Enhanced Handover Clustering and Forecasting Models Based on Machine Learning and Big Data
In mobile networks, handover (HO) is one of the most important and complex KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), which directly affect to Quality of Service (QoS), Quality of Experience (QoE), and mobility performance. Moreover, its configuration parameters such as handover thresholds and handover neighbor lists are the key factors for implementing network optimization such as load balancing and energy saving. In a study before, the authors proposed clustering and forecasting models using ML algorithms and Time Series models to cluster, forecast, and manage the HO behavior of a huge number of cells. In this study, on the other hand, the authors firstly investigated more network KPIs to analyze their relationship with HO KPIs, and then, proposed new clustering, forecasting, and abnormal detection models that are expected to make them much more comprehensive. Finally, the performances of the proposed models were evaluated by applying them to a real dataset collected from the HO KPIs and other KPIs of more than 6000 cells of a real network during the years, 2016 and 2017. The results showed that the study was successful in identifying the relationship among network KPIs and significantly improving the performance of the HO clustering, forecasting, abnormal detection models. Moreover, the study also introduced the integration of emerging technologies such as machine learning (ML), big data, software-defined network (SDN), and network functions virtualization (NFV) to establish a practical and powerful computing platform for future self-organizing networks (SON).
(1) Le Luong Vy; Li-Ping Tung; Bao-Shuh Paul Lin, “Big data and machine learning driven handover management and forecasting,” in IEEE Standards for Communications and Networking (CSCN), Helsinki, 2017, 2017, pp. 214–219.
(2) Luong-Vy Le; Bao-Shuh Lin; Do Sinh, “Applying Big Data, Machine Learning, and SDN/NFV for 5G Early-Stage Traffic Classification and Network QoS Control,” Trans. Networks Commun., vol. 6, no. 2, pp. 36–50, 2018.
(3) S. Lohmüller, L. C. Schmelz, and S. Hahn, “Adaptive SON management using KPI measurements,” Proc. NOMS 2016 - 2016 IEEE/IFIP Netw. Oper. Manag. Symp., no. Noms, pp. 625–631, 2016.
(4) S. Hahn, M. Schweins, and T. Kurner, “Impact of SON function
combinations on the KPI behaviour in realistic mobile network scenarios,” in 2018 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conference Workshops, WCNCW 2018, 2018, pp. 1–6.
(5) L. Le, D. Sinh, B. P. Lin, and L. Tung, “Applying Big Data, Machine Learning, and SDN/NFV to 5G Traffic Clustering, Forecasting, and Management,” IEEE NetSoft, vol. 870, no. NetSoft, pp. 168–176, 2018.
(6) O. G. Aliu, A. Imran, M. A. Imran, and B. Evans, “A Survey of Self Organisation in Wireless Cellular Communication Networks,” IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials, vol. 15, no. 1, pp. 336–361, 2013.
(7) P. V Klaine, M. A. Imran, O. Onireti, and R. D. Souza, “A Survey of Machine Learning Techniques Applied to Self-Organizing Cellular Networks,” IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 2392–2431, 2017.
(8) D. Sinh, L. Le, B. P. Lin, and L. Tung, “SDN / NFV - A new approach of deploying network infrastructure for IoT,” 27th Wirel. Opt. Commun. Conf. (WOCC), Hualien, Taiwan, 2018, pp. 1–5, 2018.
(9) D. Sinh, L. Le, L. Tung, and B. P. Lin, “The Challenges of Applying SDN / NFV for 5G & IoT,” 14th IEEE - VTS Asia Pacific Wirel. Commun. Symp. (APWCS), Incheon, Korea, Sep 2017.
(10) B. P. Lin, F. J. Lin, and L. Tung, “The Roles of 5G Mobile Broadband in the Development of IoT, Big Data, Cloud and SDN,” Commun. Netw., vol. 8, no. 1, pp. 9–21, 2016.
(11) A. Imran and A. Zoha, “Challenges in 5G: How to empower SON with big data for enabling 5G,” IEEE Netw., vol. 28, no. 6, pp. 27–33, 2014.
(12) J. Prados-Garzon, O. Adamuz-Hinojosa, P. Ameigeiras, J. J. Ramos-Munoz, P. Andres-Maldonado, and J. M. Lopez-Soler, “Handover implementation in a 5G SDN-based mobile network architecture,” 2016 IEEE 27th Annu. Int. Symp. Pers. Indoor, Mob. Radio Commun., pp. 1–6, 2016.
(13) T. Nguyen-Duc and E. Kamioka, “An extended SDN controller for handover in heterogeneous wireless network,” 2015 21st Asia-Pacific Conf. Commun. APCC 2015, pp. 332–337, 2016.
(14) E. B. Hamza and S. Kimura, “A Scalable SDN-EPC Architecture Based on OpenFlow-Enabled Switches to Support Inter-domain Handover,” 2016 10th Int. Conf. Innov. Mob. Internet Serv. Ubiquitous Comput., pp. 272–277, 2016.
(15) C. Chen, Y. T. Lin, L. H. Yen, M. C. Chan, and C. C. Tseng, “Mobility management for low-latency handover in SDN-based enterprise networks,” IEEE Wirel. Commun. Netw. Conf. WCNC, vol. 2016–Septe, no. Wcnc, 2016.
(16) I. Elgendi, K. S. Munasinghe, and A. Jamalipour, “Mobility management in three-Tier SDN architecture for DenseNets,” IEEE Wirel. Commun. Netw. Conf. WCNC, vol. 30 October, no. Wcnc, pp. 214–219, 2017.
(17) P. V. Klaine, M. A. Imran, O. Onireti, and R. D. Souza, “A Survey of Machine Learning Techniques Applied to Self Organizing Cellular Networks,” IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 2392–2431, 2017.
(18) M. Boujelben, S. Ben Rejeb, and S. Tabbane, “SON Handover Algorithm for Green LTE-A/5G HetNets,” Wirel. Pers. Commun., vol. 95, no. 4, pp. 4561–4577, 2017.
(19) J. Rizkallah and N. Akkari, “SDN-based vertical handover decision scheme for 5G networks,” in 2018 IEEE Middle East and North Africa Communications Conference, MENACOMM 2018, 2018, pp. 1–6.
(20) L. Le, D. Sinh, L. Tung, and B. P. Lin, “A practical model for traffic forecasting based on big data, machine-learning, and network KPIs,” in 2018 15th IEEE Annual Consumer Communications & Networking Conference (CCNC), 2018, pp. 1–4.
(21) B. P. Lin, L. Tung, F. Tseng, I. Hsieh, Y. Wang, and S. Chou, “Performance Estimation of MAR for Outdoor Navigation Applications based on 5G Mobile Broadband by using Smart Mobile Devices,” in Conference: IEEE VTS APWCS 2015, Singapore.
(22) B. S. Lin et al., “The design of big data analytics for testing & measurement and traffic flow on an experimental 4G/LTE network,” 2015 24th Wirel. Opt. Commun. Conf. WOCC 2015, pp. 40–44, 2015.
(23) H. C. Chang et al., “Empirical Experience and Experimental Evaluation of Open5GCore over Hypervisor and Container,” Wirel. Commun. Mob. Comput., vol. 2018, no. i, 2018.