Traffic Management in 5G Mobile Networks: Selfish Users and Fair Network
With increasing in heterogeneity of the mobile and wireless networks, including the use of licensed and unlicensed spectrum, and diversity in types of User Equipment (UEs), managing how traffic flows through network while maintaining high level of users’ quality of experience is crucial. In this paper, we present a novel traffic management mechanism that maintains the users’ quality of experience as well as guaranteeing fairness among users. This traffic management has two separate elements, one that is located at the UE and one that is located at the cloud-based network controller. While each UE maximizes their utility function, which is modelled based on the QoS parameters, selfishly, at the network side, the attempt is to maximize fairness among all users’ flows.
(1) H. Elshaer, F. Boccardi, M. Dohler, and R. Irmer, Downlink and uplink decoupling: A disruptive architectural design for 5g networks. IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), pp. 1798–1803, December 2014.
(2) R. Guerzoni, R. Trivisonno, and D. Soldani, Sdn-based architecture and procedures for 5g networks. 1st International Conference on 5G for Ubiquitous Connectivity (5GU), pp. 209–214, November 2014.
(3) T. Mahmoodi and S. Seetharaman, Traffic jam: Handling the increasing volume of mobile data traffic. IEEE Vehicular Technology Magazine, vol.9, pp. 56-62, September 2014.
(4) P. Ameigeiras, J. Ramos-Munoz, L. Schumacher, J. Prados-Garzon, J. Navarro-Ortiz, and J. Lopez-Soler, Link-level access cloud architecture design based on sdn for 5g networks. IEEE Network, vol. 29, pp. 24–31, March 2015.
(5) Cisco visual networking index: Global mobile data traffic forecast update 20142019. Cisco White paper, February 2015.
(6) D. Tuncer, M. Charalambides, S. Clayman, and G. Pavlou, Adaptive resource management and control in software defined networks. IEEE Transactions on Network and Service Management, vol. 12, pp. 18–33, March 2015.
(7) M. Jiang, Device-controlled traffic steering in mobile networks. 9th International Conference on Next Generation Mobile Applications, Services and Technologies, September 2015.
(8) Jain, R., D. Chiu, and W. Hawe. "A Quantitative Measure Of Fairness And Discrimination For Resource Allocation In Shared Computer Systems." arXiv preprint cs/9809099 (1998).
(9) Y. Zaki, T. Weerawardane, S. Hauth, E. Wallmeier, and C. Gorg, Intelligent traffic enforcement for lte backhaul. IEEE International Symposium on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communications (PIMRC), pp. 3077–3082, September 2013.
(10) C-RAN: The road Twoards Green RAN. China Mobile White paper, October 2011.
(11) F. Boccardi, R. Heath, A. Lozano, T. Marzetta, and P. Popovski, Five disruptive technology directions for 5g. IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 52, pp. 74–80, February 2014.
(12) Q.-T. Nguyen-Vuong, N. Agoulmine, E. Cherkaoui, and L. Toni,
Multicriteria optimization of access selection to improve the quality of experience in heterogeneous wireless access networks. IEEE
Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 62, pp. 1785–1800, May
(13) M. Louta and P. Bellavista, Bringing always-best connectivity vision a step closer: Challenges and perspectives. IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 51, pp. 158–166, February 2013.
(14) P. Muoz, D. Laselva, R. Barco, and P. Mogensen, Dynamic traffic steering based on fuzzy q-learning approach in a multi-rat multi-layer wireless network. Computer Networks, vol. 71, pp. 100 – 116, 2014.
(15) K.L. A. Yau, P. Komisarczuk, and P. D. Teal, Reinforcement learning for context awareness and intelligence in wireless networks: Review, new features and open issues, Journal of Network and Computer Applications, vol. 35, no. 1, pp. 253 – 267, January 2012.
(16) Y. Kiran, T. Venkatesh, and C. Murthy, Reinforcement learning based path selection and wavelength selection in optical burst switched networks, International Conference on Broadband Communications, Networks and Systems (BROADNETS), October 2006.
(17) P. Munoz, R. Barco, D. Laselva, and P. Mogensen, Mobility-based strategies for traffic steering in heterogeneous networks. IEEE Communications Magazine, vol. 51, pp. 54–62, May 2013.
(18) T. Mahmoodi, V. Friderikos, O. Holland, and A. Hamid Aghvami, Cross-Layer Optimization to Maximize Fairness Among TCP Flows of Different TCP Flavors, IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), December 2008.
(19) T. Mahmoodi, V. Friderikos, O. Holland, and A. Hamid Aghvami, TCP-aware resource allocation in OFDMA based wireless networks, IEEE International Workshop on Cross Layer Design (IWCLD), June 2009.
(20) D. Cheng, J. Rao, C. Jiang, and X. Zhou, Elastic power-aware resource provisioning of heterogeneous workloads in self-sustainable datacenters. IEEE Transactions on Computers, vol. PP, no. 99, May 2015.
(21) C. Guo, M. Sheng, X. Wang, and Y. Zhang, Throughput maximization with short-term and long-term jain’s index constraints in downlink ofdma systems. IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 62, pp. 1503–1517, May 2014.
(22) Access network discovery and selection function (ANDSF) management object (MO). 3GPP TS 24.312, September 2014.
(23) D. Lopez-Perez, I. Guvenc, G. de la Roche, M. Kountouris, T. Quek,
and J. Zhang, Enhanced intercell interference coordination challenges in heterogeneous networks. IEEE Wireless Communications, vol. 18, pp. 22–30, June 2011.
(24) S. Alavi, C. Zhou, and W. W. Gen, Efficient and fair resource allocation scheme for ofdma networks based on auction game. IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC) Fall, September 2012.
(25) J. Li, J. Xiao, J.-K. Hong, and R. Boutaba, Application-centric wi-fi energy management on smart phone. Asia-Pacific Network Operations and Management Symposium (APNOMS), September 2012.
(26) Y. Bai, J. Zhou, and L. Chen, Hybrid spectrum usage for overlaying lte macrocell and femtocell. IEEE Global Communications Conference (GLOBECOM), November 2009.
(27) C. Ma and Y. Yang, A battery-aware scheme for routing in wireless ad hoc networks. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, vol. 60, pp. 3919–3932, October 2011.
(28) J. Cho, Y. Woo, S. Kim, and E. Seo, A battery lifetime guarantee scheme for selective applications in smart mobile devices. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, vol. 60, pp. 155–163, February 2014.