Bandwidth Constrained Multipath Routing Protocol for QoS Provision in MANETs
Keywords:AODV, Bandwidth, MANETs, Multipath, Node-disjoint, QoS, Routing
Mobile Ad hoc NETworks (MANETs) are composed of mobile nodes with limited resources and unpredictable node movement. With the on-going evolution in MANETs, provision of Quality of Service (QoS) has become a challenging task. In this paper, a node disjoint Bandwidth Constrained Multipath Routing (BCMR) protocol is proposed which considers bandwidth as the key factor to discover multiple paths for QoS provisioning. BCMR accommodates required bandwidth function in flooding route request packets. Extensive simulation study is carried out to investigate the performance of BCMR. Simulation results reveal that BCMR significantly reduces overheads, minimizes overall end to end delay and significantly improves packet delivery ratio.
(1) Perkins, C. E., Ad Hoc Networking- An Introduction, Ad Hoc Networking, 2001: p 1-28.
(2) Abolhasan, M., et al., A review of routing protocols for mobile ad hoc networks, Elsevier Journal of Ad hoc Networks, 2004. 2( 1): p. 1–22.
(3) Chen, S. and K. Nahrstedt, K., An overview of quality of service routing for next-generation high-speed networks: problems and solutions, IEEE Network: The magazine of Global Internetworking, 1998. 12(6): p. 64–79.
(4) Chakrabarti, S., QoS issues in ad hoc wireless networks, IEEE Communication Magzine, 2001. 39(2): p.142-148.
(5) Johnson, D. B., et al., DSR: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Multi-Hop Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, Ad Hoc Networking, 2001. 5: p.
(6) Perkins, C. E., et al., Ad Hoc On Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing, RFC 3561, 2003.
(7) Perkins, C. E. and P. Bhagwat, Highly dynamic destination-sequenced distance-vector routing (DSDV) for mobile computers, Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM, 1994. 24(4): p. 234–244.
(8) Cho, W., et al., Time Delay On-demand Multipath Routing Protocol in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks, IEEE International Conference on Ubiquitous and
Future Network, 2011.
(9) Dong, P., et al., A Beacon-Less Geographic Multipath Routing Protocol for Ad Hoc Networks, Mobile Networks and Applications, 2013. 18(4): p 500-512.
(10) Krishna, P. V., et al., Quality-of-service enabled ant colony-based multipath routing for mobile ad hoc networks, IET Communications, 2012.6(1): p. 76-83.
(11) Surjeet, et al., QoS Bandwidth Estimation Scheme for Delay Sensitive Applications in MANETs, Communications & Networks, 2013. 5(1): p. 1-8.
(12) Pearlman, M.R., et al., On the impact of alternate path routing for load
balancing in mobile ad hoc networks, Proceedings of ACM Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing, 2000: p. 3-10.
(13) Lee, S.J. and Gerla, M., AODV-BR: Backup routing in Ad Hoc networks, Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, 2000. 3: p. 1311-1316.
(14) Nasipuri, A., et al., Performance of multipath routing for on-demand protocols in ad hoc networks, ACM/Kluwer Mobile Networks and Applications Journal, 2001. 6(4): p. 339-349.
(15) Marina, M. K. and Das, S. R., Ad hoc on-demand multipath distance vector routing, Wiley Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, 2006. 6(7): pp. 969-988.
(16) Lai, W. K., et al., Adaptive backup routing for ad-hoc networks, Computer Communications, 2007. 30(2): p. 453-464.
(17) Huang, T., et al., AODV-Based Backup Routing Scheme in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, International conference on Communications and Mobile Computing, 2010. 3: p. 254-258.
(18) Anantapalli, M. K. and Li, W., Multipath multihop routing analysis in mobile ad hoc networks, Wireless Networks, 2010. 16(10): p 79-94.
(19) Yi, J., Multipath optimized link state routing for mobile ad hoc networks, Ad Hoc Networks, 2011. 9(1): p 28-47.
(20) Lee, K., A backup path routing for guaranteeing bandwidth in mobile ad hoc networks for multimedia applications, Journal of Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2012. 57(2): p.439-451.
(21) Jiang, F., et al., Dual path node-disjoint routing for data salvation in mobile ad hoc, The Journal of Supercomputing, 2012. 59(1): p. 268-296.
(22) Kim, S., An Ant-based Multipath Routing Algorithm for QoS Aware
Mobile Ad-hoc Networks, Wireless Personal Communications, 2012. 66(4): p. 739-749.
(23) Igartua, M.A., et al., Dynamic framework with adaptive contention window and multipath routing for video-streaming services over mobile ad hoc networks, Telecommunication Systems, 2012. 49(4): p. 379-390.
(24) Caro, G. D., Ant colony optimization and its application to adaptive routing in telecommunication networks, PhD thesis, University Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium, 2004.
(25) Gunes, M., et al., ARA-the ant colony based routing algorithm foe MANETs, Proceedings of International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops, 2002: p.79-85.
(26) Gupta, R. K., Node Disjoint Minimum Interference Multipath (ND-MIM) Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad hoc Networks, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, 2012.
(3): p. 128-131.
(27) Kok, G., et al., EAOMDV-MIMC: A Multipath Routing Protocol for Multi-Interface Multi-Channel Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks, Wireless Network Communications, 2013. 73(3): p. 1-30.
(28) Zhang, X. M., et al., Interference-based Topology Control Algorithm for Delay-constrained Mobile Ad hoc Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2015. 14(4): p. 742-753.
(29) Karaoglu, B. and Heinzelman, W., Cooperative Load Balancing and Dynamic Channel Allocation for Cluster-Based Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 2015. 14(5): p.-951-963.
(30) Iborra, R. and Cano, M., JOKER: A Novel Opportunistic Routing Protocol”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2016. 34(5): p-1690-1703.
(31) Selvi, P. F. A. and Manikandan, M., Ant based multipath backbone routing for load balancing in MANET, IET Communications, 2017. 11(1): p-136-141.
(32) Chen, L. and Heinzelman, W., QoS-Aware Routing Based on Bandwidth Estimation for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 2005. 23(3): p. 561-572.