Prototype Designing of Computer-Aided Classification System for leaf Images of Medicinal Plants
Keywords:classification, medical leaf, feature extraction, NN classifiers, Otsu segmentation, FFBNN
The objective of the present work is to design computer-aided classification (CAC) system to discriminate among various medicinal leaves. This objective is achieved with the designing of a classification system using shape features to obtain high accuracy of end results. In order to evaluate the performance of the presented work six leaf classes were adopted and its shape features were extracted. The role of each shape feature in differentiating the leaves from one another is studied using region of convergence (ROC) curves. The combined effect of both the shape features is studied using neural network classifiers. Two neural network (NN) Classifiers were designed to classify the leaves and their performance is compared. First classifier is designed using radial bases function neural network (RBFNN) and second using feedforward backpropagation neural network (FFBPNN) with a single hidden layer. A comparative study for this dataset reveals that RBFNN shows 92% classification accuracy which is 2.7% higher than that of FFBPNN.
(1) Mittal, D., Kumar, V., Saxena, S.C., Khandelwal, N., Kalara, N. (2011, January). Neural network based focal liver lesion diagnosis using ultrasound images, Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics, 35(4), 315-323.
(2) Mittal, D., Rani, A. Ritambhara (2016, February). Detection and classification of focal liver lesions using support vector machine classifiers, Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Imaging, 3(1), 21-34.
(3) Mittal, D., Kumari, K., (2015, September). Automated detection and segmentation of drusen in retinal fundus images, Computers and Electrical Engineering, 47, 82–95.
(4) Mittal, D. (2017). Impact of modified anisotropic diffusion–based enhancement method in computer-aided classification of focal liver lesions, Ultrasonic Imaging, 39(2), 96-107.
(5) Kumari, K., Mittal, D (2015, June). Drusen quantification for early identification of age related macular degeneration, Advances in Image and Video Processing, 3(3), 28-40.
(6) Zhang, G. J., Wang, X. F., Huang, D. S., Chi, Z., Cheung, Y. M., Du, J. X., & Wan, Y. Y. (2004, October). A hypersphere method for plant leaves classification. In Intelligent Multimedia, Video and Speech Processing, 2004. Proceedings of 2004 International Symposium on (pp. 165-168). IEEE.
(7) Zulkifli, Z., Saad, P., & Mohtar, I. A. (2011, December). Plant leaf identification using moment invariants & general regression neural network. In Hybrid Intelligent Systems (HIS), 2011 11th International Conference on (pp. 430-435). IEEE.
(8) Wu, S. G., Bao, F. S., Xu, E. Y., Wang, Y. X., Chang, Y. F., & Xiang, Q. L. (2007, December). A leaf recognition algorithm for plant classification using probabilistic neural network. In Signal Processing and Information Technology, 2007 IEEE International Symposium on (pp. 11-16). IEEE.
(9) Kadir, A., Nugroho, L. E., Susanto, A., & Santosa, P. I. (2013). Leaf classification using shape, color, and texture features. arXiv preprint arXiv:1401.4447.
(10) Man, Q. K., Zheng, C. H., Wang, X. F., & Lin, F. Y. (2008,
September). Recognition of plant leaves using support vector machine. In International Conference on Intelligent Computing
(pp. 192-199). Springer Berlin Heidelberg.
(11) Janani, R., & Gopal, A. (2013, September). Identification of selected medicinal plant leaves using image features and ANN. In Advanced Electronic Systems (ICAES), 2013 International Conference on (pp. 238-242). IEEE.
(12) Kumar, E. S., & Talasila, V. (2014, April). Leaf features based approach for automated identification of medicinal plants. In Communications and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 2014 International Conference on (pp. 210-214). IEEE.
(13) Rahmani, M. E., Amine, A., & Hamou, M. R. (2015). Plant
Leaves Classification. ALLDATA 2015, 82.
(14) Chemburkar, A., Sartape, A., Gawade, A., Somawanshi, P., & Ghorpade, J. (2014). Automated Tool for Plant Leaf Classification Using Morphological Features. International Journal Of Engineering And Computer Science, 3(11), 9098-9102.
(15) J. Du, D. Huang, X. Wang, and X. Gu, “Shape recognition based on radial basis probabilistic neural network and application to plant species identification,” in Proceedings of 2005 International Symposium of Neural Networks, ser. LNCS 3497. Springer, 2005.
(16) Otsu, N. (1975). A threshold selection method from gray-level histograms. Automatica, 11(285-296), 23-27.