Genetic Algorithm based Approach to Enhance Network Performance in Multi-rate WLANs
Keywords:Power Control, SCV, Genetic Algorithm, Optimization, Cost Function, Coefficient of Variation
In a multi-rate 802.11 WLAN environment, the users’ fairness and network throughput is a trade-off problem. Although there are many valuable research papers related to this optimization problem, up to date, none of those researches could offer a rational, clearly designed mathematical model which can be easily and widely implemented using the well known AI algorithms. Thus our research aims to fill such gap. In this paper we define the problem as an informed search NP-hard problem in a practical scenario, and then we will propose a new intuitive simplified mathematical model called Simplified Coefficient of Variation (SCV), by using Genetic Algorithm to implement the SCV model, through controlling the power of Access Points to optimize and enhance the performance of the network. The simulation gives excellent results that indicate our model is efficient and superior to existing method. After the experiment analysis, we use software SAS to further reveal the relationships of three indicators to illustrate the essence of our algorithm and an existing algorithm.
(1) Qiang Ma, Abdullah Al-Dhelaan, Mznah Al-Rodhaan, “Using Genetic Algorithm to Improve Tradeoff between Fairness and Throughput in Multi-Rate WLANs”, Proc. 8th WSEAS International Conference on Circuits, Systems and Signals (CSS'15), Michigan State University, USA, September 2015.
(2) Jain-Shing Liu, “AchievingWeighted Fairness in IEEE 802.11-based WLANs: Models and Analysis”, WSEAS Transactions on Communications, Issue 6, vol. 7, June 2008.
(3) Yaser Mahmood, A. Hamid, D. K. Lobiyal. “Improved Power Control MAC Protocol for wireless Ad Hoc Networks”, WSEAS Transactions on Communications, Issue 1, vol. 10, January 2011.
(4) Qian Hu, Zhenzhou Tang, “Study on Power and Rate Control Algorithm for Cognitive Wireless Networks”, WSEAS Transactions on Communications, Issue 4, vol. 9, April 2010.
(5) G. Tan, J. Guttag, “Time-based fairness improves performance in multi-rate WLANs”, Proc. Usenix Annual Technical Conf., 2004, pp. 23–23.
(6) M. Heusse, F. Rousseau, G. Berger Sabbatel, A. Duda, “Performance anomaly of 802.11b”, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2003, pp. 836– 843.
(7) F. P. Kelly, “Charging and rate control for elastic traffic”, European Trans. Telecommun., vol. 8, no. 1, 1997.
(8) A. Banchs, P. Serrano, H. Oliver, “Proportional fair throughput allocation in multi-rate IEEE 802.11e wireless LANs”, Wireless Networks, vol. 13, no. 5, pp. 649–662, 2007.
(9) A. V. Babu, L. Jacob, “Performance analysis of IEEE 802.11 multi-rate WLANs: time based fairness vs throughput based fairness”, Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Wireless Networks, Comm. and Mobile Compu., pp. 203–208. 2005.
(10) D. Bertsekas, R. Gallager, “Data Networks”, Prentice-Hall, 1987.
(11) W. Li, Y. Cui, S. Wang, X. Cheng, “Approximate optimization for proportional fair AP association in multi-rate WLANs”, Proc. 5th Int. Conf. WASA, 2010, pp. 36–46.
(12) Y. Bejerano, S. J. Han, L. E. Li, “Fairness and load balancing in wireless LANs using association control”, IEEE/ACM Trans. Network., vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 560–573, 2007.
(13) Wei Li, Yong Cui, Xiuzhen Cheng, Mznah A. Al Rodhaan, Abdullah Al Dhelaan, “Achieving Proportional Fairness via AP Power Control in Multi-Rate WLANs”, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Comm., vol. 10, no. 11, November 2011.
(14) R. Jain, D. M. Chiu, W. R. Hawe, “A quantitative measure of fairness and discrimination for resource allocation in shared computer system”, Digital Equipment, Tech. Dec-Tr-301, 1984.
(15) V. P. Mhatre, K. Papagiannaki, F. Baccelli, “Interference mitigation through power control in high density 802.11 WLANs”, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 535–543, 2007.
(16) V. Hasu, V. Koivo, “Fair transmission rate allocation: a power control feasibility approach”, Proc. IEEE ICCS, pp. 1–5, 2006.
(17) Y. Bejerano, S. J. Han, “Cell breathing techniques for load balancing in wireless LANs”, IEEE Trans. Mobile Computing, vol. 8, no. 6, 2009.
(18) Shengling Wang, Jianhui Huang, Xiuzhen Cheng, Biao Chen, “Coverage adjustment for load balancing with an AP service availability guarantee in WLANs”, Wireless Networks, April 2014, vol 20, Issue 3, pp. 475-491.
(19) L. P. Qian, Y. Jun, “Monotonic optimization for non-concave power control in multiuser multicarrier network systems”, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2009, pp. 172–180.
(20) M. Chiang, C. W. Tan, D. P. Palomar, D. O’Neill, D. Julian, “Power control by geometric programming”, IEEE Trans. Wireless Commun., vol. 6, no. 7, pp. 2640–2651, 2007.
(21) Wei Li, Shengling Wang, Yong Cui, Xiuzhen Cheng, Ran Xin, Mznah A. Al-Rodhaan, Abdullah Al-Dhelaan, “AP Association for Proportional Fairness in Multirate WLANs”, IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking, vol. 22, no. 1, February 2014.
(22) Xiaohui Chen, Wenqing Cheng, Wei Yuan, Wei Liu, Jing Xu, “Joint Optimization of Channel Allocation and AP Association in Variable Channel-width WLANs”, 2013 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference: MAC.
(23) Sandip Chakraborty, Pravati Swain, Sukumar Nandi, “Proportional fairness in MAC layer channel access of IEEE 802.11s EDCA based wireless mesh networks”, Ad Hoc Networks, 2013, vol.11 (1).
(24) Aizaz U Chaudhry, Nazia Ahmad, Roshdy HM Hafez, “Improving throughput and fairness by improved channel assignment using topology control based on power control for multi-radio multi-channel wireless mesh networks”, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Comm. and Networking, 2012, vol.2012 (1), pp.1-25.
(25) Jason Brownlee, “Clever Algorithms: Nature Inspired Programming Recipes”, LuLu, first edition, January 2011, ISBN: 978-1-4467-8506.
(26) DING Xiaole, LI Fenghua, LI Hewu, JIANG Yong, WU Jianping, “Dynamic load balancing mechanism in WLAN Based on Power Control and Location Information”, Journal of Xiamen University(Natural Science), vol.46, Sup 2, Nov. 2007.
(27) Andrea Goldsmith, “Wireless Communications”, Stanford University, 2004.
(28) Yin Zhongqiu, Shi Chunhe, Chen Mingsheng, Liu Shuzhong, “A White and Gaussian White Noise Generator with Adjustable Parameters”, Fire Control and Command Control, 2008.08.
(29) Wang Pengyu, Zhai Lili, Shi Jufeng, “Design of Gaussian White Noise Generator with Adjustable Parameters Based on FPGA”, Shipboard Electronic Countermeasure, doi: 10.3969/j.issn.1673-9167.2013.04.029
(30) Eduard Garcia Villegas, Elena López-Aguilera, Rafael Vidal, Josep Paradells, “Effect of adjacent-channel interference in IEEE 802.11 WLANs”, Cognitive Radio Oriented Wireless Networks and Communications, 2007. 2nd International Conference, doi:10.1109/crowncom.2007.4549783.