Network Flexibility and Policy Making in Software Defined Networks
Keywords:Network Flexibility, Green Networking, Policies in Networks
Today’s computer networks are complex which is very challenging to manage as well as these traditional networks struggle to scale to the requirements of some of today’s environment. SDN gives solution to all these requirements with new dynamic networking features that enhance server value and user services. SDN supplements traditional networking by offering much flexibility and software centric control creating a more policy based process for adding intelligence into today’s networks. Traditionally tweaking a policy/network configuration, network administrators typically rely on a combination of manual intervention and ad-hoc scripts. In this paper we have made an attempt to show how SDN is more robust and provides users flexibility to program the network according to their needs and requirements. We have used KINETIC – a domain specific language and SDN controller to write our priority based switching application.
(1) Feamster, Nick, Jennifer Rexford, and Ellen Zegura. "The road to sdn: an intellectual history of programmable networks." ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review 44.2 (2014): 87-98.
(2) Kreutz, Diego, et al. "Software-defined networking: A comprehensive survey. “Proceedings of the IEEE 103.1 (2015): 14-76.
(3) Open Networking Foundation. SDN Architecture Overview, Version 1.0 December 12,2013
(4) . Kim, Hyojoon, and Nick Feamster. "Improving network management with software defined networking." Communications Magazine, IEEE 51.2 (2013): 114-119.
(5) Nunes, B., et al. "A survey of software-defined networking: Past, present, and future of programmable networks." (2014): 1-18.
(6) Jarraya, Yosr, Taous Madi, and Mourad Debbabi. "A survey and a layered taxonomy of software-defined networking." (2014): 1-1.
(7) Agarwal, Sugam, Murali Kodialam, and T. V. Lakshman. "Traffic engineering in software defined networks." INFOCOM, 2013 Proceedings IEEE. IEEE, 2013.
(8) Zinner, Thomas, et al. A Compass Through SDN Networks. Tech. Rep. 488, University of Würzburg, 2013.
(9) Shenker S. The future of networking and the past of protocols, Open Networking Summit, Palo Alto, CA, USA: Stanford University; October 2011
(10) Nirmalan Arumugam; The Thinking Network-Software Defined Networks will provide the intelligence the network needs to keep up in a cloud centric world. Available online: [www.wipro.com/documents/insights/the-thinking-network.pdf]
(11) Gautam Khetrapal and Saurabh Kumar Sharma; Demystifying Routing Services in Software-Defined Networking; Available online: [http://www.aricent.com/sites/default/files/pdfs/Aricent-Demystifying-Routing-Services-SDN-Whitepaper.pdf]
(12) Jain, Sushant, et al. "B4: Experience with a globally-deployed software defined WAN." ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. Vol. 43. No. 4. ACM, 2013.
(13) Open Networking Foundation Available online: [https://www.opennetworking.org/sdn-resources/openflow]
(14) Foundation, Open Networking. "Software-defined networking: The new norm for networks." ONF White Paper (2012).
(15) HP OpenFlow Protocol Overview; Technical Solution Guide Version: 1 September 2013.
(16) Specification, OpenFlow Switch. "Version 1.1. 0 Implemented (Wire Protocol 0x02)." Available online: [http://archive.openflow.org/documents/openflow-spec-v1.1.0.pdf]
(17) Hasan, Shaddi, et al. Enabling Rural Connectivity with SDN. Technical Report UCB/EECS-2012-201, University of California at Berkeley, 2012.
(18) Limoncelli, Thomas A. "Openflow: a radical new idea in networking." Queue10.6 (2012): 40.
(19) [Vaughan-Nichols, Steven J. "OpenFlow: The next generation of the network?"Computer 44.8 (2011): 13-15.
(20) Stallings, William. "Software-defined networks and openflow." The Internet Protocol Journal 16.1 (2013): 2-14.
(21) Reich, Joshua, et al. "Modular sdn programming with pyretic." Technical Reprot of USENIX (2013).
(22) Kim, Hyojoon, et al. "Kinetic: Verifiable Dynamic Network Control."
(23) Steve Garrsion Emerging Use Cases for SDN; February 2015. Available online:
(24) Qazi, Zafar Ayyub, et al. "Application-awareness in SDN." ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. Vol. 43. No. 4. ACM, 2013.
(25) Jarschel, Michael, et al. "Sdn-based application-aware networking on the example of youtube video streaming." Software Defined Networks (EWSDN), 2013 Second European Workshop on. IEEE, 2013.
(27) Bahl, Paramvir, et al. "White space networking with wi-fi like connectivity." ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review 39.4 (2009): 27-38.
(29) Internet Live Stats http://www.internetlivestats.com/
(30) Raghavan, Barath, and Justin Ma. "The energy and emergy of the internet."Proceedings of the 10th ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks. ACM, 2011.
(31) Kaup, Fabian, Sergej Melnikowitsch, and David Hausheer. "Measuring and modeling the power consumption of OpenFlow switches." Network and Service Management (CNSM), 2014 10th International Conference on. IEEE, 2014.
(32) Imaizumi, Hideaki, and Hiroyuki Morikawa. "Directions towards future green Internet." Towards Green Ict 9 (2010): 37.
(33) Baliga, J., et al. "Photonic switching and the energy bottleneck." Photonics in Switching. Vol. 2007. 2007.
(34) Foster, Nate, et al. "Languages for software-defined networks."Communications Magazine, IEEE 51.2 (2013): 128-134
(35) Foster, Nate, et al. "Frenetic: A network programming language." ACM SIGPLAN Notices. Vol. 46. No. 9. ACM, 2011.
(36) Voellmy, Andreas, Ashish Agarwal, and Paul Hudak. Nettle: Functional reactive programming for openflow networks. No.
YALEU/DCS/RR-1431. YALE UNIV NEW HAVEN CT DEPT OF COMPUTER
(37) Voellmy, Andreas, Hyojoon Kim, and Nick Feamster. "Procera: a language for high-level reactive network control." Proceedings of the first workshop on Hot topics in software defined networks. ACM, 2012.
(38) Ferguson, Andrew D., et al. "Hierarchical policies for software defined networks." Proceedings of the first workshop on Hot topics in software defined networks. ACM, 2012.
(39) Mogul, Jeffrey C., et al. "Corybantic: Towards the modular composition of sdn control programs." Proceedings of the Twelfth ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks. ACM, 2013.
(40) Yuan, Yifei, Rajeev Alur, and Boon Thau Loo. "NetEgg: Programming Network Policies by Examples." Proceedings of the 13th ACM Workshop on Hot Topics in Networks. ACM, 2014.
(41) Soulé, Robert, et al. "Merlin: A language for provisioning network resources."Proceedings of the 10th ACM International on Conference on emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies. ACM, 2014.
(42) Indian Telecom Services Performance Indicator Report for the Quarter ending March, 2015
(43) India Census 2011: Census of India: Census Data Online censusindia.gov.in/2011-common/censusdataonline.html
(44) Manyika, James, et al. Internet matters: The Net's sweeping impact on growth, jobs, and prosperity. McKinsey & Company, 2011.
(45) Fujitsu; Software-Defined Networking for the Utilities and Energy
Sector Available online: [http://www.fujitsu.com/us/Images/SDN-for-Utilities.pdf]