Window Based Pulse Shaping Technique for DVB-T System
Keywords:DVB-T, OFDM, ISI, transmitter, receiver, filters, pulse shaping, windows, BER, AWGN
Digital Video Broadcasting (DVB) is an international standard for digital television services. Many versions of DVB are available for commercial use including DVB-H, DVB-S, DVB-C, DVB-T, and DVB-IPTV. In this paper we focus on the performances of DVB-T system. In DVB-T system Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM) has been used. The OFDM can minimize Inter Symbol Interference (ISI) and hence it is considered suitable for coping with multipath fading. Like all other OFDM based systems DVB-T signal has some limitations too namely large dynamic range of the signals, sensitivity to frequency error, and high peak to average ratio. It is shown in this paper that the system performance of the DVB-T system highly depends on the pulse shaping filter used in transmitter. Hence, a careful selection of pulse shaping filter is very important for DVB-T system in order to overcome the above mentioned limitations. It is also shown in this paper that the performance of DVB-T system in terms of Bit Error Rate (BER) can be significantly improved provided appropriate pulse shaping filters are chosen.
(1) “The World in 2011: ICT Facts and Figure”, Technical Report of International Telecommunication Union (ITU), October 2011
(2) Udelson, J.H., “ The Great Television Race: A History of the American Television Industry”, University of Alabama Press, 1982
(3) Press Release of ITU available at http://www.itu.int/net/pressoffice/press_release/2013/
(4) Uwe Ladebusch, and Claudia A. Liss, “ Terrestrial DVB (DVB-T): A Broadcast Technology for Stationary Portable and Mobile Use, Procedings of IEEE, Vol. 94, No. 1, January 2006, pp. 183-193
(6) Peter S.,” DVB: Developing Global Television Standards for Today and Tomorrow”, Technical Symposium at ITU, 2011
(7) Reimars, U.H., “ DVB-The Family of Internayional Standards for Digital Video Broadcasting”, Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 4, No. 1, 2006, pp. 173-182
(8) OFDM Simulation using Matlab available at http://www.ece.gatech.edu/research/ labs/ sarl/ tutorials / OFDM/Tutorial_web.pdf
(9) S. D. Assimonis, M. Matthaiou, G. K. Karagiannidis and J. A. Nossek, “Optimized Better Than Raised-TCosine Pulse for Reduced ICI in OFDM Systems”, in 17th International Conference on Telecommunications, 2010.
(10) M.Palaivelan, S. Anand and S. P. Venkatesan. 2012. “PAPR and ICI Reduction in OFDM Systems using Modified Raised Cosine Power Pulse Shape”, European Journal of Scientific Research ISSN 1450-216X Vol.72
No.4 (2012), pp. 618-627.
(11) Srabani Mohapatra and Susmita Das. 2009. “A New Approach For Performance Improvement of OFDM System Using Pulse Shaping”, M.Tech Thesis.NIT Rourkela.
(12) S. Aenagandula, A. Kumar, Srinivas K. and M. Nanda, “ Inter Carrier Interference and Signal to Interference Ratio of various Pulse Shaping Functions used in OFDM System with Carrier Frequency Offset”, International Journal of Electronics Signals and Systems (IJESS) ISSN: 2231-5969, Vol-1 Iss-3, 2012.
(13) J. Armstrong. “Analysis of new and existing methods of reducing intercarrier interference due to carrier frequency offset in OFDM”, IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 47, no. 3, pp. 365–369, Mar- 1999.
(14) H.M. Mourad. 2006. “Reducing ICI in OFDM systems using a proposed pulse shape”, Wireless Person. Communications. (2006)40: 41–48.
(15) Volkan Kumbasar and O˘guz Kucur. 2007. “ICI reduction in OFDM systems by using improved sinc power pulse”, Digital Signal Processing 17 (2007) 997–1006.
(16) Srabani Mohapatra and Susmita Das, “Performance Enhancement of OFDM System with ICI Reduction Technique”, In Proceedings of the World Congress on Engineering, Vol. I, July, 2009.
(17) D. Gandhi, S. Gupta, and U. Dalal, “ Implementing of Pulse Shaping Technique in OFDM system”, International Journal of Computer Application, Vol. 68, No. 10, April 2013, pp. 19-23
(18) R. Muthupriya, R. Jeyanthi, and N. Malmurugan, “ Semi Blind Channel Estimation Technique with Pulse Shaping for MIMO-OFDM Systems”, International Journal of Innovation Research in Science, Engineering, and Technology, Vol. 3, No. 3, March 2014, pp. 1644-1648
(19) Nor Adibah, Rezali Ngah, and Hamza M.R. Al-khafaj, “ Inter-carrier Interefernce Mitigation in OFDM System using a New Pulse Shaping Approach”, International Journal of Engineering and Technology, Vol. 6, No. 6, December 2014, pp. 2738-2746
(20) Sultana, T. and Shawkat S.A., “ Employment of pulse shaping techniques for efficient PARR reduction in OFDM system”, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Computer and Information Technology, Dhaka, December 2014, pp. 482-487
(21) Stylianos D. Assimonis, Michail Matthaiou, George K. Karagiannidis, and Josef A. Nossek, “ Optimized Better-Than Raised Cosine Pulse for Reduced ICI in OFDM System”, Proceedings of the 17th International Conference on Telecommunications, Doha, April 2010, pp. 249-252
(22) Fredric J. Harris, “ On the use of Windows for Harmonic Analysis with the Discrete Fourier Transform”, Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 66, 1978, pp. 51-83
(23) Alber H. Nuttal, “ Some Windows with Very Good Sidelobe Behavior”, IEEE Transactions on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, Vol. 29, No. 1, February 1981, pp. 84-91