Efficient Cooperative MAC and Routing in Wireless Networks
Keywords:Cooperative MAC, Cooperative Routing, End-to-End Delay, Energy Efficiency, Cross-Layer Design
Cooperative communication refers to the collaborative processing and retransmission of the overheard information at those stations surrounding the source. It exhibits various forms at different protocol layers and introduces many opportunities for cross layer design and optimization. To fully reap the benefits of cooperative communications in wireless networks, the entire protocol stack - physical, MAC, and routing protocols - should be carefully redesigned or reengineered. In this paper, we first propose a cooperative MAC protocol by enhancing IEEE 802.11 DCF with minimal modifications to maximize the benefit of cooperative diversity. Its performance is compared to that of an existing cooperative MAC and legacy 802.11 DCF protocols and shown to be superior. We also propose a cluster based cooperative routing protocol which has minimal control overhead and time consumed in establishing the cooperative paths. Through extensive simulations, the performance of the proposed protocols are evaluated and compared to other combinations of MAC and routing protocols.
(1) Nosratinia A, Todd E Hunter,Hedayat A, Cooperative communication in wireless networks, IEEE Communications Magazine 2004, 42(10), 74 - 80.
(2) Scaglione A, Y W Hong, 2003, Opportunistic large arrays: Cooperative transmission in multihop ad hoc networks to reach far distances, IEEE Transactions On Signal Processing, 51(8), 2082-2092.
(3) Weihua Zhuang, Muhammed Ismail, 2012, Cooperation in wirelss communication networks, IEEE Wireles Communications, 19(2), 10 -20.
(4) Cetinkaya C, Orsun F, 2004, Cooperative medium access protocol
for dense wireless networks,in The Third Annual Mediterranean Ad Hoc Networking Workshop - Med Hoc Net ( Bodrum, Turkey), 197 - 207.
(5) Zhu H and Cao G, 2006, rDCF: A Relay-enabled Medium Access Control Protocol for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, IEEE Trans-actions On Mobile Computing, 5(9), 1201 - 1214.
(6) Liu P, Tao Z and S Panwar, 2007, Co-operative mac protocol for wireless local area networks, IEEE journal on selected areas in Communications, 25, 340-354.
(7) Korakis T, Z Tao, Y Slutskiy, S Panwar, 2007, A Cooperative MAC protocol for Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks, in Proceedings of IEEE PerCom Workshop on Pervasive Wireless Networking (PerCom Workshops ’07) (White Plains, New York, USA), 532 - 536.
(8) Thanasis Korakis, Zhifeng Tao, Shashi Raj Singh, Pei Liu, S Panwar, 2009, Implementation of a Cooperative MAC Protocol: Performance and Challenges in a Real Environment, EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2009, 1 - 19.
(9) Adam H, Elmenreich W, Bettstetter C, Senouci S M, 2009, CoRe-MAC: A MAC-Protocol for Cooperative Relaying in Wireless Networks, in Global Telecommunications Conference 2009 (GLOBECOM 2009), 1 - 6.
(10) Chou C T, J Yang, D Wang, 2007, Cooperative MAC Protocol with Automatic Relay Selection in Distributed Wireless Networks, in Proceedings of the Fifth IEEE International Conference on Pervasive Computing and Communications Workshops 2007 (PerCom Workshops
’07) (Washington, DC, USA), 526-531.
(11) Jibukumar Mangalathu , Raja Datta, Prabir K Biswas, 2010, CoopMACA: A cooperative MAC protocol using packet aggregation, Springer Wireless Networks, 16(7), 1865-1883.
(12) Amir E Khandani, J Abounadi, E Modiano, L Zheng, 2007, Cooperative Routing in Static Wireless Networks, IEEE Transactions on Communications, 55(11), 2185-2192.
(13) Ibrahim A S, Zhu Han, Liu K J R,2008, Distributed energy-efficient cooperative routing in wireless networks, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 7(10), 3930,3941.
(14) Lin Y, Song J H and Wong V W S, 2009, Cooperative Protocols Design for Wireless Ad-Hoc Networks with Multi-hop Routing, Springer Mobile Networks and Applications, 14(2), 143 - 153.
(15) Zhengguo Sheng, Zhiguo Ding, Leung K K, 2009, Distributed and Power Efficient Routing in Wireless Cooperative Networks, IEEE International Conference on Communications 2009 (ICC ’09), 14-18.
(16) Pei Liu, Z.Tao, Z Lin, E Erkip, S Panwar, 2006, Cooperative Wireless Communications: A Cross-Layer Approach, IEEE Wireless Communications, 13(4), 84-92.
(17) Shan H, W Zhuang, 2009, Distributed Cooperative MAC for Multihop Wireless Networks, IEEE Commnications Magazine, 47(2), 126-133.
(18) Hangguan Shan, Ho Ting Cheng, Weihua Zhuang, 2011, Cross-Layer Cooperative MAC Protocol in Distributed Wireless Networks, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 10(8), 2603-2615.
(19) Shamna H R, Naga Lakshmi Appari, Lillykutty Jacob, 2013, Co-operative MAC protocol: Performance modeling and analysis, IEEE Recent Advances in Intelligent Computational Systems (RAICS) 2013 , 233-238.
(20) Zhang X, Shin K G, 2015, Cooperation without Synchronization: Practical Cooperative Relaying for Wireless Networks, IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 14(5), 937-950.
(21) Dehghan M, M Ghaderi, 2004, Energy Efficient Cooperative Routing in Wireless Networks, CPSC Technical Report 2009 : Performance Tools and Applications to Networked Systems, 209-234.
(22) Gokturk M S, Gurbuz O, Erkip E, 2012, RECOMAC: A Cross-Layer Cooperative Network Protocol for Wireless Ad Hoc Networks, 5th International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS) 2012 , 1-7.
(23) Zhenghua Fu, Haiyun Luo, Petros Zerfos, Lixia Zhang, and Mario Gerla, 2005, The Impact of Multihop Wireless Channel on TCP Performance, IEEE Transcations on Mobile Computing, 4(2), 209-221.