The Azadiarachta indica, A natural pharmaceutical agent
Since the origin of mankind, the use of plants and their derivatives remains an important aspect of human life to cure various ailments. Such pharmaceutical uses of plants are the cheaper and safe sources for disease management against the expensive allopathic drugs with various side effects. At present the use of traditional medicines is not gaining favors from masses but the rapidly increasing pharmaceutical industry is also shifting itself from the synthetic chemicals towards the natural extracts. The Azadiarachta indica is one of the most important and extensively used medicinal plants. Its uses as antiseptic agent and as cure and preventive remedy have been known since remote past. The extracts of A. indica have a proven anti- diabetic, anti-oxidant, bactericidal, anti- termite, pesticide activities. This plant can be used to treat various intestinal ailments. It has a proven wound healing capacity. Various types of tumors are being treated by the phytochemicals derived from this miracle tree. Its leaves bark and fruit constitute very useful natural components that can be used to cure various ailments. The oil of Azadiarachta has a significant importance in cosmetic industry. Biologically active compounds are isolated from different parts of A. indica like meliacin, nimbidin, gedunin, salanin, nimbolides, valassin, nimbin and Azadirachtin are present in A. indica oil.
2. "Azadirachtaindica". Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). Agricultural Research Service (ARS), United States Department of Agriculture (USDA). 2017 Retrieved 9 June.
3. B. C. Akin-Osanaiya, A. J. Nok, S. Ibrahim et al., “Antimalarial effect of A. indica leaf and A. indica stem bark extracts on plasmodium berghei infected in the pathology and treatment of malaria,” International Journal of Research in Biochemistry and Biophysics, 2013. vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 7–14.
4. Brototi B., and Kaplay R.D., Azadirachtaindica (A. indica): It’s Economic utility and chances for commercial planned plantation in Nanded District, Int. J. Pharma, (2011). 1(2), 100-104.
5. Balappanavar, A.Y., V. Sardana and M. Singh, 2013. Comparison of the effectiveness of 0.5% tea, 2% A. indica and 0.2% chlorhexidine mouthwashes on oral health: A randomized control trial. Indian J. Dent. Res., 24: 26-34.
6. Chatterjee, M. Saluja, N. Singh, and A. Kandwal, “To evaluate the antigingivitis and antipalque effect of an Azadirachtaindica (A. indica) mouthrinse on plaque induced gingivitis: a double-blind, randomized, controlled trial,” Journal of Indian Society of Periodontology, 2011, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 398–401,.
7. Compact Oxford English Dictionary (2013), A. indica, page 679, Third Edition 2008 reprinted with corrections 2013, Oxford University Press
8. Chitta KS, Khan AN, Ersing N, Swaika A, Masood A, Paulus A, et al. A. indica leaf extract induces cell death by apoptosis and autophagy in B chronic lymphocytic leukemia cells. Leuk Lymphoma 2014;55:652 61
9. Debjit B, Chiranjib C, Jitender Y, Tripathi KK, Kumar KP. Herbal remedies of Azadirachtaindica and its medical application. J Chem Pharm Res 2010;2:62-72
10. D. N. Gunadharini, P. Elumalai, R. Arunkumar, K. Senthilkumar, and J. Arunakaran, “Induction of apoptosis and inhibition of PI3K/Akt pathway in PC-3 and LNCaP prostate cancer cells by ethanolic A. indica leaf extract,” Journal of Ethnopharmacology, 2011. vol. 134, no. 3, pp. 644–650.
11. DjenontinTindo S, Amusant N, Dangou J, Wotto D, Avlessi F, DahouénonAhoussi E, et al. Screening of Repellent, Termiticidal and Preventive activities on Wood, of Azadirachtaindica and Carapaprocera (Meliaceae) seeds oils. ISCA J Biological Sci. 2012;1(3):25-9.
12. D. K. Shrivastava and K. Swarnkar, “Antifungal activity of leaf extract of A. indica (Azadirachtaindica Linn),” International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences, 2014. vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 305–308.
13. E. Abdel Moneim, M. S. Othman, and A. M. Aref, “Azadirachtaindica attenuates cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity and oxidative stress,” BioMed Research International, 2014, vol. 2014, Article ID 647131, 11 pages,.
14. EPA US Environmental Protection Agency, 2012. Biopesticide Registration Action Document: Cold Pressed A. indica Oil PC Code 025006.〈http://www3.epa.gov/ pesticides/chem_search/reg_actions/registration/decision_PC-025006_07-May12.pdf〉. (accessed 13.01.16.).
15. Elavarasu, S., P. Abinaya, S. Elanchezhiyan, Thangakumaran, K. Vennila and K.B. Naziya, 2012. Evaluation of anti-plaque microbial activity of Azadirachtaindica (A. indica oil) in vitro: A pilot study. J. Pharm. Bioallied Sci., 4: S394-S396.
16. F. Othman, G. Motalleb, S. Lam TsueyPeng, A. Rahmat, R. Basri, and C. Pei Pei, “Effect of A. indica leaf extract (Azadirachtaindica) on c-Myc oncogene expression in 4T1 breast cancer cells of BALB/c mice,” 2012, Cell Journal, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 53–60.
17. Hashmat I, Azad H, Ahmed A. A. indica (Azadirachtaindica A. Juss)-A nature’s drugstore: an overview. Int Res J Biol Sci. 2012;1(6):76-.
18. Harjai, K., A. Bala, R.K. Gupta and R. Sharma, 2013. Leaf extract of Azadirachtaindica (A. indica): A potential antibiofilm agent forPseudomonasaeruginosa. Pathogens Dis., 69: 62-65.
19. Ilango K, Maharajan G, Narasimhan S. Anti nociceptive and anti inflammatory activities of Azadirachtaindica fruit skin extract and its isolated constituent azadiradione. Nat Prod Res 2013;27:1463 7.
20. Kusari S, Verma VC, Lamshoeft M, Spiteller M. An endophytic fungus from Azadirachta indica A. Juss. that produces azadirachtin. World J MicrobiolBiotechnol. 2012;28(3):1287-94.Lokeshwar T, Mukesh B, Vishnu B. Review on A. indica (Azadirachtaindica): Thousand problems one solution. IRJP. 2011;2(12):97-102
21. Koul A, Mohan V, Bharati S. Azadirachtaindica mitigates DMBA induced hepatotoxicity:A biochemical and radiometric study. Indian J BiochemBiophys 2014;51:37 45
22. Kaushik A, Tanwar R, Kaushik M. Ethnomedicine: Applications of A. indica (Azadirachtaindica) in dentistry. Dent Hypotheses 2012;3: 112-4.
23. K. Anjali, K. Ritesh, M. Sudarshan, S. C. Jaipal, and S. Kumar, 2013, “Antifungal efficacy of aqueous extracts of A. indica cake, karanj cake and vermicompost against some phytopathogenic fungi,” The Bioscan, vol. 8, pp. 671–674,.
24. K. Jabeen, S. Hanif, S. Naz, and S. Iqbal, 2013, “Antifungal activity of Azadirachtaindica against Alternariasolani,” Journal of Life Sciences and Technologies, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 89–93.
25. Krishnaiah D, Sarbatly R, Nithyanandam R. A review of the antioxidant potential of medicinal plant species. Food Bioprod Process. 2011; 89(3):217-33.
26. Kandhare AD, Mukherjee AA, Bodhankar SL. Neuroprotective effect of Azadirachta indica standardized extract in partial sciatic nerve injury in rats: Evidence from anti inflammatory, antioxidant and anti apoptotic studies. EXCLI J 2017;16:546 65.
27. L. P. B. LavanyaUppuluri, V. N. Garge, and V. J. Kadam, 2015 “Evaluation of anti-angiogenesis activity of A. indica root using zebra fish model,” International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research, vol. 6, no. 6, pp. 2437–2440.
28. Lekshmi NCJP, Sowmia N, Viveka S, Brindha JR, Jeeva S. The inhibiting effect of Azadirachtaindica against dental pathogens. Asian Journal of Plant Science and Research. 2012; 2(1):6-10.
29. Mohammad A. Alzohairy ;Therapeutics Role of Azadirachtaindica (A. indica) and Their Active Constituents in Diseases Prevention and Treatment: Review Article :Volume 2016 |Article ID 7382506 | 11 pages. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/73825.
30. M. R. Naik, A. Bhattacharya, R. Behera, D. Agrawal, S. Dehury, and S. Kumar, 2014; “Study of anti-inflammatory effect of A. indica seed oil (Azadirachtaindica) on infected albino rats,” Journal of Health Research and Reviews, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 66–69.
31. Metwally FM, El Mezayen HA, Moneim AE, Sharaf NE. Anti tumor effect of Azadirachtaindica (A. indica) on murine solid Ehrlich carcinoma. Acad J Cancer Res 2014; 7:38 45.
32. MelatiSeptiyanti, Muhammad RizkyMulyana, RahmawatiPutri, YennyMeliana, Evaluation of Nanoemulsion Concentrate Botanical Fungicide from A. indica, Citronella and Eugenol Oil Using Palm Oil Based Surfactant, American Journal of Physics and Applications. Vol. 7, No. 1, 2019, pp. 14-20. doi: 10.11648/j.ajpa.20190701.13
33. Nagini S. A. indicalimonoids as anticancer agents: Modulation of cancer hallmarks and oncogenic signaling. Enzymes 2014;36:131 47.
34. Nahak G, Sahu RK. Evaluation of antioxidant activity of flower and seed oil of Azadirachtaindica A. juss. J Appl Nat Sci 2011;3:78 81.
35. Osunwoke EA, Olotu EJ, Allison TA, Onyekwere JC. The wound healing effects of aqueous leave extracts of Azadirachtaindicaonwistar rats. J Nat Sci Res 2013;3:181 6.
36. P. X. Nunes, S. F. Silva, R. J. Guedes, and S. Almeida, 2012 ; “Biological oxidations and antioxidant activity of natural products,” in Phytochemicals as Nutraceuticals—Global Approaches to Their Role in Nutrition and Health, InTech.
37. Rahmani AH. Cassia fistula linn: Potential candidate in the health management. Pharmacognosy Res 2015;7:217 24.
38. Rosaline, H., D. Kandaswamy, D. Gogulnath and M. Rubin, 2013. Influence of various herbal irrigants as a final rinse on the adherence ofEnterococcusfaecalis by fluorescence confocal laser scanning microscope. J. Conserv. Dent., 16: 352-355.
39. R. Paul, M. Prasad, and N. K. Sah, 2011; “Anticancer biology of Azadirachtaindica L (A. indica): a mini review,” Cancer Biology and Therapy, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 467–476.
40. S. A. Bakr, 2013; “Evaluation of acute toxicity of water extract of Azadirachtaindica leaves and seeds in rats,” Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, vol. 16, no. 14, pp. 697–700.
41. Singh A, Singh AK, Narayan G, Singh TB, Shukla VK. Effect of A. indica oil and Haridra on non healing wounds. Ayu 2014;35:398 403
42. Seddiek SA, Khater HF, El-Shorbagy MM, Ali AM. The acaricidal efficacy of aqueous A. indica extract and ivermectin against Sarcoptesscabiei var. cuniculi in experimentally infested rabbits. Parasitol Res. 2013;112(6):2319-30.
43. Sujarwo W, Keim AP, Caneva G, Toniolo C, Nicoletti M. Ethnobotanical uses of A. indica (Azadirachtaindica A. Juss.; Meliaceae) leaves in Bali (Indonesia) and the Indian subcontinent in relation with historical background and phytochemical properties. J Ethnopharmacol. 2016;189:186-93.
44. Sunarwidhi AL, Sudarsono S, Nugroho AE. Hypoglycemic effect of combination of Azadirachtaindica A. Juss. andGynuraprocumbens (Lour.) merr. ethanolic extracts standardized by rutin and quercetin in Alloxan induced hyperglycemic rats. Adv Pharm Bull 2014;4:613 8.
45. T. Efferth and E. Koch, 2011; “Complex interactions between Phytochemicals. The Multi-Target Therapeutic concept of Phytotherapy,” Current Drug Targets, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 122–132.
46. Velusamy P, Das J, Pachaiappan R, Vaseeharan B, Pandian K. Greener approach for synthesis of antibacterial silver nanoparticles using aqueous solution of A. indica gum (Azadirachtaindica L.). Ind Crops Prod. 2015; 66:103- 9.
47. V. R. Chava, S. M. Manjunath, A. V. Rajanikanth, and N. Sridevi, 2012; “The efficacy of A. indica extract on four microorganisms responsible for causing dental caries viz Streptococcus mutans, Streptococcus salivarius, Streptococcus mitis and Streptococcus sanguis: an in vitro study,” Journal of Contemporary Dental Practice, vol. 13, no. 6, pp. 769–772.
48. Vinothkumar, T.S., M.I. Rubin, L. Balaji and D. Kandaswamy, 2013. In vitro evaluation of five different herbal extracts as an antimicrobialendodonticirrigant using real time quantitative polymerase chain reaction. J. Conserv. Dent., 16: 167-170.
49. W. N. Ghonmode, O. D. Balsaraf, V. H. Tambe, K. P. Saujanya, A. K. Patil, and D. D. Kakde, 2013; “Comparison of the antibacterial efficiency of A. indica leaf extracts, grape seed extracts and 3% sodium hypochlorite against E. feacalis—an in vitro study,” Journal of International Oral Health, vol. 5, no. 6, pp. 61–66.
50. Y.-X. Deng, M. Cao, D.-X. Shi et al., 2013; “Toxicological evaluation of A. indica (Azadirachtaindica) oil: acute and subacute toxicity,” Environmental Toxicology and Pharmacology, vol. 35, no. 2, pp. 240–246.
Copyright (c) 2020 Dr. Rashda Naheed Naheed, Muniba Nazir
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.