Needs for Consultancy of Vietnam high school students
A case study
This paper investigates the needs for consultancy of Vietnam high school students in resolving obstacles encountered in their academic and daily lives. Data are collected from a survey on 253 teachers and 1,089 students of 6 high schools in the urban and suburban areas (represented by Hanoi, Hochiminh City, and Thanh Hoa province) in the Northern, Southern and Central Region. It has been found that students face a range of difficulties on a regular basis and to different degrees. As such, they adopt certain solutions to specific issues. In this paper, teachers' consultancy is studied in order to figure out whether it is an option favored by students, and what they expect from teachers ‘advice. Results show that although teachers are not hard to be reached, students rarely seek their advice since they hold higher expectations for consultancy than what their teachers can offer.
2. Carkhuff, R. R. (1968). Differential functioning of lay and professional helpers. Journal of Counseling Psychology, 15(2), 117-126
3. Dougherty, A. M. (1990). Consultation: Practice and perspectives. Thomson Brooks/Cole.
4. Gouvernement du Québec Ministère de l’Éducation (2004), Québec Education Program Secondary School Education, Cycle One, Legal Deposit—Bibliothèque nationale du Québec
5. Huefner, D. S. (1988). The consulting teacher model: Risks and opportunities. Exceptional Children, 54(5), 403-414;
6. Idol-Maestas, L. (1981). A teacher training model: The resource/consulting teacher. Behavioral Disorders, 108-121.;
7. OECD (2002), Definition and Selection of Competencies: Theoretical and Conceptual Foundation.
8. Pugach, M. C. (1988). The consulting teacher in the context of educational reform. Exceptional Children, 55(3), 273.
9. Selvi, K. (2010). Teachers’ competencies. Cultura, 7(1), 167-175.
10. Steele, F. (1975). Consulting for organizational change. Univ of Massachusetts Press
11. Yamane, T. (1967). Statistics: An Introductory Analysis, 2nd Edition. New York: Harper and Row
Copyright (c) 2020 NGA LE THI QUYNH, CHAU NGUYEN HUU
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
You are free to:
- Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
- Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material for any purpose, even commercially.