An IOT-enabled System for Marine Data Aquisition and Cartography
Keywords:Internet of Things, Ship Ad-hoc Networks, Very High Frequency, On-demand Routing Schemes, Table Driven Routing Schemes, Marine Cartography Systems.
AbstractCurrent satellite communication remains very expensive and impractical for most small to mid-sized vessels, and at the same time marine wireless networking is lack of network coverage. To solve this problem, this paper proposes a novel IOT (Internet of Things) enabled system for marine data acquisition and cartography based on Ship Ad-hoc Networks (SANET’s). Ships are equipped with Very High Frequency (VHF) radios and several sensors such as sea depth, temperature, wind speed and direction, etc. The collected sensory data is sent to 5G edge clouds incorporated at sink/base station nodes on shore, and ultimately aggregated at a central cloud on the internet to produce up to date cartography. The routing protocols deployed are DSDV (Destination-Sequenced Distance Vector), AODV (Ad hoc On-Demand Distance Vector), AOMDV (Ad hoc On-Demand Multipath Distance Vector) and DSR (Dynamic Source Routing) protocols, which are very popular in Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (MANET’s) and compatible with multi hop routing environments and scalability towards increased traffic and mobility. Simulation results verify the feasibility and efficiency of the proposed system that has packet delivery rates of up to 80% at shore base stations.
(1) Hui, B.; Jeon, K.; Chang, K.; Kim, S.; Park, J.; Lim, Y. Design of radio transmission technologies for VHF band ship ad-hoc network. IEEE International Conference on ICT Convergence (ICTC), 2011, pp. 626–629.
(2) Anggoro, R.; Nakamura, R.; Kitasuka, T.; Itokawa, T.; Aritsugi, M. An evaluation of routing protocols with probabilistic relay in VANETs. IEEE, 2011, pp. 187–191.
(3) Spaho, E.; Ikeda, M.; Barolli, L.; Xhafa, F.; Kolici, V.; Takizawa, M. Performance analysis of DSR and DYMO routing protocols for VANETs. IEEE the 6th International Conference on Complex, Intelligent and Software Intensive Systems (CISIS), 2012, pp. 365–369.
(4) Manoufali, M.; Alshaer, H.; Kong, P.Y.; Jimaa, S. Technologies and networks supporting maritime wireless mesh communications. IEEE Wireless and Mobile Networking Conference (WMNC), 2013, pp. 1–8.
(5) Pullin, A.J.; Presland, S.; Pattinson, C. Using Ship Movement in the Irish Sea for MANET Evaluation. Computer Modeling and Simulation. Second UKSIM European Symposium on EMS’08, 2008, pp. 394–399.
(6) Haider, Z.; Shabbir, F. Genetic based approach for optimized routing in Maritime Tactical MANETs. The 11th International Bhurban Conference on Applied Sciences and Technology (IBCAST), 2014, pp. 488–492.
(7) Do, D.; Nguyen, H.; Tran, N.; Ta, T.; Tran, T.; Vu, Y. Wireless ad hoc network based on global positioning system for marine monitoring, searching and rescuing (MSnR). Microwave Conference Proceedings (APMC), 2011 Asia-Pacific. IEEE, 2011,
(8) Mohsin, R.; Woods, J. Performance evaluation of MANET routing protocols in a maritime environment. IEEE Computer Science and Electronic Engineering Conference, 2014, pp. 1–5.
(9) Mohsin, R.J.; Woods, J.; Shawkat, M.Q. Density and mobility impact on MANET routing protocols in a maritime environment. IEEE Science and Information Conference (SAI), 2015, pp. 1046–1051.
(10) Pomfret, J. Guidelines on use of marine-Band VHF radio by INLand pleasure craft on UK freight water ways, 2013.
(11) Song, J.H.; Oh, K.R.; Kim, I.K.; Lee, J.Y. Application of maritime AIS (Automatic Identification System) to ADS-B (Automatic Dependent Surveillance. Control Automation and Systems (ICCAS),International Conference on, 2010, pp. 2233–2237.
(12) Zhu, F.; Lei, L. Research on a method for analysis of ship traffic density in harbor water area based on GIS. Conference Anthology, IEEE, 2013, pp. 1–4.
(13) Perkins, C.E.; Royer, E.M. Ad-hoc on-demand distance vector routing. Proceedings 2nd IEEE Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications,1999, pp. 90–100.
(14) Moravejosharieh, A.; Modares, H.; Salleh, R.; Mostajeran, E. Performance Analysis of AODV, AOMDV, DSR, DSDV Routing Protocols in Vehicular Ad Hoc Network. Research Journal of Recent Sciences ISSN 2013, 2277, 2502.
(15) Marina, M.K.; Das, S.R. Ad hoc on-demand multipath distance vector routing. Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing 2006, 6, 969–988.
(16) Biradar, S.; Majumder, K.; Sarkar, S.K.; Puttamadappa, C. Performance Evaluation and Comparison of AODV and AOMDV. International Journal on Computer Science & Engineering 2010,
(17) Broch, J.; Maltz, D.A.; Johnson, D.B.; Hu, Y.C.; Jetcheva, J. A performance comparison of multi-hop wireless ad hoc network routing protocols. Proceedings of the 4th annual ACM/IEEE international conference on Mobile computing and networking.
ACM, 1998, pp. 85–97.
(18) Johnson, D.B.; Maltz, D.A. Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks. In Mobile computing; Springer, 1996; pp. 153–181.
(19) Maltz, D.B.J.D.A.; Broch, J. DSR: The dynamic source routing protocol for multi-hop wireless ad hoc networks. Computer Science Department, CMU, Pittsburgh, 2001, pp. 15213–3891.
(20) Kanthe, A.M.; Simunic, D.; Prasad, R. Comparison of AODV and DSR on-demand routing protocols in mobile ad hoc networks. Emerging Technology Trends in Electronics, The 1st International Conference on Communication and Networking (ET2ECN), 2012,
(21) Johansson, P.; Larsson, T.; Hedman, N.; Mielczarek, B.; Degermark, M. Scenario-based performance analysis of routing protocols for mobile ad-hoc networks. Proceedings of the 5th annual ACM/IEEE int. conf. on Mobile computing & networking, 1999, pp. 195–206.
(22) Parvathi, P. Comparative analysis of CBRP, AODV, DSDV routing protocols in mobile ad-hoc networks. International Conference on Computing, Communication and Applications (ICCCA), 2012, pp. 1–4.
(23) Usop, N.S.M.; Abdullah, A.; Abidin, A.F.A. Performance evaluation of AODV, DSDV & DSR routing protocol in grid environment. International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security 2009, 9, 261–268.
(24) Thriveni, H.; Kumar, G.M.; Sharma, R. Performance Evaluation of Routing Protocols in Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks with Varying Node Density and Node Mobility. Communication Systems and Network Technologies (CSNT), 2013 International Conference on. IEEE, 2013, pp. 252–256.
(25) Natsheh, E.; Buragga, K. Nodes density and broadcast management in heterogeneous environments of mobile ad-hoc networks. Journal of Computer Science 2010, 6, 312.
(26) Zuo, J.; Wang, Y.; Liu, Y.; Zhang, Y. Performance evaluation of routing protocol in VANET with vehicle-node density. Wireless Communications Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), 2010 6th International Conference on. IEEE, 2010, pp.
(27) Bettstetter, C.; Zangl, J. How to achieve a connected ad hoc network with homogeneous range assignment: an analytical study with consideration of border effects. Mobile and Wireless Communications Network, 2002. 4th International Workshop on. IEEE, 2002, pp. 125–129.
(28) Bettstetter, C. On the connectivity of wireless multi-hop networks with homogeneous and inhomogeneous range assignment. Proceedings of IEEE 56th Vehicular Technology Conference, 2002, Vol. 3, pp. 1706–1710.
(29) Bai, F.; Helmy, A. A survey of mobility models. Wireless Adhoc Networks. University of Southern California, USA 2004, 206.
(30) Raymond, D.; Burbey, I.; Zhao, Y.; Midkiff, S.; Koelling, C.P. Impact of Mobility Models on Simulated Ad Hoc Network Performance. Proc. 9th International Symposium on Wireless Personal Multimedia Communications (WPMC), 2006, pp. 398–402.
(31) Yoon, J.; Liu, M.; Noble, B. Random waypoint considered harmful. INFOCOM 2003. The 22nd annual joint conference on computer and communications, 2003, Vol. 2, pp. 1312–1321.
(32) Amjad, K.; Stocker, A.J. Impact of node density and mobility on the performance of AODV and DSR in MANETS. The 7th International Symposium on Communication Systems Networks and Digital Signal Processing (CSNDSP), 2010, pp. 61–65.
(33) Bai, F.; Sadagopan, N.; Helmy, A. IMPORTANT: A framework to systematically analyze the Impact of Mobility on Performance of RouTing protocols for Adhoc NeTworks. The 22nd Annual Joint Conference on Computer & Communications. 2003, Vol. 2, pp. 825–835.
(34) Camp, T.; Boleng, J.; Davies, V. A survey of mobility models for ad hoc network research. Wireless communications and mobile computing 2002, 2, 483–502.
(35) Mitra, A. Lecture Notes on Mobile Communication. A Curriculum Development Cell project Under QIP, IIT Guwahati 2009.
(36) Rabab J., M.; John, W.; Shawkat, M.Q. (AMDC) Algorithm for wireless sensor networks in the marine environment. Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 2015, 6.
(37) Marine Traffic. https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-12/centery:25/zoom:4