Vertical Handover Study on 4G Category Vs 5G Category for 3GPP Generation Mobile Systems and Non-3GPP Wireless Networks
Keywords:Vertical Handover, Mobile Systems, Wireless Networks, 4G, 5G.
AbstractNowadays, wireless communication technologies have become an integral part of people’s daily life and businesses all over the world. Due to the rapid increase in the number of the Mobile Users (MUs) who demand the service of communicating via wireless access networks, the wireless communication technologies have evolved from the first generation to the fifth generation. The Next Generation Wireless Systems (NGWSs) consists of heterogeneous wireless access networks of 3GPP generation mobile Systems (e.g., UMTS, LTE) and non-3GPP wireless networks (e.g., WiFi, WiMAX), where MUs can access these technologies and services using a single device. This paper presents a study for Vertical Handover (VHO) approaches of 3GPP and non-3GPP proposed in the literature and classifies them into two categories for which their characteristics are discussed.
(1) Haji, A.; Ben Letaifa, A.; Tabbane, S.;, “Integration of WLAN, UMTS and WiMAX in 4G,” 16th International Conference Electronics, Circuits, and Systems 2009 (ICECS 2009), 13-16 Dec 2009, pp. 307-310.
(2) Torad, M.; El Qassas, A.; Al Henawi, H.;, “Comparison between LTE and WiMAX Based on System Level Simulation Using OPNET Modeler (Release 16),” 28th National Radio Science Conference 2011 (NRSC 2011), 26-28 Apr 2011, pp. 1-9.
(3) Guifen, G.; Guili, P.;, “The Survey of GSM Wireless Communication System,” International Conference on Computer and Information Application 2010 (ICCIA 2010), 3-5 Dec 2010, pp. 121-124.
(4) Kazemi, R.; Mosayebi, R.; Etemadi, S.M.; Boloursaz, M.; Behnia, F.;, “A Lower Capacity Bound of Secure End to End Data Transmission via GSM Network,” 6th International Symposium on Telecommunications
(IST 2012), 6-8 Nov 2012, pp. 1015-1020.
(5) Tae, S.K., Soo, W.K.;, “A Method for Reducing a Bumblebee Noise Generated by a GSM Technology in a Smartphone,” 12th International Conference on Intelligent Systems Design and Applications 2012 (ISDA 2012), 27-29 Nov 2012, pp. 927-930.
(6) Nkansah-Gyekye, Y.; Agbinya, J.I.;, “A Vertical Handoff Decision Algorithm for Next Generation Wireless Networks,” 3rd International Conference on Broadband Communications, Information Technology & Biomedical Applications, 23-26 Nov 2008, pp. 358-364.
(7) Yi, B.L.; Yieh, R.H.; Yuan, KC.; Imrich, C.;, “Mobility Management: from GPRS to UMTS,” Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, vol. 1, no. 4, 2001, pp. 339-359.
(8) Darnbrough, J.;, “Market Aspects of UMTS,” IEE Colloquium on Personal Communications in the 21st Century (I), 5 Feb 1998, pp. 1-26.
(9) Rabbani, M.G.; Kamruzzaman, J.; Gondal, I.; Ahmad, I.;, “A new Resource Distribution Model for Improved QoS in an Integrated WiMAX/WiFi Architecture,” 7th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference 2011 (IWCMC 2011), 4-8 Jul 2011, pp. 266-271.
(10) Datar, R.V.;, “WiFi and WiMAX-Break through in Wireless Access Technologies,” IET International Conference on Wireless, Mobile and Multimedia Networks, 11-12 Jan 2008, pp. 141-145.
(11) David, M.S.; Jose, F.M.; Jorge, C.P.; Daniel, C.; Salvador, G.; Narc´ıs, C.;, “On the Way Towards Fourth-Generation Mobile:3GPP LTE and LTE-Advanced,” Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, vol. 2009, no. 4, 2009, pp. 1-10.
(12) Sengar, S.S.; Tyagi, N.; Singh, A.P.;, “A Survey on WiMAX-3G interworking,” 3rd International Conferenceon Communication Software and Networks 2011 (ICCSN 2011), 27-29 May 2011, pp. 54-58.
(13) Ahmadi, S.;, “An Overview of Next-Generation Mobile WiMAX Technology,” IEEE Communication Magazine, vol. 47, no. 6, Jun 2009, pp. 84-98.
(14) Talukdar, A.; Mondal, B.; Cudak, M.; Ghosh, A.; Fan, Wang.;, “Streaming Video Capacity Comparisons of Multi-Antenna LTE Systems,” 71st Vehicular Technology Conference 2010 (VTC 2010-Spring), 16-19 May 2010, pp. 1-5.
(15) Abdullah M.; Sultan, A.; Hassan, A.;, “4G and 5G Mobile Communication Networks: Features Analysis, Comparison and Proposed Architecture,” International Journal of Computer Science and Technology, vol. 7, no. 2, Jun 2016, pp. 154-160.
(16) Arun, A.; Gourav, M.; Kabita A.;, “The 5th Generation Mobile Wireless Networks- Key Concepts, Network Architecture and Challenges,” American Journal of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, vol. 3, no. 2, Mar 2015, pp. 22-28.
(17) 4G LTE World Coverage Map. (2017). WorldTimeZone. Retrieved 16 Apr, 2017, from https://www.worldtimezone.com/4g.html.
(18) 5G Field Testing, Trials, Research, Development World Coverage Map. (2017). WorldTimeZone. Retrieved 16 Apr, 2017, from https://www.worldtimezone.com/5g.html.
(19) Akkari, N.; Tohme, S.;, “Introducing Intelligent Vertical Handover in Next Generation Networks,” International Conference Signal Processing and Communications 2007 (ICSPC 2007), 24-27 Nov 2007, pp. 728-731.
(20) Chang, J.M.; Abichar, Z.; Chau-Yun, H.;, “WiMAX or LTE: Who Will Lead the Broadband Mobile Internet?,” IT Professional, vol. 12, no. 3, May-Jun 2010, pp. 26-32.
(21) Seddigh, N.; Nandy, B.; Makkar, R.; Beaumont, J.F.;, “Security Advances and Challenges in 4G Wireless Networks,” 8th Annual International Conference on Privacy Security and Trust 2010 (PST 2010),
-19 Aug 2010, pp. 62-71.
(22) 3GPP TR 25.814 v7.1.0, “Physical Layer Aspects for Evolved Universal Terrestrial Radio Access (UTRA) Release 7”.
(23) Khan, M.M.A.; Ismail, M.F.; Dimyati, K.;, “Seamless Handover between WiMAX and UMTS,” 9th Malaysia International Conference on Communications 2009 (MICC 2009), 15-17 Dec 2009 pp. 826-830.
(24) Alkhayat, I.; Kumar, A.; Elmaghraby, A.;, “Seamless Connectivity Scheme for Heterogeneous Wireless Networks,” International Symposium on Signal Processing and Information Technology 2008 (ISSPIT 2008),
-19 Dec 2008, pp. 363-368.
(25) Ben-Jye, C.; Jun-Fu, C.;, “Cross-Layer-Based Adaptive Vertical Handoff With Predictive RSS in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks,” IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 57, no. 6, Nov 2008, pp. 3679-3692.
(26) The Mobile Broadband Standard. (Jun/2013). 3rd Generation Partnership Project (3GPP). Retrieved 27 May, 2014, from http://www.3gpp.org/technologies/keywords-acronyms/97-lte-advanced.
(27) Fangmin, X.; Luyong, Z.; Zheng, Z.;, “Interworking of Wimax and
GPP Networks Based on IMS [IP Multimedia Systems (IMS) Infrastructure and Services],” IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 45,
no. 3, Mar 2007, pp. 144-150.
(28) Angoma, B.; Erradi, M.; Benkaouz, Y.; Berqia, A.; Akalay, M.C.;, “HaVe-2W3G: A Vertical Handoff Solution between WLAN, WiMAX and 3G Networks,” 7th International Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conference 2011 (IWCMC 2011), 4-8 Jul 2011, pp. 101-106.
(29) Khattab, O.; Alani, O.;, “A Survey on Media Independent Handover (MIH) and IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS) in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks,” International Journal of Wireless Information Networks (IJWIN), Springer, vol. 20, no. 2, Jun 2013, pp. 215-228.
(30) Khattab, O.; Alani, O.;, “A Survey on MIH vs. ANDSF: Who Will Lead the Seamless Vertical Handover Through Heterogeneous Networks?,” International Journal of Future Generation Communication and Networking (IJFGCN), vol. 6, no. 4, Aug 2013, pp. 1-11.
(31) Ahmed, A.; Boulahia, L.; Gaiti, D.;, “Enabling Vertical Handover Decisions in Heterogeneous Wireless Networks: A State-of-the-Art and A Classification,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, vol. PP, no. 99, 2013, pp. 1-36.
(32) Feras, Z.; Suhaidi, H.; Adib, H.;, “Vertical Handover in Wireless Heterogeneous Networks,” Journal of Telecommunication, Electronic and Computer Engineering, vol. 9, no. 1-2 , 2017, pp. 81-85.