A Dynamic Clustering Approach for Maximizing Scalability in Wireless Sensor Networ
Keywords:WSN, energy-efficient, K-means, LEACH, clustering,
Scalability is an important and crucial issue which in routing protocols for Wireless Sensor Networks (WSNs). In this paper, we present an approach to achieving a balanced energy consumption rate using dynamic clustering to provide scalability in WSN. The proposed work in this paper is based on the dynamic clustering using k-means compared to LEACH (Low-Energy Adaptive Clustering Hierarchy), which is one of the most simple and effective clustering solutions widely deployed for WSN. The simulation results show that our proposed algorithm significantly improves high network scalability compared to LEACH.
(1) A. A. ABBASI and M. YOUNIS, “A survey on clustering algorithms for wireless sensor networks,” Computer communications, vol. 30, no 14, pp. 2826–2841, 2007.
(2) I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Computer Networks, vol 38, no 4, pp. 393–422, 2002.
(3) A. Khan, T. Israfil, A. Emdad and A. A. Muhammad, “Multiple Parameter Based Clustering (MPC): Prospective Analysis for Effective Clustering in Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Using K-Means Algorithm,” Wireless Sensor Network, pp. 18–24, no 4, 2012.
(4) M. N. JOSHI, “Parallel k-means algorithm on distributed memory multiprocessors,” Computer, vol. 9, 2003.
(5) K. Akkaya, and Y. Mohamed, “A survey on routing protocols for wireless sensor networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, no 3 , pp. 325–349, 2005.
(6) L, Xu, O. GMP and R Collier, “A Balanced Energy-Efficient Multihop Clustering Scheme for WSN,” Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference WMNC, pp. 1–8, May 2014.
(7) X. Liu, “A survey on clustering routing protocols in wireless sensor networks,” Sensors , vol. 12, no 8, pp. 11113–11153, 2012.
(8) G. Gupta and M. Younis, “Load-Balanced Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks,” Proceedings of the International Conference on Communication, vol. 3, pp. 1848–1852, Anchorage, Alaska, May 2003.
(9) A. A. ABABNEH and E. AL-ZBOUN, “EDAC: A Novel Energy-Aware Clustering Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks, ” International Journal of Advanced Computer Science & Applications, vol. 1, no 7, pp. 333–338, 2016.
(10) W, Heinzelman, A. Chandrakasan and H. Balakrishnan, “Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless sensor,” Proceeding of the Hawaii International,vol. 2, pp.10, Hawaii, January 2000.
(11) R. Kaur, D. Sharma and N. Kaur, “Comparative Analysis Of Leach And Its Descendant Protocols In Wireless Sensor Network,” International Journal of P2P Network Trends and Technology, vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 51–55, 2013
(12) H. Kalkha, H. Satori and K. Satori, “Performance Analysis of AODV and LEACH Routing Protocol,” The International Journal of Multi-disciplinary Sciences - ISSN: 2421-9606, Issue 2 , vol. 2 , pp. 56–60, February - March 2016.
(13) N. Nasri, A. WEI, A. Kachouri and S. E. Khediri, “A New Approach for Clustering in Wireless Sensors Networks,” International Workshop on Wireless Networks and Energy Saving Techniques (WNTEST), vol. 32, pp. 1180–1185, Elsevier, 2014.
(14) O. Younis and S. Fahmy, “HEED: a hybrid, energy-efficient, distributed clustering approach for ad hoc sensor networks,” IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, vol.3, no 4, pp. 366–379, 2004.
(15) S. Lindsey and C. Raghavendra, “PEGASIS: Power-Efficient Gathering in Sensor Information Systems,” IEEE Aerospace Conf. Proc 3, pp. 3-1125 - 3-1130, 2002.
(16) K. P. Noufal, “ Wireless Sensor Networks – Scalability and
Performance Issues: A Review,” IJCST, vol. 6, Issue 1, pp. 139–140, Jan - March 2015.
(17) J. N. AL-KARAKI and A. E. KAMAL, “Routing techniques in wireless sensor networks: a survey,” IEEE wireless communications, vol. 11, no 6, pp. 6–28.
(18) P. Vipin, S. Girdhari and R. P. YADAV, “Energy efficient clustering scheme for wireless sensor networks: a survey,” Journal of Wireless Networking and Communications, vol. 2, no 6, pp. 168–174, 2012.
(19) S. GANESH and R. AMUTHA, “Efficient and secure routing protocol for wireless sensor networks through SNR based dynamic clustering mechanisms,” Journal of Communications and Networks, vol. 15, no 4, pp. 422–429, 2013.
(20) L. K. Alazzawi, A. M. Elkateeb, A. Ramesh, and W. Aljuhar, “Scalability Analysis for Wireless Sensor Networks Routing Protocols,” 22nd International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, IEEE, pp. 139–144,
(21) J. H. Chang and L. Tassiulas, “Energy conserving routing in wireless ad hoc networks”, Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 22–31, Mar. 2000.
(22) C. K. Toh, “Maximum battery life routing to support ubiquitous mobile computing in wireless ad hoc networks”, IEEE Communications Magazine, pp. 138–147, June 2001.
(23) D. M. Blough and P. Santi, “Investigating upper bounds on network lifetime extension for cell-based energy conservation techniques in stationary ad hoc networks,” Proceedings of the 8th annual international conference on Mobile computing and networking, ACM, pp. 183–192, 2002.
(24) N. A. Pantazis and S. A. Nikolidakis, “Vergados, Energy-Efficient Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks: A Survey,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. 15, no. 2, pp. 551–591, 2013.
(25) L. ALAZZAWI and ELKATEEB, “Performance evaluation of the WSN routing protocols scalability,” Journal of Computer
Systems, Networks, and Communications, 2009.
(26) P. Sasikumar, S. Khara, “k-MEANS Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks”, Fourth International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Communication Networks, IEEE, pp. 140–144, 2012.
(27) V. Kawadia, P. R. Kumar, “Power Control and Clustering in Ad Hoc Networks,” Proceedings of IEEE INFOCOM. San Francisco, CA, pp. 459–469, March 2003.
(28) J. YICK, B. MUKHERJEE, and D. GHOSAL, “Wireless sensor network survey,” Computer networks 52, no. 12, pp. 2292–2330, 2008.
(29) F. ZHAO, Y. XU and R. LI., “Improved LEACH Routing Communication Protocol for a Wireless Sensor Network,” International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks ,2012.
(30) Network Simulator 2: Version 3.35,http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/, AccessedJanuary 2016.
(31) I. F. Akyildiz, W. Su, Y. Sankarasubramaniam, and E. Cayirci, “Wireless sensor networks: a survey,”Computer networks, vol. 38, no. 4, pp. 393–422, 2002.