal of Natural Product Science. 2012, 1, 2012, 138 -143.
(49) Johns, SR, JA, Lamberton SR, Sioumis AA, Elaeocarpus alkaloids. III. The structures of elaeocarpidine, a new indole alkaloid. Aust. J. Chem, 22: 1969,801-806.
(50) Johns, S.R., J.A. Lamberton,JA, Sioumis, Willing RI. Elaeocarpus alkaloids. IV. The alkaloids of Elaeocarpus sphaericus. Aust. J. Chem, 24,1970 1679-1694.
(51) Ray, AB, L. Chand L, Pandey VB, Rudrakine: A new alkaloid from Elaeocarpus ganitrus. Phytochemistry. 1979; 18: 700-701.
(52) Bhattacharya SK, Debnath PK, V.B. Pandey VB, Sanyal AK, Pharmacological investigations on Elaeocarpus ganitrus. Planta Med. 28, 1975, 174-177.
(53) Panday VB, Bhattacharya SK, Scientific appraisal of rudraksha (Elaeocarpus ganitrus): Chemical and pharmacological studies. J. Res. Edu. Ind. Med. 1985; 4: 47-50.
(54) Lakshmi.T, Anitha Roy A, Durgha K , Manjusha. V “Coping with Hypertension Using Safer Herbal Medicine – A Therapeutic Review”, Int. J. Drug Dev. & Res., 3(3), 2011, 31-57.
(55) Singh BA, Chopra NPS, Ishar A. Sharma A, Raj T. Pharmacognostic and antifungal investigations of Elaeocarpus ganitrus(Rudraksha). Indian J Pharm. Sci, 72 2010, 261-265.
(56) Kumar TS, Shanmugam S, Palvannan T, Kumar VM, Evaluation of antioxidant properties of Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb. Leaves, Iranian journal of pharmaceutical research. 7 2008, 211-215.
(57) Singh R.K., Acharya S.B., Bhattacharya S.K. Pharmacological activity of Elaeocarpus sphaericus, Phytotherapy research. 2000; 14: 36-39.
(58) Suresh C. Joshi and Pratibha K. Jain (2014); A review on ethnomedicinal and traditional uses of Elaeocarpus ganitrus Roxb. (rudraksha); International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences: 5(1): 495 – 411
Copyright (c) 2021 Raaz K. Maheshwari, Anil Kumar , Sukhraj Punar, Lakha Ram, Ravi Sharma, Ashok K. Kakodia, Bina Rani, Upma Singh
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.