Toward 1.8 Tb/s CAP Schemes for Short Reach Optical Communication Systems
Keywords:Multiband CAP, single-band CAP, WDM-CAP
Wavelength-division multiplexed (WDM)carrierless amplitude/phase (CAP) modulation is proposed for1.8 Tb/sfor short reach optical communication system. The system uses 16 channels, each operates at 112 Gb/s. A single-band (SB) CAP and multiband (MB) CAP are adopted for each channel as advanced modulation format with high spectral efficiency. The system performance at C and O operating bandsare investigated withchannel spacing of 100 GHz.The system is simulated using OptiSystem14.0 software package and the results reveal that the maximum allowable distance at BER of is 3.45km and 2.11 km for SB-CAP and MB-CAP operating at C-band with 0 dB laser power, respectively. These values to be compared with 4.5 km and 1.8 km, respectively, for O-band operation.
(1) Tao. L,Ji. Y, Liu. J,Pak.A, Lau. T,Chi.N, and Lu. C, “Advanced Modulation Formats for Short Reach Optical Communication Systems,”IEEE Network, pp. 6-13, Nov/Dec 2013.
(2) Wei. J,Cunningham.D, Penty. R, and White.I, “Study of 100 Gigabit Ethernet Using Carrierless Amplitude/phase Modulation and Optical OFDM,” Journal of Light wave Technology, vol. 31, no. 9, May 2013, pp. 1367-1373.
(3) Kikuchi. N,Hirai. R, and Fukui. T, “Practical Implementation of 100 Gb/s/Lambda Optical Short-Reach Transceiver with Nyquist PAM4 Signaling Using Elect absorptive Modulated Laser (EML),” 2015.
(4) Xu.X, Zhou. E,Liu. G,Zuo.T, Zhong. Q,Zhang. L,Bao. Y, Zhang. X, Li.J, and Li, Z, “Advanced Modulation Formats for 400 Gb/s Short-Reach Optical inter-connection,” Optics Express, vol. 23, no. 1Jan 12 2015, pp. 492-500.
(5) Chagnon. M, Osman, M, Poulin.M, Latrasse. C,Frederic.J, Painchaud. Y, paquet.C, Lessard. S, and Plant.D, “ Experimental Study of 112 Gb/s Short Reach Transmission Employing PAM Format and SiP Intensity Modulator at 1.3 µm,” Optics Express, vol. 22, no. 17, August 25, 2014.
(6) Tao. L,Wang.Y, Xiao. J, and Chi. N, “Enhanced Performance of 400 Gb/s DML-Based CAP System Using Optical Filtering Technique for Short Reach Communication,” Optics Express, vol. 22, no.24, December 1 2014.
(7) Zhong. K,Chen.W, Sui.Q, Man. J, Lau.A, Lu. C, and Zeng.L, “Experimental Demonstration of 500 Gbit/s Short Reach Transmission Employing PAM4 Signal and Direct Detection with 25 Gbps Device,” Optical Society of America, 2015.
(8) Alves. T, and A. Cartaxo. A, “Performance Assessment of XPM-Limited Direct-Detection Short-Reach DSB OFDM Optical Systems,” J. Opt. Communication. Network, vol, 7, no. 8/ AUGUST 2015, 736-747.
(9) Xie. C, Dong. P,Randel.S, Pilori.Winze.P, Spiga. S, Kogel.B, Neumeyr.C, and Amann. M, “Single –VCSEL 100 Gb/s Short Reach System Using Discrete Multi-Tone Modulation and Direct Detection,” Optical Society of America, 2015
(10) Li. F, L. X,Chen. L,. Xia.Y, Ge. C, and Chen.Y, “High-Level
QAM OFDM System Using DML for Low-Cost Short Reach Optical Communications,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letter, vol. 26, no. 9, MAY 1 2014, pp.941-944.
(11) Tang, J.He.J, Li.D, Chen. M, andChen. L, “64/128-QAM Half-Cycle Subcarrier Modulation for Short Reach Optical Communications, ” IEEE Photonics Technology Litters vol. 27, no. 1, February2014, pp 284-287.
(12) Chen.M, He. J, andChen.L, “Real- Time Demonstration of 1024-QAm OFDM Transmitter in Short-Reach IMDD Systems,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letter, vol. 27, no. 8, APRILL, 15, 2015, pp. 824-827.
(13) Wei. J,Ingham.J, Cunningham. D, Penty. R, and White. I, “Performance and Power Dissipation Comparison s Between 28 Gb/s NRZ, PAM, and Optical OFDM Systems for Data Communication Applications, ” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vlo. 30, no. 20, October 15 2012, pp. 3273-3280.
(14) Wu, F. Lin. C, Wei. C, Chen, Z, Chen. H, Huang, and Chi.S, “ Performance Comparison of OFDM Signal and CAP Signal Over High Capacity RGB-LED-Based WDM Visible Light Communication,” IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 5, no. 4, August 2013.
(15) Amiralizadeh.S, Yrkani.A, and Rusch.L, “Discrete Multi-Tone Transmission with Optimized QAM Constellations for Shot Reach Optical Communications,” journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. xx, no, xx, 2016.
(16) Pilori.D, Fludger.C, and Gaudino.R, “Comparing DMT Variants in Medium-Reach 100 G Optically Amplified Systems,”IEEE Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 34, no, 14, July. 15 2016, pp. 3389-3399.
(17) Wang. Y, Yu.J, Chi. N, and Chang.G, “Experimental Demonstration of 120-Gb/s Nyquist PAM8-SCFDE for Short-Reach Optical Communication,” IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 7 no. 4, August 2015.
(18) Rodes. R, Mueller, M. Li.B, Estaran.J, Jensen. J,Gruendl.T, Ortsiefer.M, Neumeyr.C, rosskopf. J,Larsen. K,Amann. M, and Monroy. I, “High-Speed 1550 nm VCEL Data Transmission Link Emplying 25 GBd 4-PAM Modulation and Hard Decision Forward
Error Correction,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 31, no. 4 February 15 2013, pp. 689-695.
(19) Osman. M Chagnon. M, Poulin. M,Lessard.S, and plant. D, “224-Gb/s 10-km Transmission of PDM PAM-4 at 1.3 µm Using a Single Intensity- Modulated Laser and a Direct-Detection MIMO DSP-Based Receiver,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, vol. 33,
no. 7, APRIL 1, 2015, pp. 1417-1424
(20) Dong. Z,Yu.J, and Lu. J, “Bandwidth-Efficient WDM-CAP-PON Using Digital Hilbert Single-Sideband Modulation,” IEEE Photonics Journal, vol, 7, no.5, October 2015.
(21) Tao. L,Wang. Y,Gao.Y, Pak. A,Lau. T,Chi.N, and Lu. C, “Experimental Demonstration of 10 Gb/s Multi-level Carrier-less Amplitude and Phase Modulation for Short Range Optical Communication Systems,” Optics Express, vol. 21, no.5 2013.
(22) Sun. L, Du. J, and He. Z, “Multiband 3-Dimentional Carrierless Amplitude Phase Modulation for Short Reach Optical Communications,” Lightwave Technology, 2015.
(23) Wei, J,David. Q,Cunningham. G,Penty. R, and White.I, “100- Gbs Hybrid Multiband CAPQAM Signal Transmission Over a Single Wavelength,“ Journal of Light wave Technology, vol. 33, no. 2, January, 15, 2015, pp. 415-423.
(24) Tao. L, Wang.Y, Gao. Y, Pak. A,Lao.T, Chi. N, and Lu. C, “40 Gb/s CAP32 System With DD-LMS Equalizer for Short Reach Optical Transmissions,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 25, no. 23, December 1, 2013, pp. 2346-2349.
(25) Tao.L, Wang. Y, Gao.Y, and Chi. N, “High Order CAP System Using DML for Short Reach Optical Communications,” ,” IEEE Photonics Technology Letters, vol. 26, no. 13, JULY 1, 2014, pp. 1348-1351
(26) He. J,Dong. H, Deng, R, Li. T, and Chen. L, “Enhanced Performance of CAP System Using Overlap Frequency-Domain Equalization Scheme,” IEEE Photonics Journal, vol. 8, no. 2, April 2016.
(27) Zhang.J, Yu. J,Li.F, Chi. N,Dong. Z, and Li.X, “11×25×9.3 Gb/s WDM –CAP –PON Based on Optical Single-Side Band Multi-level Multiband Carrierless Amplitude and Phase Modulation with Direct Detection,” Optics Express, vol. 21, no. 16, August 12,
(28) Olmedo. M,Zuo. T, Jensen. J,Zhong.Q, Xu. X,Monroy. I, “Multiband Carrierless Amplitude Phase Modulation for High Capacity Optical Data Links,” Lightwave Technology, vol. 32, no. 4, Feb. 2014, pp. 798-804
(29) Wei.J, Ingham. J,Cheng. Q, Cunningham. D,Penty. R, and White.I, “Experimental Demonstration of Optical Data Links Using a Hybrid CAP/QAM Modulation Scheme” Optics Letters voL 39, no. 6 / March 15, 2014, pp. 1402-1405.