Comparative Study of Exact Continuous Orthogonal Moments Applications : Local Feature Extraction and Data Compression
Keywords:Exact continuous moments, Legendre moments, Zernike moments, Pseudo-Zernike moments, Gegenbauer moments, Overlapping block, Feature extraction, Compression.
This paper present an improved reconstruction algorithm of the multi-gray level images based on overlapping block method using exact continuous moments computation: Legendre , Zernike, Pseudo-Zernike and Gegenbauer moments . We solve the artifact issue caused by unitary block reconstruction which affects the visual image quality. This method aim to ensure high accuracy and low computation time, using only small finite number of moments. Our approaches aims to introduce these moments in the field of data compression and local feature extraction for pattern recognition. Experimental results show the superiority of our proposed approaches over the existing methods.
(1) M. K. Hu, “Visual problem recognition by moment invariant,” IRE Trans. Inform. Theory, vol. IT-8, pp. 179-187, Feb. 1962.
(2) M. Teague, “Image analysis via the general theory of moments,” J. Opt. Soc. Amer., vol. 70, no. 8, pp. 920-930, 1980
(3) C.-H. Teh and R. T. Chin, “On image analysis by the
methods of moments,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, vol. 10, no. 4, pp. 496–513, 1988.
(4) Krawtchook liao
(5) J. Haddadnia, K. Faez, and P. Moallem, “Neural network based face recognition with moment invariants,” Proceedings of ICIP2001, Thessaloniki, Greece, pp. 1018-1021, 2001.
(6) A. Khotanzad, Y.H. Hong, "Invariant image recognition by Zernike moments", IEEETrans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell. 12 (1990) 489–497
(7) R. Luo, T. Lin, Finger crease pattern recognition using Legendre moments and principal component analysis, Chin. Opt. Lett. 5(3), 160–163 (2007).
(8) P.-T. Yap, R. Paramesran, “An efﬁcient method for the computation of Legendre moments,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Mach. Intell, vol. 27, no. 12, pp. 1996–2002,2005
(9) K.M. Hosny, “Exact Legendre moment computation for gray
level images,” Pattern Recognition, vol. 40, no. 12, pp. 3597–3605, 2007.
(10) K.M. Hosny, "Fast computation of accurate Zernike moments", Journal of Real-Time Image Processing 3 (2008) 97–107.
(11) K.M. Hosny, K.M. "Fast computation of accurate Pseudo-Zernike moments for binary and gray-level images". Int Arab J Inf Technol., 2014, 11, (3).
(12) K.M. Hosny, "Image representation using accurate orthogonal Gegenbauer moments". Pattern Recognit. Lett. 2011, 32, (6), pp. 795–804
(13) H. El Fadili, K. Zenkouar and H. Qjidaa, “Lapped block image analysis via the method of Legendre moments,” EURASIP Journal on Applied Signal Processing, vol. 2003, no.9, pp. 902-913, 2003.
(14) Z. Bahaoui, K. Zenkouar, H. El fadili, H.Qjidaa, A.Zarghili, Global overlapping block based reconstruction using exact Legendre moments, CIST (2014), pp. 323 - 328.
(15) Z. Bahaoui, K. Zenkouar, H. El fadili, H.Qjidaa, A.Zarghili, blocking artifact removal using partial overlapping based on exact Legendre moments computation, Journal of Real-Time Image Processing, (DOI :10.1007/s11554-014-0465-3) (2014)1861-8200.
(16) S.G. Mallat, A theory for multiresolution signal decomposition the wavelet representation, IEEE Trans. Pattern Anal. Machine Intel. 11 (7) 1989.
(17) H. Zenkouar, A. Nachit, "Images compression using moments method of orthogonal polynomials", Materials Science and Engineering: B, 49(3), pp. 211–215 (1997)
(18) ISO/IEC 10918-1, Digital compression and coding of continuous-tone still images: requirements and guidelines, February, 1994.
(19) Reeve III, H.C., Lim, J.S.: Reduction of blocking effect in image coding, Proceedings of ICASSP 83, 1212 -1215 (1988).
(20) Z. Wang, A. C. Bovik, H. R. Sheikh, and E. P. Simoncelli, “Image quality assessment: From error visibility to structural similarity,” Image Processing, IEEE Transactions on, 2004, vol.
, no. 4, pp. 600–612