Computational Intelligence for Congestion Control and Quality of Service Improvement in Wireless Sensor Networks
Keywords:Computational Intelligence, Congestion Control, Wireless Sensor Networks
Congestion and quality of service are widely researched topics in Wireless Sensor Networks in recent years. Many researchers proposed and compared the merits and demerits of various algorithms with the existing algorithms. The major challenge lies in developing an algorithm which optimizes the various performance parameters like packet drop ratio, residual energy and throughput of the network. Focus of the present work is to reduce congestion and improve quality of service by applying various metaheuristic or computational intelligence techniques which can optimize performance parameters. An objective function is formulated on the basis of factors like residual energy, throughput, distance between nodes and the number of retransmissions and its value is optimized by using various nature inspired computational intelligence techniques and their results are compared. Simulation results have shown that water wave algorithm outperforms all the other algorithms on the basis of packet drop ratio and throughput of wireless sensor network.
(1) J. Long, H. Zhang, O. W.W. Yang, A Queueing performance comparison of Extended proportional controller in TCP Traffic Control, Proceedings of IEEE Canadian Conference on Electrical and Computer Engineering, IEEE, vol.2, Montréal , 4-7 May 2003. p. 973 – 976.
(2) Zhai. H, Chen. X, Fang. Y, Rate-Based Transport control for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Proceedings of 2005 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, WCNC 2005. 4:p. 2264 - 2269
(3) G. Anastasi, E. Anallatti, M. Conti, A. Passarella, TPA: a Transpart Protocol for AD hoc Networks, Proceedings of 10th IEEE symposium on computers and communications, IEEE, 27-30 June 2005. p. 51-56.
(4) M. Elshakankiri, Y. Damroury, A quality of service protocol for Mobile Ad hoc Networks, Proceedings of IEEE 46th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, IEEE, Vol. 1, 27-30 Dec. 2003. p. 490-495.
(5) K. Chen, Y. Xue, K. Nahrstedt, On setting TCP's congestion window limit in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Communications, Vol. 2 , IEEE, 11-15 May 2003. p. 1080 - 1084.
(6) H. Xu. H, X. Wang, C.K. Toh, Comparative analysis of scheduling algorithms in Ad Hoc Mobile Networking, Proceedings of Sixth international conference on parallel and distributed computing, Applications and Technologies, IEEE, Dec. 2005. p.639 - 643.
(7) A. Legout, E.W. Biersack, Revisiting the fair queueing paradigm for End to End congestion control, IEEE Network, 2002. 16( 5): p. 38 - 46.
(8) D. Kim, C. K. Toh, H. J. Jeong, An early Retransmission Technique to improve TCP performance for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, Proceedings of 15th IEEE International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Radio
Communications, PIMRC 2004. 4: p. 2695 – 2699.
(9) A. Kumar, L. Jacold, A. L. Ananda, SCTP Vs TCP: Performance comparison in MANETs, Proceedings of 29th Annual IEEE International Conference on Local Computer Networks, IEEE, 16-18 Nov. 2004. p. 431 – 432.
(10) D. Kim, H. Bae, C.K. Toh, Improving TCP-vegas performance over MANET Routing protocols, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, 2007. 56(1): p. 372 – 377
(11) A.A. Abouzeid, M. Azizoglu , Comprehensive performance analysis of a TCP session over a Wireless Fading Link with Queueing, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication, 2003. 2(2): p. 344 - 356
(12) V.S. Mansouri, B. Afsari, H. Shahmansouri, A simple Transport protocol for wireless sensor Networks, Proceedings of the 2005 International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing Conference, IEEE, 5-8 Dec. 2005. p. 127 - 131.
(13) S. Hashmi, H. T. Mouftah, N. D. Georganas, A New Transport layer Sensor network protocol, Proceedings of IEEE Canadian Conference on electrical and Computer Engineering, Ottawa, May 2006. p. 1116 - 1119.
(14) I. Stoica, S. Shenker, H. Zhang, Core-Stateless Fair Queueing : Achieving approximately fair bandwidth allocations in high speed Networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking , 2003. 11(1): p. 33 – 46
(15) G. Chandrashekar, S. S. Manvi, Fuzzy Logic based Congestion control in Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks, International Journal of Latest Trends in Engineering and Technology, 2014. 4(2):p.216-221
(16) L. Cheng, Z. Yong, X. Wei-xin, Traffic Regulation based Congestion Control Algorithm in Sensor Networks, Journal of Information Hiding and Multimedia Signal Processing, 2014. 5(2): p. 187-198.
(17) S. Meshram, R. V. Bobate, S. Chaturvedi, Congestion Control by Multiagent in Wireless Sensor Network, International Journal of Software and Web Sciences, 2013. 5(1): p. 37-41
(18) R.G. Aghaei, A.M. Rahman, M.A. Rahman, W. Gueaieb, Ant Colony-Based Many-to-One Sensory Data Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks, Proceedings of IEEE/ACS International Conference on Computer Systems and Applications, IEEE, Doha , March 31- April 4 2008. p. 1005 - 1010.
(19) K. Saleem, N. Fisal, M.A. Baharudin, A.A. Ahmed, S. Hafizah, S. Kamilah, Ant Colony inspired Self-Optimized Routing Protocol based on Cross Layer Architecture for Wireless Sensor Networks, WSEAS transactions on communications, 2010. 9(10): p.669-678
(20) A. Raha, M.K. Naskar, A. Paul, A. Chakraborty, A. Karmakar, A Genetic Algorithm Inspired Load Balancing Protocol for Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks using Trust Based Routing Framework, I.J. Computer Network and Information Security, 2013. 9: p. 9-20
(21) A. Verma, N. Mittal, Congestion Controlled WSN using Genetic Algorithm with different Source and Sink Mobility Scenarios, International Journal of Computer Applications, 2014. 101(13):p. 8-15
(22) G. Naveena, H. H. Babu, Dynamic Congestion Control with Multihop Scheduling Algorithm For Mobile Ad-Hoc Network, International Journal of Innovative Research in Computer and Communication Engineering, 2014. 2(1): p. 2011-2015
(23) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M. and Singh, S.B., Firefly algorithm based clustering technique for Wireless Sensor Networks, in: Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), 23-25 March 2016.
(24) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M. and Singh, S.B., Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks Based on Bioluminescent Firefly Behavior, Wireless Sensor Network , 2015. 7: p. 149-156
(25) R. Ding, L. Yang, A Reactive Geographic Routing Protocol for Wireless Sensor Networks, Proceeding of 6th International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing (ISSNIP), Brisbane, 7-10 December 2010. p. 31-36.
(26) L. Alazzawi, A. Elkateeb, Performance Evaluation of the WSN Routing Protocols Scalability, Journal of Computer Systems, Networks, and Communications, Vol. 2008 , 2008.
(27) X..S. Yang, A. H. Gandomi, Bat algorithm: a novel approach for global engineering optimization, Engineering Computations, 2012. 29(5): p. 464-483
(28) A. H. Gandomi , X.S. Yang, Chaotic Bat Algorithm, Journal of Computational Science, 2014: 5(2): p. 224–232
(29) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M. and Singh, S.B., Bio Inspired Congestion Control Mechanism for Wireless Sensor Networks, in: Proceedings. of 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research (ICCIC), Madurai, India , December, 2015.
(30) X..S. Yang, Xingshi He, Firefly Algorithm: Recent Advances and Applications, Int. J. of Swarm Intelligence, 2013. 1(1): p. 36-50
(31) X..S. Yang, Firefly algorithms for multimodal optimization, Stochastic Algorithms: Foundations and Applications, Lecture Notes in Computer Sciences, 2009. 5792: p. 169–178
(32) Y.J. Zheng, Water wave optimization: A New Nature-inspired Metaheuristic, Computers & Operations Research, 2015. 55: p. 1–11
(33) Manshahia, M.S., Water Wave Optimization Algorithm based Congestion Control and Quality of Service Improvement in Wireless Sensor Networks, Transactions on Networks and Communications, 2017. 5(4): p .31-39
(34) P. Antoniou, A. Pitsillides, T. Blackwell, A. Engelbrecht and L. Michael, Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks based on Bird Flocking Behavior, Computer Networks, 2013. 57(5): p. 1167–1191
(35) R. C. Eberhart, J. A Kennedy, New optimizer using particle swarm theory, Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micromachine and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, 1995. p. 39-43
(36) J. Kennedy, R.C. Eberhart, Particle swarm optimization, Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Piscataway, NJ, 1995. p. 1942-1948
(37) Marco Dorigo, Thomas Stützle, The Ant Colony Optimization Metaheuristic: Algorithms, Applications, and Advances, Handbook of Metaheuristics, Volume 57 of the series International Series in Operations Research & Management Science, 2003. p. 250-285, (ISBN: 978-0-306-48056-0)
(38) Marco Dorigo, Gianni Di Caro, The ant colony optimization meta-heuristic, New ideas in optimization, McGraw-Hill Ltd., UK Maidenhead, UK, England, 1999. p.11-32 (ISBN: 0-07-709506-5)
(39) C.Y. Wan, S.B. Eisenman and A.T. Campbell, CODA: Congestion Detection and Avoidance in Sensor Networks, Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Embedded networked sensor systems, sensys 03, Los Angels, USA, Nov 5-7, 2003. p. 266-279
(40) Mukhdeep Singh, S.B. Singh, Mayank Dave, Congestion Control in Computer Networks, Ultrascientist: International Journal of Physical Sciences, 2008. 20(2m)
(41) F. Paganini, Z. Wang, J.C. Doyle,S.H. Low, Congestion control for high performance, stability and fairness in general networks, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking Los Angeles, 2005. 13: p. 43-56
(42) Manshahia, M.S., Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey, International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, 2016. 7(4): p. 710-716
(43) Manshahia, M.S., A Firefly Based Energy Efficient Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks, African Journal of Computing & ICT, 2015. 8(4): p. 27-32
(44) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M. and Singh, S.B, Improved Bat Algorithm Based Energy Efficient Congestion Control Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks, Wireless Sensor Network, 2016. 8: p. 229-241