Spectral and Spatial Quality assessment of IHS and Wavelet Based Pan-sharpening Techniques for High Resolution Satellite Imagery
Keywords:Satellite imagery, Image Fusion, Spatial and Spectral quality, comparative study, HIS, Wavelet
Over last decades, a wide range of pan-sharpening methods have been proposed to synthesize images in a way that contain both high spatial and spectral characteristics of the multispectral and panchromatic images in high resolution satellite imagery. Amongst all improved methodologies, two different scenarios of Wavelet based and IHS based strategies brought up to be more appealing. Until now, lots of modifications and integrations are also proposed for these methods and variety of new techniques are presented. In this paper, the potential of different IHS-based and wavelet-based pan-sharpening techniques is studied and evaluated. For the purpose, high resolution images of worldview-2 satellite imagery are used and pan-sharpened images are generated based on 9 wavelet based and 6 IHS based methods. Achieved results clearly show the superiority of GIHS method as an optimum solution to keep both spectral and spatial characteristics if input images in fused image.
(1) Aiazzi, B., S. Baronti, and M. Selva. "Improving Component Substitution Pansharpening Through Multivariate Regression of MS+ Pan Data." IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 45 (2007): 3230-3239.
(2) Alimuddin, I., Sumantyo, J. T. S., & Kuze, H. (2012). Assessment of pan-sharpening methods applied to image fusion of remotely sensed multi-band data. International Journal of Applied Earth Observation and Geoinformation, 18, 165-175.
(3) Amolins, K., Zhang, Y., & Dare, P. (2007). Wavelet based image fusion techniques—An introduction, review and comparison. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 62(4), 249-263.
(4) Asha, G., and Annes Philip. "A review on pixel level satellite image fusion." Int. J. Comput. Appl 1 (2012): 15-19.
(5) Choi, M. (2006). A new intensity-hue-saturation fusion approach to image fusion with a tradeoff parameter. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote sensing, 44(6), 1672-1682.
(6) Javan, F. D., Samadzadegan, F., & Reinartz, P. (2013). Spatial quality assessment of pan-sharpened high resolution satellite imagery based on an automatically estimated edge based metric. Remote Sensing, 5(12), 6539-6559.
(7) Dou, W., Chen, Y., Li, X., & Sui, D. Z. (2007). A general framework for component substitution image fusion: An implementation using the fast image fusion method. Computers & Geosciences, 33(2), 219-228.
(8) González-Audícana, M., Otazu, X., Fors, O., & Alvarez-Mozos, J. (2006). A low computational-cost method to fuse IKONOS images using the spectral response function of its sensors. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, 44(6), 1683-1691.
(9) Kim, Y., Lee, C., Han, D., Kim, Y., & Kim, Y. (2011). Improved additive-wavelet image fusion. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 8(2), 263-267.
(10) Kolekar, M. N. B., & Shelkikar, R. P. A . (2016). A Review on Wavelet transform based image fusion and classification. International Journal of Application or Innovation in Engineering & Management (IJAIEM), 5 (3), 111-115
(11) Leung, L. W., King, B., & Vohora, V. (2001, November). Comparison of image data fusion techniques using entropy and INI. In Paper presented at the 22nd Asian Conference on Remote Sensing (Vol. 5, p. 9).
(12) Liu, X., Wang, Y., & Liu, Q. (2017). Remote Sensing Image Fusion Based on Two-stream Fusion Network. arXiv preprint arXiv:1711.02549.
(13) Lillo‐Saavedra, M., & Gonzalo, C. (2006). Spectral or spatial quality for fused satellite imagery? A trade‐off solution using the wavelet à trous algorithm. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 27(7), 1453-1464.
(14) Mallat, S. G. (1989). A theory for multiresolution signal decomposition: the wavelet representation. IEEE transactions on pattern analysis and machine intelligence, 11(7), 674-693.
(15) Mitchell, H. B. (2010). Image fusion: theories, techniques and applications. Springer Science & Business Media.
(16) Nunez, J., Otazu, X., Fors, O., Prades, A., Pala, V., & Arbiol, R. (1999). Multiresolution-based image fusion with additive wavelet decomposition. IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote sensing, 37(3), 1204-1211.
(17) Rahmani, S., Strait, M., Merkurjev, D., Moeller, M., & Wittman, T. (2010). An adaptive IHS pan-sharpening method. IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters, 7(4), 746-750.
(18) Riyahi, R., Kleinn, C., & Fuchs, H. (2009). Comparison of different image fusion techniques for individual tree crown identification using QuickBird images. International Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, High-Resolution Earth Imaging for Geospatial Information, 38, 1-4.
(19) Rockinger, O., & Fechner, T. (1998, April). Pixel-level image fusion: the case of image sequences. In Proc. SPIE (Vol. 3374, pp. 378-388).
(20) Thomas, C., & Wald, L. (2006, July). Analysis of changes in quality assessment with scale. In Information Fusion, 2006 9th International Conference on (pp. 1-5). IEEE.
(21) Tu, T. M., Huang, P. S., Hung, C. L., & Chang, C. P. (2004). A fast intensity-hue-saturation fusion technique with spectral adjustment for IKONOS imagery. IEEE Geoscience and Remote sensing letters, 1(4), 309-312.
(22) van der Meer, F. (2006). The effectiveness of spectral similarity measures for the analysis of hyperspectral imagery. International journal of applied earth observation and geoinformation, 8(1), 3-17.
(23) Wald, L. (2000, January). Quality of high resolution synthesised images: Is there a simple criterion?. In Third conference" Fusion of Earth data: merging point measurements, raster maps and remotely sensed images"(pp. 99-103). SEE/URISCA.
(24) Xu, J., Guan, Z., & Liu, J. (2008). An improved IHS fusion method for merging multi-spectral and panchromatic images considering sensor spectral response. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spat. Inf. Sci, 37, 1169-1174.
(25) Zhang, Y., & Hong, G. (2005). An IHS and wavelet integrated approach to improve pan-sharpening visual quality of natural colour IKONOS and QuickBird images. Information Fusion, 6(3), 225-234.
(26) Zhang, H. K., Huang, B., Zhang, M., Cao, K., & Yu, L. (2015). A generalization of spatial and temporal fusion methods for remotely sensed surface parameters. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 36(17), 4411-4445.
(27) Zhang, H. K., & Huang, B. (2015). A new look at image fusion methods from a Bayesian perspective. Remote Sensing, 7(6), 6828-6861.
(28) Zhou, J., Civco, D. L., & Silander, J. A. (1998). A wavelet transform method to merge Landsat TM and SPOT panchromatic data. International Journal of Remote Sensing, 19(4), 743-757.