Resource Allocation Algorithm for Improving Performance of the OFDMA Based Connection Oriented Networks
Keywords:OFDMA, Resource Allocation, Radio Resource, Connection Oriented Networks, Wireless Networks, Algorithms, Graphs, QualNet, Cross Layer.
To enhance network performance, PHY and MAC layer has direct influence besides other factors as these are major layers of OSI based communication system. One way of enhancing network performance is the managing the radio resources intelligently. As cross layer based systems might be faster responding in case of network resource distribution and due to the spectrum limitation for commercial use, there are active researches in this area that targets to enhance the network users’ experience, though RA might be considered as an evergreen topic for all evolving communication systems. This paper aims to focus specifically on how to increase throughput and delay performance leading to overall higher system performance and fairness. We use techniques of graph theoretic tools and optimization mechanism in our solution to improve radio resource allocation. After we optimize the subcarrier allocation using cross layer interaction of mainly MAC and PHY, the final assignment is done along with power allocation to all users. Then we reevaluate each new incoming resource request and use threshold based allocation techniques to cater for more users. Besides showing the performance enhancement we also show the fairness comparison to other existing state of the art research as benchmarking by means of simulation.
(1) Zukang Shen ; Wireless Networking & Commun. Group, Univ. of Texas, Austin, TX, USA; Andrews, J.G. ; Evans, B.L., “Adaptive resource allocation in multiuser OFDM systems with proportional rate constraints”, Wireless Communications, IEEE Transactions on (Volume:4, Issue: 6 ).
(2) Loutfi Nuaymi, “WiMAX: Technology for Broadband Wireless Access”, ISBN: 978-0-470-02808-7, Wiley, 2007.
(3) Jian Zhu ; Sch. of Electr. & Comput. Eng., Georgia Inst. of Technol., Atlanta, GA, USA ; Bing, B. ; Ye Geoffrey Li ; Jun Xu ,“An adaptive subchannel allocation algorithm for OFDM-based wireless home networks.”, Consumer Communications and Networking Conference, 2004. CCNC 2004.
(4) ProfNizar Zorba, Charalambos Skianis and Christos Verikoukis, “Cross Layer Designs In Wlan Systems”.
(5) Sofoklis A. Kyriazakos George T. Karetsos, “Practical radio resource management for wireless systems”, The Artech House Universal Personal Communications Series.
(6) Vasileios D. Papoutsis, Ioannis G. Fraimis, and Stavros A. Kotsopoulos, “A Novel Fairness-Aware Resource Allocation Scheme in Multiuser SISO-OFDMA Downlink”, International Journal of Vehicular Technology Volume 2010 (2010), Article ID 432762
(7) J. Jang and K. B. Lee, “Transmit power adaptation for multiuser OFDM systems,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 21, no. 2, pp. 171–178, 2003.
(8) G. Li and H. Liu, “On the optimality of the OFDMA network,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 9, no. 5, pp. 438–440, 2005.
(9) S. Boyd and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2004.
(10) H. Rohling and R. Gruenheid, “Performance comparison of different multiple access schemes for the downlink of an OFDM communication system,” in Proceedings of the 47th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC ’97), pp. 1365– 1369, Phoenix, Fla, USA, May 1997.
(11) C. Y. Wong, R. S. Cheng, K. B. Letaief, and R. D. Murch, “Multiuser OFDM with adaptive subcarrier, bit, and power allocation,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 17, no. 10, pp. 1747–1758, 1999.
(12) G. Zhang, “Subcarrier and bit allocation for real-time services in multiuser OFDM systems,” in Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, pp. 2985–2989, Paris, France, June 2004.
(13) G. Yu, Z. Zhang, Y. Chen, J. Shi, and P. Qiu, “A novel resource allocation algorithm for real-time services inmultiuser OFDM systems,” in Proceedings of the 63rd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC ’06), pp. 1156–1160, Melbourne, Australia, May 2006.
(14) D. Kivanc, G. Li, and H. Liu, “Computationally efficient bandwidth allocation and power control for OFDMA,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 2, no. 6, pp. 1150–1158, 2003.
(15) C. Y. Wong, C. Y. Tsui, R. S. Cheng, and K. B. Letaief, “A real-time sub-carrier allocation scheme for multiple access downlink OFDM transmission,” in Proceedings of the 50th IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC ’99), vol. 2, pp. 1124–1128, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 1999.
(16) Q. Wang, J. Xu, and Z. Bu, “Proportional-fair bit and power adaptation in multiuser OFDM systems,” in Proceedings of the 17th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor andMobile Radio Communications, pp. 1–4, Helsinki, Finland, September 2006.
(17) W. Rhee and J. M. Cioffi, “Increase in capacity of multiuser OFDM system using dynamic subchannel allocation,” in Proceedings of the 51st IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC ’00), pp. 1085–1089, Tokyo, Japan, May 2000.
(18) Z. Shen, J. G. Andrews, and B. L. Evans, “Adaptive resource allocation in multiuser OFDM systems with proportional rate constraints,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 4, no. 6, pp. 2726–2736, 2005.
(19) I. C. Wong, Z. Shen, B. L. Evans, and J. G. Andrews, “A low complexity algorithm for proportional resource allocation in OFDMA systems,” in Proceedings of IEEE Workshop on Signal Processing Systems Design and Implementation, pp. 1–6, Austin, Tex, USA, October
(20) S. Sadr, A. Anpalagan, and K. Raahemifar, “Suboptimal rate
adaptive resource allocation for downlink OFDMA systems,” International Journal of Vehicular Technology, vol. 2009, Article ID 891367, 10 pages, 2009.
(21) C. Mohanram and S. Bhashyam, “A sub-optimal joint subcarrier and power allocation algorithm for multiuser OFDM,” IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 9, no. 8, pp. 685–687, 2005.
(22) Y. J. Zhang and K. B. Letaief, “Multiuser adaptive subcarrierand- bit allocation with adaptive cell selection for OFDM systems,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol.3, no. 5, pp. 1566–1575, 2004.
(23) Z.Mao and X.Wang, “Efficient optimal and suboptimal radio resource allocation in OFDMA system,” IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, vol. 7, no. 2, Article ID 4450806, pp. 440–445, 2008.
(24) K. A. D. Teo, Y. Otani, and S. Ohno, “Adaptive subcarrier allocation for multi-user OFDM system,” IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals of Electronics, Communications and Computer Sciences, vol. E89-A, no. 11, pp. 3131–3137, 2006.
(25) Y. Ma, “Rate maximization for downlink OFDMA with proportional fairness,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 57, no. 5, pp. 3267–3274, 2008.
(26) A. Biagioni, R. Fantacci, D.Marabissi, and D. Tarchi, “Adaptive subcarrier allocation schemes for wireless OFDMA systems in wimax networks,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, vol. 27, no. 2, Article ID 4769396, pp. 217– 225, 2009.
(27) I. Kim, H. L. Lee, B. Kim, and Y. H. Lee, “On the use of linear programming for dynamic subchannel and bit allocation in multiuser OFDM,” in Proceedings of the IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference (GLOBECOM ’01), pp. 3648–3652, San Antonio, Calif, USA, November 2001.