Comparative Study of Harris and Active Contour using Viola-Jones Algorithm for Facial Landmarks Detection
Keywords:Harris corner detector, Snake, facial features, Viola and Jones, image processing.
In this paper, we present a comparative study of two methods: Harris corners detector (H) and Active Contour detector (A.C) using Viola-Jones algorithm (V.J) for facial landmarks (eyes, nose, mouth) corners detection. These methods were implemented on two face databases; ECVP and FEI databases with combination of two methods (V.J + H) and (V.J + A.C). Experimental results showed that (V.J +A.C) gives a higher rate of detection than (V.J + H) method.
P. Viola and M. Jones, “Rapid object detection using a boosted cascade of simple features,” in Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, 2001. CVPR 2001. Proceedings of the 2001 IEEE Computer Society Conference on, 2001, vol. 1, pp. I–511.
(2) Y. Freund and R. E. Schapire, “A desicion-theoretic generalization of on-line learning and an application to boosting,” in European conference on computational learning theory, 1995, pp. 23–37.
(3) D. Vukadinovic and M. Pantic, “Fully automatic facial feature point detection using Gabor feature based boosted classifiers,” in 2005 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, 2005, vol. 2, pp. 1692–1698.
(4) C. Schmid, R. Mohr, and C. Bauckhage, “Evaluation of interest point detectors,” Int. J. Comput. Vis., vol. 37, no. 2, pp. 151–172, 2000.
(5) C. Harris and M. Stephens, “A combined corner and edge detector.,” in Alvey vision conference, 1988, vol. 15, p. 50.
(6) M. Kass, A. Witkin, and D. Terzopoulos, “Snakes:
Active contour models,” Int. J. Comput. Vis., vol. 1, no. 4, pp. 321–331, 1988.
(7) D. C. E. Thomaz, “FEI Face Database.” [Online]. Available: http://fei.edu.br/~cet/facedatabase.html. (accessed 17.03.25)
(8) P. Hancock, “Utrecht UCVP database.” [Online]. Available: http://pics.psych.stir.ac.uk/2D_face_sets.html (accessed 17.03.25)
(9) R. Lienhart and J. Maydt, “An extended set of haar-like features for rapid object detection,” in Image Processing. 2002. Proceedings. 2002 International Conference on, 2002, vol. 1, pp. I–900.
(10) F. Abdat, C. Maaoui, and A. Pruski, “Suivi du gradient pour la localisation des caractéristiques faciales dans des images statiques,” in 21° Colloque GRETSI, Troyes, FRA, 11-14 septembre 2007, 2007.