Water Wave Optimization Algorithm based Congestion Control and Quality of Service Improvement in Wireless Sensor Networks
Keywords:Water wave optimization algorithm, Congestion control, Wireless Sensor Networks
Many researchers have implemented various machine learning algorithms and verify their results with the existing algorithms to control congestion in Wireless Sensor Networks. The major challenge lies in developing an algorithm which optimizes the value of the objective function on the basis of parameters like network throughput, residual energy and packet loss rate of the nodes in the network. An objective function based on these parameters is proposed in the present work. Water wave optimization algorithm is applied on the objective function and an optimum solution is obtained. The proposed approach is compared with the Congestion Detection and Avoidance algorithm (CODA) and Particle Swarm Optimization Algorithm (PSO). The proposed solution outperforms both algorithms on the basis of various performance parameters.
(1) Kandris, D., Tsioumas, P.; Tzes, A., Nikolakopoulos, G., & Vergados, D. (2009). Power conservation through energy efficient routing in wireless sensor networks. Sensors, 9, 7320–7342.
(2) Jin, Z., Ping, Y., Wang, Z., Ping, L., & Guang, L. (2009). A survey on position-based routing algorithms in wireless sensor networks. Algorithms, 2, 158–182.
(3) Alam Bhuiyan and et al. , Energy and bandwidth-efficient wireless sensor networks for monitoring high-frequency events, in: Proceeding of 10th Annual IEEE Communications Society Conference on.Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks (SECON), IEEE, 2013, pp. 194 –
(4) Yick, J., Mukherjee, B., & Ghosal, D. (2008). Wireless sensor network survey, Computer Networks, 52(12), 2292–2330.
(5) Rawat, P., Kamal Deep Singh, Hakima C., & Jean Marie Bonnin. (2014). Wireless sensor networks: a survey on recent developments and potential synergies. The Journal of Supercomputing, 68(1), 1-48.
(6) Lo, Shou-Chih, Jhih-Siao Gao, & Chih-Cheng Tseng. (2003). A water-wave broadcast scheme for emergency messages in VANET. Wireless personal communications, 71(1), 217-241.
(7) I.F. Akyildiz, W. Su, ,Y. Sankarasubramaniam, & E. Cayirci. (2002). Wireless sensor networks: a survey. Computer Networks, 38(4), 393–422.
(8) Jennifer Yick, Biswanath Mukherjee, & Dipak Ghosal. (2008), Wireless sensor network survey, Computer Networks, 52(12), 2292–2330.
(9) Stefanos A. Nikolidakis, Dionisis Kandris, Dimitrios D. Vergados, & Christos Douligeris. (2013). Energy Efficient Routing in Wireless Sensor Networks Through Balanced Clustering. Algorithms, 6, 29-42.
(10) S. Motdhare. (2015). Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks: Mobile Sink Approach. International Journal of Science and Research, 4(1), 2561-2565.
(11) P. Antoniou, A. Pitsillides, T. Blackwell, A. Engelbrecht, & L. Michael. (2011). Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks based on Bird Flocking Behavior. Computer Networks, 57(5), 1167–1191.
(12) A.K. Luha, T. Vengattraman, & M. Sathya. (2014). RAHTAP Algorithm for Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Network. International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer and Communication Engineering, 3(4), 6250-6255.
(13) X. Wei-qiang, & W. Tie-jun. (2006). Optimal congestion control algorithm for ad hoc networks: Penalty function-based approach. Journal of Zhejiang university SCIENCE A, 7(12), 2110-2117.
(14) V. Raghunathan, & P.R. Kumar. (2007). Counterexample in Congestion Control of Wireless Networks. Performance Evaluation, 64(5), 399-418.
(15) C. Zhao, Y. Luo, F. Chen, J. Zhang, & R. Wang. (2014). Energy Effective Congestion Control for Multicast with Network Coding in Wireless Ad Hoc Network. Mathematical Problems in Engineering, 2014.
(16) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M. and Singh, S.B., Bio Inspired Congestion Control Mechanism for Wireless Sensor Networks, in: Proceedings of 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Computing Research (ICCIC), Madurai, India, December, 2015.
(17) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M., & Singh, S.B. (2015). Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks Based on Bioluminescent Firefly Behavior. Wireless Sensor Networks, 7, 149-156.
(18) Yu-Jun Zheng. (2015). Water wave optimization: A New Nature-inspired Metaheuristic. Computers & Operations Research, 55, 1–11.
(19) Wan. C.Y, Eisenman. S. B., & Campbell. A. T, CODA: Congestion Detection and Avoidance in Sensor Networks, in: Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Embedded networked sensor systems, SenSys
'03 , Los Angeles, 2003, pp.266 - 279 .
(20) Antoniou P., Pitsillides A., Blackwell T., Engelbrecht A., & Michael L. (2013). Congestion Control in Wireless Sensor Networks based on Bird Flocking Behaviour Congestion. Computer Networks, 57(5), 1167-1191.
(21) R. C. Eberhart, J. A Kennedy, New optimizer using particle swarm theory, in: Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro machine and Human Science, Nagoya, Japan, 1995, pp: 39-43.
(22) Kennedy, J., & Eberhart, R.C. (1995). Particle swarm optimization, in: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Neural Networks, Piscataway, NJ, 1995, pp. 1942-1948.
(23) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M. and Singh, S.B., Firefly algorithm based clustering technique for Wireless Sensor Networks, in: Proceedings of International Conference on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), 23-25 March 2016.
(24) Akkaya K. & Younis M. (2005). A Survey of Routing Protocols in Wireless Sensor Networks. Ad Hoc Networks, 3(3), 325-349.
(25) Manshahia, M.S., Dave, M., & Singh, S.B.(2016). Improved Bat Algorithm Based Energy Efficient Congestion Control Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks. Wireless Sensor Network, 8, 229- 241.