Magnetron High Voltage System Eight Cavity Stability Analysis Under Parameters Variation
Keywords:Magnetron, Cavity resonators, Slot, Hole and slot, Efficiency, stability, fixed point, oscillations
A magnetron is a high power microwave oscillator in which the potential energy of an electron cloud near the cathode is converted into RF energy in a series of cavity resonators.
As depicted by the low frequency analog, the rear wall of the structure may be considered the inductive portion, and the vane tip region the capacitor portion of the equivalent resonant circuit. The resonance frequency of a microwave cavity is thereby determined by the physical dimension of the resonator together with the reactive effect of any perturbations to the inductive or capacitive portion of the equivalent circuit. In order to sustain oscillations in a resonant circuit, it is necessary to continuously input energy in the correct phase. An eight cavity magnetron is the typical magnetron we analyze with discussion of stability. For an eight-resonator magnetron, the important modes are n = 1; 2; 3; 4. In general n = 1; 2; 3:::N=2 where N is the number of resonators or cavity. The equivalent circuit of a chain of LC elements may be considered in a planar circuit using split-ring resonators to realize each LC. The open space between the magnetron’s cathode and anode is called interaction
space, where E and B fields interact with electrons—these are accelerated and emit radiation at a frequency determined by the cavity dimensions. The eight cavity magnetron equivalent circuit can be analyzed for stability behavior under different parameter variations. There is a practical guideline that combines
graphical information with analytical work to effectively study the local stability of models. The stability of a given steady state is determined by phase space plot of a number of magnetron parameters.
(1) S. Bhattacharjee, J.-H. Booske, C.-L Kory, D.-W. Weide, S. Limbach, S. Gallagher, J.-D. Welter, M. Lopez, R.-M. Gilgenbach, R.-L. Ives, M.-E. Read, R. Divan, D.-C. Mancini “Folded waveguide traveling wave tube sources for terahertz radiation,” IEEE transactions on plasma science, vol.32, no. 3, 2004.
(2) S. Bhattacharjee, J.-H. Booske, C.-L Kory, D.-W. Weide, S. Limbach, S. Gallagher, J.-D. Welter, M. Lopez, R.-M. Gilgenbach, R.-L. Ives, M.-E. Read, R. Divan, D.-C. Mancini “Linear electron acceleration in THz waveguides,” Proceedings of IPAC2014 Dresden Germany, 2014.
(3) A.-W Cross, H. Yin, W. He, D. Bowes, K. Ronald, A.-D.-R. Phelps, D. Li, J. Zhou, X. Chen, J. Protz, M. Verdiel, M. Reynolds, T. Schuhmann “Pseudospark sourced electron beam for terahertz radiation generation,” 29th ICPIG, 2009 Cancun, Mexico.
(4) P.-H. Siegel “Terahertz technology,” IEEE transactions on microwave theory and techniques, vol.50, no. 3, 2002.
(5) V.-B. Bayburin, A.-A. Terentiev, V.-I. Vislov, A.-B. Levande, I.-K. Guriev, A.-A. Sysuev “Computer simulation of magnetron devices,” Applied surface science, 215 (2003) pp. 301-309.
(6) N.-N. Esfahani, M. Tayarani, and K. Schunemann “Design and simulation of a _=2 mode spatial harmonic magnetron,” Int.J.Electron.Commun, (AEU) 67 (2013) pp. 426-432.
(7) T. Isenlik, K. Yegin ‘Tutorial on the design of Hole-Slot-Type cavity magnetron using CST particle studio,” IEEE transactions on plasma science, vol.41, no. 2, (2013).
(8) T.-P. Fleming, M.-R. Lambrech, P.-J. Mardahl, and J.-D. Keisling “A high efficiency megawatt class nonrelativistic magnetron,” IEEE transactions on plasma science, vol.40, no. 9, (2012).
(9) G.-B. Collins, Microwave Magnetrons Radiation Laboratory, series. 6, Hard cover - January 1, 1948.
(10) A.-S. Gilmour, Klystrons Traveling Wave Tubes Magnetrons, Cross-Field Amplifiers, and Gyrotrons (Artech House Microwave library) -January, 2011.
(11) A.-S. Gilmour, Microwave Tubes (Artech House Microwave Library), Hardcover (December 1,1986).
(12) T.-E. Sheridan, M.-J, Goeckner, J. Goree, “Model of energetic electron transport in magnetron discharge,” J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A, vol.8,no. 1, 1990.
(13) S.-M. Sze and K.-K. Ng, Physics of Semiconductor Devices Wiley Interscience (Hardcover - Oct 27, 2006).
(14) C.-T. Sah, Fundamentals of Solid State Electronics World Scientific.
(15) M. Gupta, E. Wong and W. Leong, Microwaves and Metals Wileyinterscience ; 1 edition (November 1, 2007).
(16) S.-C. Cripps, RF power Amplifiers for Wireless Communication 2006 by Artech House microwave library.
(17) C.-W. Sayre, Complete Wireless design McGraw-Hill companies.
(18) A.-W. Scott, Understanding Microwaves 2005 by John Wiley Sons Inc.
(19) J.-W. M. R.-C. Plett. Shadrivov, and I. Marsland, Radio Frequency System Architecture and Design Artech house 2014.
(20) D.-K. Linkhart, Microwave Circulator Design second edition, Artech house 2014.
(21) S. Tanaka, N. Shimomura, K. Ohtake, “Active circulators - the realization of circulators using transistors,” Proc. of the IEEE, vol. 53, issue. 3, pp. 260-267, 1965.
(22) R. Dougherty, “Circulate signals with active devices on monolithic chips,” Microwave and RF, pp. 85-86, 89, 1989.
(23) S. Horikoshi and N. Serpone, Microwaves in Nanoparticle Synthesis: Fundamental and Applications, Wiley-VCH; 1 edition (May 28, 2013).
(24) T.-H. Lee, Planar Microwave Engineering: A practical Guide to Theory, Measurement and Circuits (Cambridge university press: Har/Cdr edition (Agust 30, 2004).
(25) D. Czekaj, E.-K. Hollman, V.-A. Volpyas, A.-G. Zaitsev, A. Chernakova, B. Goranchev, “Ion energies distribution at the cathode of planar magnetron sputtering system,” Bulgarian Journal of Physics,
vol.18, no. , 1991.
(26) Z. Wang. and S.-A. Cohen, “Geometrical aspects of a hollow cathode planar magnetron,” Physics of plasmas, vol.6,no. 5, 1999.
(27) N.-El. Ghazal, A. Belhaiba, M. Chraygane, B. Bahani, M. Ferfra, “New simulation method of new HV power supply for industrial Microwave generators with N=2 Magnetrons,” International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Application, vol.4,no. 12, 2013.
(28) M. Bassoui, M. Ferfra, M. Chraygane, M. Ould Ahmedou, N. Elghazal, and A. Belhaiba, “Optimization of a new three phase high voltage power supply for industrial Microwaves generators with N magnetrons by phase (Treated case N = 1),” Internation Journal of
Electrical, Electronic Science and Engineering, vol.7,no. 11, 2013.
(29) P. Pengvanich, V.-B. Neculaes, Y.-Y. Lau, R.-M. Gilgenbach, M.-C. Jones, W.-M. White, and R.-D. Kowalczyk, “Modeling and experimental studies of magnetron injection locking,” Journal of Applied Physics, 98, 114903, 2005.
(30) E. Lugscheider, K. Bobzin, M.-K. Lake, “Deposition of solder for micro joining on M.E.M.S components by means of magnetron sputtering,” Surface and Coatings Technology, 142-144 (2001) 813-816.
(31) D. Desideri, A. Maschio, D. Doru, O. Ramona, M. Spolaore, “Equivalent model of a magnetron sputtering device with ferromagnetic yoke,” Przeglad Elektrotechniczny, (Electrical Review), ISSN 0033-2097, r.88 NR 7b/2012.
(32) R. Tadjine, M. Kechouance, M. Alim, and N. Saoula, “Electrical characterization of RF magnetron sputtering,” 31st ICPIG, July 14-19, 2013, Granada Spain.
(33) A. Belhaiba, A. Bouzit, N. Elghazal, M. Ferfra, M. Bousseta, M. Chraygane, and B. Bahani, “Comparative studies of electrical functioning of magnetron power supply for one magnetron,” Journal of Engineering Sceince and technology, Review 6 (3) (2013) 35-40.
(34) Y.-R. Yang, “A magnetron power supply with transition mode zero voltage switching inverter,” Journal of energy and power engineering, 7 (2013) 1571-1577.
(35) H.-W. Welch, and W.-G Dow, “Analysis of synchronous conditions in the cylindrical magnetron space charge,” Journal of applied Physics,vol.22, no. 4, 1951.
(36) H. Yamazaki, and W. Jiang, “Experimental examination of diode features in a high power magnetron with a transparent cathode,” Plasma and Fusion research: Regular articles, vol.3, S1025 (2008).
(37) L. Brillouin, “Electronic theory of the plane magnetron,” Advanced in Electronics and Electron Physics, vol.3, pages. 85-144, 1951.
(38) L. Brillouin, “Theory of the magnetron III,” Phys. Rev. 63, 127,
(39) P J .S Pereira, M .L Escrivao, M R Teixeira, M J P. Maneira, and Y.
Nunes, “Analytical model and measurements of the target erosion depth profile of balanced and unbalanced planar magnetron cathodes ” Plasma Sources Science and Technology, 23, 065031, 2014