Measurement of Arterio-Venous Ratio for Detection of Hypertensive Retinopathy through Digital Color Fundus Images
Keywords:Hypertensive retinopathy, fundus image, arterio-venous ratio, arteriovenous nicking
Hypertensive retinopathy is a retinal vascular damage caused by high blood pressure which results in loss of vision. In the present work, effort has been devoted to enhance and segment the retinal vasculature which is required to calculate its anatomical characteristics such as width, length for the quantitative measurement of arterio-venous ratio (AVR). Enhancement of the retinal fundus images is done using top-hat transform and segmentation of the vessels using iterative thresholding. The performance of the proposed method is tested on 50 digital fundus images of publicly available MESSIDOR dataset. The hypertensive retinopathy can be measured quantitatively by detecting the decrement in the ratio of width of retinal artery-vein to that of the normal images. The arterio-venous ratio obtained by applying the proposed methodology was found to be 0.62-0.735 in normal cases and 0.203-0.495 in case of patients suffering from hypertensive retinopathy on MESSIDOR dataset which was not performed earlier. This measurement of arterio-venous ratio will be further helpful to identify the stages of hypertensive retinopathy.
(1) T.Y. Wong, P. Mitchell, Hypertensive retinopathy. NEJM 2004;351:2310–7.
(2) T.Y. Wong, R. Klein, B.E.K. Klein, J.M. Tielsch, L. Hubbard, and F.J. Nieto, Retinal microvascular abnormalities and their relationship with hypertension, cardiovascular disease, and mortality. Survey Ophthal 2001;46:59–80.
(3) K. Kumari and D. Mittal, Drusen Quantification for Early Identification of Age Related Macular Degeneration. Advances in Image and Video Processing, Volume 3 No 3, June (2015); pp: 28-40
(4) K. Narasimhan , V.C. Neha, K.Vijayarekha, Hypertensive Retinopathy Diagnosis from Fundus Images by Estimation of AVR. Procedia Engineering 12/2012; 38:980-993. DOI: 10.1016/j.proeng.2012.06.124
(5) G.C. Manikis, V. Sakkalis, X. Zabulis, P. Karamaounas, A.Triantafyllou, S. Douma, C. Zamboulis, K. Marias, An Image Analysis Framework for the Early Assessment of Hypertensive Retinopathy Signs. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on E-Health and Bioengineering - EHB 2011,24th-26thNovember, 2011, Iaşi, Romania
(6) C. Agurto, V. Joshi, S. Nemeth, P. Soliz, S. Barriga, Detection of hypertensive retinopathy using vessel measurements and textural features. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc 2014 ; 978-1-4244-7929-0/14
(7) S. Khitran, M.U. Akram, A. Usman, U Yasin, Automated System for the Detection of Hypertensive Retinopathy. Image Processing Theory, Tools and Applications (IPTA), 10.1109/IPTA.2014.7001984
(8) D. Ortíz, M. Cubides, A. Suarez, M. Zequera, J. Quiroga, Dr.J.A. Gómez, Dr. N. Arroyo, Support System for the Preventive Diagnosis of Hypertensive Retinopathy. 978-1-4244-4124-2/10 ©2010 IEEE
(9) A.Ruggeri, E. Grisan, M.D. Luca, An automatic system for the estimation of generalized arteriolar narrowing in retinal images. Proceedings of the 29th Annual International Conference of the IEEE, France. 1-4244-0788-5/07
(10) V.P. Patil, P.R. Wankhede, Pre-Processing Steps for Segmentation of Retinal Blood Vessels. International Journal of Computer Applications (0975 – 8887) Volume 94 – No 12, May 2014
(11) K.Kumari and D.Mittal, Automated Drusen Detection Technique for Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Imaging, Volume 2, No 1, Feb (2015) , pp 18-26
(12) D. Mittal , V. Kumar , S.C. Saxena , N. Khandelwal , N. Kalra, Enhancement of the ultrasound images by modified anisotropic diffusion method. Med Biol Eng Comput (2010) 48:1281–1291
(13) K. Sharma and D. Mittal, Contrast Enhancement Technique for CT Images. Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Imaging, Volume 2, No 1, Feb (2015) , pp 44-50
(14) J. Kaur and D. Mittal, Segmentation and Measurement of Exudates in Fundus Images of the Retina for Detection of Retinal Disease. Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Medical Imaging, Volume 2, No 1, Feb
(2015) , pp 27-38
(15) S.Chugh, J. Kaur, D. Mittal, Exudates Segmentation in Retinal Fundus Images for the Detection of Diabetic Retinopathy. International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) ISSN: 2278-0181
Vol. 3 Issue 10, October- 2014
(16) Fraz, M.M., Remagnino, P., Hoppe, A., Uyyanonvara, B., Rudnicka, A.R., Owen, C.G., Barman, Blood vessel segmentation methodologies in retinal images – A survey. Computer methods and programs in biomedicine 108(1), 407-433 (2012).
(17) D. Mittal, K. Kumari, Automated detection and segmentation of drusen in retinal fundus images. doi:10.1016/j.compeleceng.2015.08.014
(18) Fraz, M.M., Remagnino, P., Hoppe, A., Uyyanonvara, B., Owen, C., Rudnicka, A., Barman, Retinal Vessel Extraction Using First-Order Derivative of Gaussian and Morphological Processing. In: Bebis, G., Boyle, R., Parvin, B., Koracin, D., Wang, S., Kyungnam, K., Benes, B., Moreland, K., Borst, C., DiVerdi, S., Yi-Jen, C., Ming, J. (eds.)
(19) M. Niemeijer, X. Xu, A.V. Dumitrescu, P. Gupta, B.V. Ginneken, Automated Measurement of the Arteriolar-to-Venular Width Ratio in Digital Color Fundus Photographs. IEEE Transactions on medical imaging, vol. 30, no. 11, November 2011
(20) Fraz, M.M., Remagnino, P., Hoppe, A., Basit, A., Rudnicka, A.R., Owen, C.G., Barman, Quantification of blood vessel calibre in retinal images of multi-ethnic school children using a model based approach. Computerized Medical Imaging and Graphics 37(1), 60-72 (2013). doi:10.1016/j.compmedimag.2013.01.004
(21) J.C. Parr, G.F.S. Spears, General caliber of the retinal arteries expressed as the equivalent width of the central retinal artery. Am J Ophthalmol 1974;77:472–7
(22) J.C. Parr, G.F.S. Spears, Mathematic relationships between the width of a retinal artery and the widths of its branches. Am J Ophthalmol 1974;77:478–83
(23) L.D Hubbard, Methods for Evaluation of Retinal Microvascular Abnormalities Associated with Hypertension/Sclerosis in the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study. Ophthalmology 1999;106:2269–2280
(24) N.M. Keith, H.P. Wagener, N.W. Barker (1939), Some different types of essential hypertension: their course and prognosis. Am J Med Sci, 197, 332–43
(25) Fraz, M.M., Welikala, R.A., Rudnicka, A.R., Owen, C.G., Strachan, D.P., Barman, QUARTZ: Quantitative Analysis of Retinal Vessel Topology and size – An automated system for quantification of retinal vessels morphology.ExpertSystemswithApplications;42 (20),7221-7234(2015). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.eswa.2015.05.022
(26) Fraz, M.M., Rudnicka, A.R., Owen, C.G., Strachan, D.P., Barman, Automated Arteriole and Venule Recognition in Retinal Images using Ensemble Classification. 9th International Conference on Computer Vision Theory and Applications (VISAAP), Lisbon, Portugal, 5-8 January 2014 2014