ELECTROPHYSIOLOGICAL ASSESSMENT, CAUSES AND MANAGEMENT OF CHILDREN WITH SUPPOSED HEARING LOSS IN A NIGERIAN EAR CLINIC

  • J. E. Tobih Department of Otorhinolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria
  • O. A. Sogebi ENT Unit, Department of Surgery, OACHS, Olabisi Onabanjo University, Sagamu, Ogun State, Nigeria
  • A. A. Adeosun Department of Otorhinolaryngology, College of Medicine, University of Ibadan, Oyo State, Nigeria
  • A. O. Olaosun Department of Otorhinolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria
  • O. Odetoyinbo Department of Ear, Nose and Throat, Afe Babalola University Multi-System Hospital, Ado-Ekiti, Ekiti State, Nigeria
  • T. O. Adedeji
  • B. F. Ojurongbe Department of Otorhinolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria
  • B. A. Adegbosin Department of Otorhinolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria
  • Y. I. Adeyemo Department of Child Dental Health, Faculty of Dentistry, Bayero University Kano/Aminu Kano Teaching Hospital, Kano – Kano State, Nigeria
  • O. OGUNDIRAN Department of Otorhinolaryngology / Head & Neck Surgery, Ladoke Akintola University of Technology Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria
Keywords: Electrophysiological Hearing Assessment, Congenital Hearing Loss, Otoacoustic Emission, Auditory Brainstem Response

Abstract

Background: Early detection and intervention programs for children with hearing loss have proven to be beneficial in developed countries, whereas in Nigeria, it takes an average of 1 to 5 years to identify hearing loss in children.

Objective: The aim of this study is to objectively assess children with supposed hearing loss

as seen in the otological clinic of LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Osogbo, Nigeria.

Methods: A retrospective study of 52 Children who presented at the otological clinic of LAUTECH Teaching Hospital with supposed hearing loss. Otoacoustic Emissions (MAICO ERO SCAN) and Auditory Brainstem Response (MAICO MB 11) were used to assess their hearing abilities. Analysis of data was done through simple percentage using SPSS 16.

Results: OAE results revealed that only 7 (13.5%) passed bilaterally while the remaining 45 (86.5%) were referred. ABR reports revealed on the right ears that 6 (11.5%) patients had normal hearing while the remaining 46 (88.5%) were abnormal and on the left ears, 4 (7.7%) patients were normal while 48 (92.3%) were abnormal. Out of the 52 patients seen, 49 (94.2%) accounted for and they received the best management that could be offered while the remaining 3 (5.8%) were lost to follow up.

Conclusion: In developing countries like ours, early screening of neonates is hampered by lack of appropriate equipment and appropriate national policy, hence devastating consequences are recorded whereas in developed countries, newborn hearing screening programs enable early hearing loss detection and intervention which produce long-lasting beneficial effects in every aspect of life endeavor.

References

1. American Academy of Pediatrics; Joint Committee on Infant Hearing. Year 2007 position statement: principles and guidelines for early hearing detection and intervention programs. Pediatrics, 2007; 120: 898-921.

2. Global estimates on the prevalence of hearing loss. World Health Organisation, 2012 [cited 14th January 2017].

3 WHO 2018. 10 Facts about deafness. https://www.who.int/features/factfiles/deafness/en/ retrieved 14th February, 2019.

4 Olusanya BO, Newton VE. Global burden of childhood hearing impairment and disease control priorities for developing countries. Lancet, 2007;369:1314-1317.


5 Swanepoel D, Störbeck C, Friedland P. Early hearing detection and intervention in South Africa. Int J PediatrOtorhinolaryngol, 2009;73:783-790

6 Jamison DT, Breman JG, Measham AR. Disease control priorities in developing countries. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2006.

7 Lieu JE . Speech-language and educational consequences of unilateral hearing loss in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 2004;130:524-530

8 Allen,TE . Patterns of academic achievement among hearing impaired students: 1974 and 1983. In: Schildroth, AN, Karchmer, MA eds. Deaf Children in America. Boston, MA: College-Hill Press; 1986:161-206.

9 Holden-Pitt L, Albertori J. Thirty years of the annual survey of deaf and hard-of-hearing children and youth: a glance over the decades. Am Ann Deaf, 1998;143:72-76.

10 Mohr PE, Feldman JJ, Dunbar JL. The societal costs of severe to profound hearing loss in the United States. Int J Technol Assess Health Care, 2000;16:1120-1135.

11. Roux le, Swanepoel de T, Louw W, Vinck A, Tshifularo B. Profound childhood hearing loss in a South Africa cohort: risk profile, diagnosis and age of intervention. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 2015;79:8-14
12. American Academy of Audiology. Childhood hearing screening guidelines. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/hearingloss/documents/aaa_childhood-hearing-guidelines_2011.pdf. Published September 2011. Accessed January 22, 2017.

13. Committee on Infant Hearing. Year 2007 position statement of the Joint Committee on Infant Hearing: Principles and guidelines for early hearing detection and intervention programs. Pediatrics,2007; 120: 898–921.
14. Olusanya B, Ebuehi O, Somefun A. Universal infant hearing screening programme in a community with predominantly non-hospital births: a three-year experience. J Epidemiol Commun Health 2009; 63:481–6.
15. Ijaduola G. The problems of the profoundly deaf Nigerian child. Postgr Doctor Afr ,1982; 4:180–4.

16. Nelson HD, Bougatsos C, Nygren P. Universal newborn hearing screening: systematic review to update the 2001 US preventive services task force recommendation. Pediatrics, 2008; 122:266–76.

17. Dunmade AD, Segun-Busari S, Olajide TG, Ologe FE. Profound bilateral sensorineural hearing loss in nigerian children: any shift in etiology? J Deaf Stud Deaf Educ 2007;12:112-118.

18. Olusanya BO, Wirz SL, Luxon LM. Non-hospital delivery and permanent congenital and early-onset hearing loss in a developing country. BJOG, 2008;115:1419-1427.

19. Dietz A, Löppönen T, Valtonen H, Hyvärinen A, Löppönen H. Prevalence and etiology of con¬genital or early acquired hearing impairment in Eastern Finland. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol, 2009;73:1353-1357.

20. Wild NJ, Sheppard S, Smithells RW, Holzel H, Jones G. Onset and severity of hearing loss due to congenital rubella infection. Arch Dis Child, 1989;64:1280-1283.

21. Filippi V, Ronsmans C, Campbell OM, Graham WJ, Mills A, Borghi J, et al. Maternal health in poor countries: the broader context and a call for action. Lancet, 2006; 368:1535-1541.

22. Fzechi OC, Fasubaa OB, Obiesie LO, Kalu BK, Loto OM, Dubub VI, et al. Delivery outside hos¬pital after antenatal care: prevalence and its predic¬tors. J Obstet Gynaecol, 2004; 24:745-749.

23. Bullough C, Meda N, Makowiecka K, Ronsmans C, Achadi EL, Hussein J. Currentstrategies for the reduction of maternal mortality. BJOG, 2005; 112:1180-1188.

24.Attias J, Al-Masri M, Abukader L, Cohen G, Merlov P, Pratt H, et al. The prevalence of congenital and early-onset hearing loss in Jordanian and Israeli in¬fants. Int J Audiol, 2006; 45:528-536.

25. Bachmann KR, J.C. Arvedson JC. Early Identification and Intervention for Children Who are Hearing Impaired. Pediatr. Rev,1998; 19: 155-165.
26. Bess F.H., Dodd-MurphyJ, ParkerRA. Children with minimal sensorineural prevalence, educational performance and functional status. Ear and Hearing,1998. 19: 339-54.
27 Olusanya BO, Okolo AA, Ijaduola GTA . The hearing profile of Nigerian school children. Int J. Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol.,2000; 55: 173-179.
Published
2019-09-28