Secure File Sharing in Multi-clouds using Shamir’s Secret Sharing Scheme
Keywords:Base64, Advance Encryption Standard, Multi-Cloud, Secure File Sharing (SFS), Secret Sharing.
Cloud computing is a significant model for permitting on-demand network access to shared data, software’s, infrastructure, and platform resources. However, cloud storage needs a certain level of availability, confidentiality, and integrity. Information sensitivity and value encourage users to select a highly secure protocol. This work proposes a new mechanism to increase the user trust in cloud computing using the secret sharing technique. The proposed algorithm is using Base64 encoding to convert any file type to ASCII strings. Base64 strings do not need any extra process to be compressed and this can speed up the share building process. Each string is used to produce N shares (using Shamir Secret Sharing Scheme) where each share is stored in a separate location in the cloud.
(1) Z. Chen, S. Li, Y. Zhu, J. Yan, and X. Xu, "A cheater identifiable multi-secret sharing scheme based on the Chinese remainder theorem," Security and Communication Networks, vol. 8, pp. 3592-3601, 2015.
(2) A. Shamir, "How to share a secret," Communications of the ACM, vol. 22, pp. 612-613, 1979.
(3) G. R. Blakley, "Safeguarding cryptographic keys," in afips, 1979 p. 313.
(4) S. Iftene, "Secret Sharing Schemes with Applications in Security Protocols," Sci. Ann. Cuza Univ., vol. 16, pp. 63-96, 2006.
(5) M. Mignotte, "How to share a secret," in Cryptography, ed: Springer, 1982, pp. 371-375.
(6) C.-C. Thien and J.-C. Lin, "Secret image sharing," Computers & Graphics, vol. 26, pp. 765-770, 2002.
(7) R. Lukac and K. N. Plataniotis, "Colour image secret sharing," Electronics Letters, vol. 40, p. 529, 2004.
(8) D.-C. Lou, H.-H. Chen, H.-C. Wu, and C.-S. Tsai, "A
novel authenticatable color visual secret sharing scheme using non-expanded meaningful shares," Displays, vol. 32, pp. 118-134, 2011.
(9) D.-S. Tsai, G. Horng, T.-H. Chen, and Y.-T. Huang, "A novel secret image sharing scheme for true-color images with size constraint," Information Sciences, vol. 179, pp. 3247-3254, 2009.
(10) T.-H. Chen and K.-H. Tsao, "Visual secret sharing by random grids revisited," Pattern Recognition, vol. 42, pp. 2203-2217, 2009.
(11) N. S. Alex and L. J. Anbarasi, "Enhanced image secret sharing via error diffusion in halftone visual cryptography," in Electronics Computer Technology (ICECT), 2011 3rd International Conference on, 2011, pp. 393-397.
(12) C.-N. Yang, "New visual secret sharing schemes using probabilistic method," Pattern Recognition Letters, vol. 25, pp. 481-494, 2004.
(13) T.-L. Lin, S.-J. Horng, K.-H. Lee, P.-L. Chiu, T.-W. Kao, Y.-H. Chen, et al., "A novel visual secret sharing scheme for multiple secrets without pixel expansion," Expert systems with applications, vol. 37, pp. 7858-7869, 2010.
(14) M. Sasaki and Y. Watanabe, "Formulation of visual secret sharing schemes encrypting multiple images," in Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2014 IEEE International Conference on, 2014, pp. 7391-7395.
(15) J. He, W. Lan, and S. Tang, "A secure image sharing scheme with high quality stego-images based on steganography," Multimedia Tools and Applications, 2016.
(16) P. Li, C.-N. Yang, and Z. Zhou, "Essential secret
image sharing scheme with the same size of shadows," Digital Signal Processing, vol. 50, pp. 51-60, 2016.
(17) N. Askari, C. Moloney, and H. M. Heys, "A novel visual secret sharing scheme without image size expansion," in Electrical & Computer Engineering (CCECE), 2012 25th IEEE Canadian Conference on, 2012, pp. 1-4.
(18) X.-Y. Liu, M.-S. Chen, and Y.-L. Zhang, "A new color visual cryptography scheme with perfect contrast," in Communications and Networking in China (CHINACOM), 2013 8th International ICST Conference on, 2013, pp. 449-454.
(19) M. Kallahalla, E. Riedel, R. Swaminathan, Q. Wang, and K. Fu, "Plutus: Scalable Secure File Sharing on Untrusted Storage."
(20) J. Y. Xin Dong, Yuan Luo, Yingying Chen, Guangtao Xue, and Minglu Li, "Achieving an effective, scalable and privacy-preserving data sharing service in cloud computing," Computers & security, pp. 151–164, 2014.
(21) A. Bessani, M. Correia, B. Quaresma, F. André, and P. Sousa, "DepSky: dependable and secure storage in a cloud-of-clouds," ACM Transactions on Storage (TOS), vol. 9, p. 12, 2013.
(22) F. Alsolami and T. Boult, "CloudStash: using secret-sharing scheme to secure data, not keys, in multi-clouds," in Information Technology: New Generations (ITNG), 2014 11th International Conference on, 2014, pp. 315-320.
(23) V. S. Agme and A. C. Lomte, "Cloud Data Storage Security Enhancement Using Identity Based Encryption," Identity, vol. 3, 2014.
(24) D. Esbensen, "Apparatus and method for fast data encoding and decoding," ed: Google Patents, 2012.
(25) S. Josefsson, "The base16, base32, and base64 data encodings," 2006.
(26) W. L. Li, R. X. Zhu, J. Kang, L. Tao, and G. H. Cai, "A Design of Improved Base64 Encoding Algorithm Based on FPGA," in Applied Mechanics and Materials, 2014, pp. 2220-2223.
(27) M. Shirali-Shahreza and S. Shirali-Shahreza, "Sending pictures by SMS," in Advanced Communication Technology, 2009. ICACT 2009. 11th International Conference on, 2009, pp. 222-223.
(28) G. Singh, "Modified Vigenere Encryption Algorithm and Its Hybrid Implementation with Base64 and AES," in Advanced Computing, Networking and Security (ADCONS), 2013 2nd International Conference on, 2013, pp. 232-237.
(29) Wikipedia. (March 22). Base64. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base64
(30) M. Gobi and M. R. Sridevi, "Performance Analysis of Biometric Image Encryption in Transformed Formats using Public Key Cryptography," International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, vol. 6, 2015.
(31) R. Prajapati. (2014, March 22). Base64 Images Advantages & Disadvantages - CodeRiddles. Available: http://www.coderiddles.com/base64-images/
(32) T. Alkharobi, "Secure Repayable Storage System," in Global E-Security, ed: Springer, 2008, pp. 102-109.
(33) S. Gupta and S. Lamba, "An enhanced python based approach of secret sharing scheme with encryption," Issues, vol. 1, pp. 173-180.
(34) T. Guo, F. Liu, C. Wu, C. Yang, W. Wang, and Y. Ren, "Threshold Secret Image Sharing," in International Conference on Information and Communications Security, 2013, pp. 404-412.
(35) M. Kadam, S. Chaudhary, and B. Carvalho, "Security Approach for Multi-Cloud Data Storage," International Journal of Computer Applications, vol. 126, 2015.
(36) M. Villari, A. Celesti, F. Tusa, and A. Puliafito, "Data reliability in multi-provider cloud storage service with rrns," in European Conference on Service-Oriented and Cloud Computing, 2013, pp. 83-93.