Design of DTCWT-DWT Image Compressor-Decompressor with Companding Algorithm
Keywords:Image compression, DTCWT, SPIHT, DWT, companding.
Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT) has demonstrated advantages in image compression due to its time-frequency resolution property. Dual Tree Complex Wavelet Transform (DTCWT) in addition to the advantages of DWT supports additional properties such as directionality and shift invariant. DTCWT has coefficient redundancy of 4:1 or 2m:1 in m dimensions thus is four time complex than DWT computation. In this work, DTCWT based image compression algorithm is proposed that performs decomposition using DTCWT and reconstruction is carried out using DWT. The DTCWT bands are companded and encoded using entropy encoder and the quantization of the sub bands introduces minimum loss. The proposed algorithm achieves 77% compression with 40 dB PSNR thus suitable for real time image compression. DTCWT filters are appropriately selected to achieve perfect reconstruction.
(1) JPEG2000 Image Compression Fundamentals, Standards and Practice: Image ...By David Taubman, Michael Marcellin
(2) Grzegorz Pastuszak; Andrzej Abramowski IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology ( Volume: 26, Issue: 1, Jan. 2016 ), 210 – 222,
(3) G.J. Sullivan, J.-R. Ohm, W. Han, T. Wiegand, Overview of the high efficiency video coding (HEVC) standard, IEEE Trans. Circuits Syst. Video Technol., 22 (2012), pp. 1649–1668
(4) D. Taubman, “High Performance Scalable Image Compression with EBCOT ,” IEEE Trans.on Image Processing, vol. 9, pp. 1158-1170, July, 2000
(5) Z. Xiong, X. Wu, S. Cheng, J. Hua, Lossy-to-Lossless compression of medical volumetric data using three-dimensional integer wavelet transforms, IEEE Trans. Med. Imaging, 22 (2003), pp. 459–470
(6) N.G. Kingsbury, “Complex wavelets for shift invariant analysis and filtering of signals,” Journal of Applied and Computational Harmonic Analysis, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 234–253, May 2001
(7) Li Hui Fang, Xu Hou Jie, Miao Guo Feng, "Images Compression Using Dual Tree Complex Wavelet Transform", Information Science and Management Engineering, International Conference of, vol. 01, no. , pp. 559-562, 2010,
(8) Fowler James E, Joseph B. Boettcher and B´eatrice Pesquet-Popescu “Image Coding using Complex Dual Tree Wavelet Transform” 15th European Signal Processing Conference (EUSIPCO 2007),/ ©2007 EURASIP
(9) Chuo-Ling Chang and Bernd Girod, “Direction Adaptive Discrete Wavelet Transform for Image Compression”, IEEE Transactions on Image Processing, VOL. 16, NO. 5, MAY 2007
(10) J. Yang, J. Xu, F. Wu, Q. Dai, and Y.Wang. "Image Coding Using 2D Anisotropic Dual Tree Discrete Wavelet Transform" IEEE 2007
(11) Hasan Demirel ; Gholamreza Anbarjafari, “Satellite Image Resolution Enhancement Using Complex Wavelet Transform”, IEEE Geoscience and Remote Sensing Letters ( Volume: 7, Issue: 1, Jan. 2010 ), 123 – 126
(12) Hilal Naimi , Amel Baha Houda Adamou-Mitiche , Lahcène Mitiche, Medical image denoising using dual tree complex thresholding wavelet transform and Wiener filter, Journal of King Saud University - Computer and Information Sciences Volume
, Issue 1, January 2015, pp. 40–45
(13) N. G. KINGSBURY. A dual-tree complex wavelet transform with improved orthogonality and symmetry properties . In Proceedings of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Image Proc. (ICIP), 2000
(14) Julia Neumann Gabriele Steidl, “Dual Tree ComplexWavelet Transform in the Frequency Domain and an Application to Signal Classification”
(15) Ivan W. Selesnick, Richard G. Baraniuk, and Nick G. Kingsbury, “The Dual Tree Complex Wavelet Transform”, IEEE SIGNAL PROCESSING MAGAZINE NOVEMBER 2005, pp.123-151
(16) Ivan W. Selesnick, Richard G. Baraniuk, and Nick G. Kingsbury, “The Dual Tree Complex Wavelet Transform”, IEEE SIGNAL PROCESSING MAGAZINE NOVEMBER 2005, 123-151
(17) J.M. Shapiro, “Embedded image coding using Zero trees of wavelet coefficients,” IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, vol.41, pp. 3445-3462, Dec.,1993
(18) A.Said and W.A.Perlman, “A New, Fast, and Efficient Image Codec Based on Set Partitioning in Hierarchical Trees,” IEEE Trans. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, vol.6, pp. 243-250, June, 1996
(19) D. Taubman, “High Performance Scalable Image Compression with EBCOT ,” IEEE Trans.on Image Processing, vol. 9, pp. 1158-1170, July, 2000.
Image Gradients Class Notes for CMSC 426, Fall 2005 David Jacobs, http://www.cs.umd.edu/~djacobs/CMSC426/ImageGradients.pdf