Performance Evaluation of Multi-hop WirelessHART Network on a Real-life Testbed
Keywords:WirelessHART, multi-hop performance analysis
AbstractAdvances in WirelessHART standard in industrial control systems have led to performance evaluation and security analysis in both real-world testbeds as well as in controlled lab environments. We have conducted months-long experiments with WirelessHART network in a multi-hop setting in our laboratory. Latency, stability, and reliability have been used as metrics to measure performance of individual links and the overall network for five hops and seven hops. We have deliberately deviated from following the best practices in designing the topology to study network performance under strained conditions. In addition to using metrics as defined in WirelessHART literature, we have also studied network stability over multiple hops with single paths. Our findings show that having at least one low stability link can have an impact on multihop stability, while still maintaining a very high overall network reliability of 99.98% or higher. Details of the experiment along with results and lessons learned are presented in the paper.
(1) Chen, D., Nixon, M., Mok, A.: WirelessHART Real-time Mesh Network for Industrial Automation, Springer (2014).
(2) Gustafsson, D.: WirelessHART- Implementation and Evaluation of Wireless Sensors. Stockholm, Sweden (2009).
(3) I.E.C: Industrial communication networks - Wireless communication network and communication profiles - WirelessHART™, (2010).. Available: https://webstore.iec.ch/publication/7231. Accessed July 2016.
(4) IEEE: 802.15.4-2015 - IEEE Standard for Low-Rate Wireless Networks (2015). Available: https://standards.ieee.org/findstds/standard/802.15.4-2015.html. Accessed July 2016.
(5) Kim, A.N., Hekland, F. Peterson, S.: When HART goes wireless: Understanding and implementing the WirelessHART standard. In IEEE International Conference on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation, 15-18 Sept (2008).
(6) Linear: SmartMesh WirelessHART. Linear Technology (2016). Available: http://www.linear.com/product/LTP5903-WHR. Accessed June 2016.
(7) Ngneoiepaye A., Tiam, Z.: Integrated Secure Heterogenous Wireless Sensor Network for Data Acquisition, Storage, and Presentation. Sr. Design paper, St Cloud, MN. (2015).
(8) Petersen, S. carlsen, S.: Performance Evaluation of WirelessHART for factory Automation. In IEEE Conference on Emerging Technologies & Factory Automation, Palma de Mallorca, Spain (2009).
(9) Raza, S., Voigt, T.: Interconnecting WirelessHART and Legacy HART. In 6th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing in Sensor Systems Workshops (DCOSSW), Santa Barbara, California, USA (2010).
(10) WirelessHART Technology Standard (2016). Accessed May 2016.