Traffic Sign Detection and Recognition for Driving Assistance System
In this paper, we present a traffic sign detection and recognition for a driving assistance system. The proposed approach consists of two subsystems for detection and recognition. First, the road sign detection subsystem adopts the color information to filter out most of irrelevant image regions. Image segmentation and hierarchical grouping are then used to select candidate regions of road signs. For the road sign recognition subsystem, a convolutional neural network (CNN) is adopted to classify traffic signs for candidate regions. Experimental results show that our approach can obtain the desired results effectively.
(1) S. Arora, A. Bhaskara, R. Ge, and T. Ma, “Provable bounds for learning some deep representations,” in Proceedings of the 31st International Conference on International Conference on Machine Learning - Volume 32, ser. ICML’14. JMLR.org, 2014, pp. I–584–I–592.
(2) C. Bahlmann, Y. Zhu, V. Ramesh, M. Pellkofer, and T. Koehler, “A system for traffic sign detection, tracking, and recognition using color, shape, and motion information,” in IEEE Proceedings. Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, 2005., June 2005, pp. 255–260.
(3) R. Belaroussi and J.P. Tarel, “A real-time road sign detection using bilateral chinese transform,” in Proceedings of the 5th International Symposium on Advances in Visual Computing: Part II, ser. ISVC ’09. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag, 2009, pp. 1161–1170
(4) R. Belaroussi and J.P. Tarel, “Angle vertex and bisector geometric model for triangular road sign detection,” in 2009 Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision (WACV), Dec 2009, pp. 1–7.
(5) Broggi, P. Cerri, P. Medici, P.P. Porta, and G. Ghisio, “Real time road signs recognition,” in 2007 IEEE Intelligent Vehicles Symposium, June 2007, pp. 981–986.
(6) D. Cirean, U. Meier, J. Masci, and J. Schmidhuber, “A committee of neural networks for traffic sign classification,” in The 2011 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, July 2011, pp. 1918–1921.
(7) De La Escalera, J.M. Armingol, J.M. Pastor, and F.J. Rodriguez, “Visual sign information extraction and identification by deformable models for intelligent vehicles,” Trans. Intell. Transport. Sys., vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 57–68, Jun. 2004.
(8) de la Escalera, L.E. Moreno, M.A. Salichs, and J.M. Armingol, “Road traffic sign detection and classification,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 44, no. 6, pp. 848–859, Dec 1997.
(9) C.Y. Fang, S.W. Chen, and C.S. Fuh, “Road-sign detection and tracking,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 52, no. 5, pp. 1329–1341, Sept 2003.
(10) P.F. Felzenszwalb and D.P. Huttenlocher, “Efficient graph-based image segmentation,” Int. J. Comput. Vision, vol. 59, no. 2, pp. 167–181, Sep. 2004.
(11) J. Greenhalgh and M. Mirmehdi, “Real-time detection and recognition of road traffic signs,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 13, no. 4, pp. 1498–1506, Dec 2012.
(12) S.C. Huang, H.Y. Lin, C.C. Chang. An in-car camera system for traffic sign. Proceedings of the Joint 17th World Congress of International Fuzzy Systems Association and 9th International Conference on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems, Detection and Recognition, Otsu, Japan, June 2017.
(13) W.C. Huang and C.H. Wu, “Adaptive color image processing and recognition for varying backgrounds and illumination conditions,” IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 45, no. 2, pp. 351–357, Apr 1998.
(14) D.L. Kellmeyer and H.T. Zwahlen, “Detection of highway warning signs in natural video images using color image processing and neural networks,” in Neural Networks, 1994. IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence., 1994 IEEE International Conference on, vol. 7, Jun 1994, pp. 4226–4231.
(15) Krizhevsky, I. Sutskever, and G.E. Hinton, “Imagenet classification with deep convolutional neural networks,” in Proceedings of the 25th International Conference on Neural Information Processing Systems, ser. NIPS’12. USA: Curran Associates Inc., 2012, pp. 1097–1105.
(16) W.J. Kuo and C.C. Lin, “Two-stage road sign detection and recognition,” in 2007 IEEE International Conference on Multimedia and Expo, July 2007, pp. 1427–1430.
(17) S. Maldonado-Bascon, S. Lafuente-Arroyo, P. Gil-Jimenez, H. Gomez-Moreno, and F. Lopez-Ferreras, “Road-sign detection and recognition based on support vector machines,” IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, vol. 8, no. 2, pp. 264–278, June 2007.
(18) J. Miura, T. Kanda, and Y. Shirai, “An active vision system for realtime traffic sign recognition,” in ITSC2000. 2000 IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems. Proceedings (Cat. No.00TH8493), 2000, pp. 52–57.
(19) L. Pacheco, J. Batlle, and X. Cufi, “A new approach to real time traffic sign recognition based on colour information,” in Intelligent Vehicles’94 Symposium, Proceedings of the, Oct 1994, pp. 339–344.
(20) P. Sermanet and Y. LeCun, “Traffic sign recognition with multi-scale convolutional networks,” in The 2011 International Joint Conference on Neural Networks, July 2011, pp. 2809–2813.
(21) W.D. Shaposhnikov, D.G. Shaposhnikov, L. N, E.V. Golovan, and A. Shevtsova, “Road sign recognition by single positioning of space-variant sensor,” in Proc. 15th International Conference on Vision Interface, 2002, p. 2002.
(22) S. Vitabile, A. Gentile, and F. Sorbello, “A neural network based automatic road signs recognizer,” in Neural Networks, 2002. IJCNN ’02. Proceedings of the 2002 International Joint Conference on, vol. 3, 2002, pp. 2315–2320.