An Improved Error Control Model in Packet Switched Wide Area Networks
Error is an important problem in communication that occurs in shared networks when a packet fails to arrive at the destination or it arrives at the destination but some of the bits are in error or have been altered. In typical packet switched wide area networks, this can occur quite easily when output links are slower than inputs and multiple traffic sources competing for same output link at the same time. Typical for packet switched WAN, the packet transmit input/output buffer and queue of the network devices in their way towards the destination. Moreover, these networks are characterized by the fact that packets often arrive in “burst”. The buffers in the network devices are intended to assimilate these traffic hosts until they can be processed. Nevertheless, the available buffers in the network nodes may fill up rapidly if the network traffic is too high which in turn may lead to discarded packets. The situation cannot be avoided by increasing the size of the buffers, since unreasonable buffer size will lead to excessive end-to-end (e2e) delay. A typical scenario for congestion occurs where multiple incoming link feed into single outgoing link (e.g several Local Area Networks connected to Wide Area Networks). The routers of the networks are highly susceptible for traffic congestion because they are too small for the amount of traffic required to handle.
This paper presented general concepts of Error Control and its mechanisms and its application to packet switched wide area networks An improved model was proposed with reduced error while transmitting packets from one channel to the other.
Simulating the model for reducing error control in packet switched wide area networks increased the number of messages, reduced response time used in transmitting and receiving packets, reduced network utilization.
(1) Ababneh, J. and O. Almomani, (2014), Survey of Error Correction Mechanisms for Video Streaming over the Internet, International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science Applications, West Yorkshire, U.K., Vol. 5, No. 3., Pages 155–161.
(2) Abdullah, A.S., M.J. Abbasi and N. Fisal, (2015), Review of Rateless-Network-Coding Based Packet Protection in Wireless Sensor Networks, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, Mobile Information Systems, Volume 2015, Article ID 641027, Pages 1–15, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/641027.
(3) Ajutsu, H., K. Ueda, H. Saito, (2017), MEC: Network Optimized Multi-Stage Erasure coding for Scalable Storage Systems, IEEE 22nd Pacific Rim International Symposium on Dependable Computing, Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand, Pages 292–300.
(4) Aliyu F.M., Y. Osais, I. Keshta, A. Binajjaj, (2015). Maximizing Throughput of SW ARQ with Network Coding through Forward Error Correction, International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Application, Vol. 6, No. 6.
(5) Arrobo, G. and R. Gitlin, (2014), Minimising Energy Consumption for Cooperative Network and Diversity Coded Sensor Networks, 2014 Wireless Telecommunications Symposium, Pages 103 – 109.
(6) Bada, A.B. (2017) Automatic Repeat Request (ARQ) Protocols, The International Journal of Engineering and Science (IJES), Vol 6, Issue 5, Pages 64-66.
(7) Balinga, J. (2011), Energy Consumption in Wired and Wireless Access Networks, IEEE Communications Magazine, Volume 49, Issue 6, pages 70 – 77, South West, Nimbus Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97233, U.S.A
(8) Berkekamp, E. R., R. E. Peile, and S. P. Pope, (1987), The Applications of Error Control to Communications, IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 25, No. 4., Pages 44 – 57.
(9) Y. Chen, K. Kralevska and H. Overby, (2016), Combining Forward Error Correction and Network Coding in Bufferless Networks: A Case Study for Optical Packet Switching, IEEE 17th International Conference Switching and Routing, Yokohama, Japan, Pages 61-68.
(10) Blaum, M., Brandy, J., Bruck, J., and Menon, J., (1996), Evenodd: An Efficient Scheme of tolerating double disk failures in RAID Architecures, IEEE Transaction Computation, No. 44, Pages 192-202.
(11) Bosco, H. L. and Dowden, D.C., (2000), Evolution of Wide Area Networks, Bellab Technical Journal, Volume 5, Pages 46–72.
(12) Bose, R.C. and D. K. Ray-Chaudhuri (1960), On a Class of Error Correcting Binary Group Codes at Information and Control 3, Pages 68-79.
(13) Chen, H., Fu Song, (2016), Improving Coding Performance and Energy Efficiency of Erasure Coding Process for Storage Systems – A Parallel and Scalable Approach, Institute of Electronics and Electrical Engineers, 9th International Conference on Cloud Computing, Pages 933-936.
(14) Dai, B., W. Zhao, Jan Yang and Lu Lv, (2014) CODEC: Content Distribution with (N,K) Erasure code in MaNET, International Journal of Computer Networks and Communications (IJCNC), Vol. 6, No. 4, Pages 39–51.
(15) Dimakis, A.G. and K. Ramchadran (2008), Network Coding for Distributed Storage in Wireless Networks, Networked Sensing Information and Control, Springer Science + Business Media, LLC, 2008, Pages 115–134.
(16) Donglas, C., S. B. Toby and R. Bridgehall, (2004), Energy Efficiency of CSMA protocols for Wireless Packet Switched Networks, Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference, Volume 1, Pages 447-452.
(17) Dressler, F., M. B. Li, R. Kapitza, S. Ripperger, C. Eibel, B. Herzog, T. Honig and W. Schroder-Prekischat. (2016). Monitoring Bats in the Wild: On Using Erasure Codes for Efficient Wireless Sensor Networks, ACM Transaction on Sensor Networks, Vol 12, No 1, Article 7.
(18) Elfouly, T., M. Saleh and O. M. Malluhi (2008), Efficient Forward Error Correction for Reliable Transmission in Packet Network, Proceedings of 2008 International Conference on Parallel and Distributed
Techniques and Applications, Las Vegas, U.S.A, Volume 1, Pages 103-109.
(19) Elias, P. (1955), Coding for Noisy Channels, Proceedings of 3rd London Symposium, Information Theory Pages 61-66.
(20) Eramo, V., E. Miucci, A. Ciafrani, A. Germoni and M. Listani, (2011), World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, International Journal of Energy and Power Engineering, Seoul, South Korea, Vol. 5, No. 9, Page 136-141.
(21) Eriksson, O., (2011). Error Control in Wireless Sensor Networks, A Process Control Perspective, Examensarbete 30 hp, PTECH F11 030.
(22) Fashandi S., S. O. Gharan, A.K. Khadani, (2009), Path Diversity over Packet Switched Networks: Performance Analysis and Rate Allocation, Institute for Electrical Engineers/ Association of Computer Machinery Transactions on Networking, Vol. 18, No. 5, Pages 1373-1386.
(23) Flardh, O. K., H. Johansson and M. Johansson (2005), A New Feedback Control Mechanism for Error Correction in Packet Switched Networks, Proceedings of 44th IEEE Conference on Decision and Control and the European Control Conference, Seville, Spain, Pages 488-493.
(24) Fujimura, A., Soon O. Oh, and M. Gerla, (2008), Network Coding vs Erasure Coding: Reliable Multicast in Adhoc Networks, IEEE Proceedings, Military Communications Conference, MILCOM 2008, Unclassified Proceedings, Nov. 17-19, San Diego, U.S.A., Pages 1-7.
(25) Gelenbe, E., and S. Silvestri, (2009), Reducing Power Consumption in Wired Networks, 24th International Symposium on Computer and Information Sciences, North Cyprus, Pages 292-297.
(26) Greferath M., and A. Vazquez-Castro (2016), Fundamentals of Coding for Network Coding and Applications, European Conference on Networks and Communications, Athens, Greece.
(27) Gross, A.J., (1973), Some Augumentations of Bose_Chaudhuri error correcting codes in Srivastava, J.N.,(Edition); A survey of Combinatorial Theory, North-Holland, Amsterdam.
(28) Hang, L., H. Ma. M. El Zarki and S. Gupta (1997), Error Control Schemes for networks; An Overview, Mobile Networks and Network Applications No. 2, Pages 167-182.
(29) P. Felber, A. Kermarrec, and F. Taiani, (2017), Agar: A Caching System for Erasure Coded Data, ICDCS 2017 – 37th IEEE International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems, June 2017, Atlanta, GA, United States, Pages 1–11.
(30) Harshan J., A. Datta and F. Oggrer, (2016), Differential Erasure Codes for Efficient Archival of Versioned Data in Cloud Storage System, Transaction on Large Scale Data and Knowledge Centre Systems (TLDKS, XXX LCNS 10130), Springer Verilag GmBH Germany, Pages 23 – 65.
(31) Havinga, P.J.M.,(1999), Energy Efficiency of Error Correction on Wireless System, Proceedings of IEEE Wireless Communication and Networking Conference, (WCNC, 1999), Pages 1–14 .
(32) Hicks, M., (2004). Managing Gigabit Networks, Applications and Services – Compuware; Questnet 2204 Conference Networking Far and Wide Held at Cairns International Hotel, Cairns, Austrailia.
(33) Ho, Tracey and Desmond S. Lun, (2008), Network Coding: An Introduction, Cambridge University Press, New York, U.S.A.
(34) IDC, (2012), IDC’s Digital Universe Study, Sponsored by EMC; White Paper, December, 2012.
(35) Jinhua, Z., C. Qiao, and Xing Wang, (2006), On Accurate Energy Consumption Models for Wireless Adhoc Networks, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communication, Vol 5, 1ssue 11.
(36) Johnson M., (2003), Adaptive Forward Error Correction for Real Time Internet Video, Proceedings of the 13th Packet Video Workshop, Nantes, France, Pages 1-9.
(37) Justesen, J., (1976), On the Complexity of Decoding Reed Solomon Codes, IEEE Transformational Information Theory, No. 22, Pages 237-238.
Copyright (c) 2019 Voke Ogbimi, Emuejevoke Francis
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.