A Survey on LDPC Codes for Cooperative Communications
Keywords:LDPC, Cooperative communication, factor graph, density evolution, Decode-and-Forward.
AbstractLDPC codes are being considered as the codes that can approach the theoretical capacity limit while are not so complicated to implement. In this survey paper, the application of LDPC codes in decode-and-forward cooperative communications is investigated. Most of current researches focus on how to implement the LDPC-coded cooperation effectively. Here we consider two approaches: the first one uses factor graph decoupling and the other uses bilayer LDPC codes. The performance analysis of these schemes is carried out by density evolution and by EXIT chart analysis. In addition, the methods to design the optimal LDPC codes for these systems are also introduced. The numerical results show that we can reach very close to the capacity limit of the relay channels. Finally, simulation results of a new iterative decoding technique for LDPC codes are also presented.
(1) Aria Nosratinia, Ahmadreza Hedayat, Cooperative communications in Wireless Networks, IEEE Communication Magazine, 2004.
(2) T. M. Cover and A. A. E. Gamal, Capacity Theorems for the Relay Channel, Informmation Theory, IEEE Transaction on, 1979. 25(5): pp. 572–84.
(3) A. Sendonaris, E. Erkip, and B. Aazhang, User Cooperation Diversity Part I and Part II, Communication, IEEE Transaction on, 2003. 51( 11): pp. 1927–48.
(4) T. E. Hunter and A. Nosratinia, Cooperation Diversity through Coding, Proceedings of 2002 IEEE International. Symposium on Information Theory (ISIT’02), Lausane, Switzerland, 2002. pp. 220.
(5) K.J. Ray Liu, Ahmed K. Sadek, Weifeng Su, Andres Kwasinski, Cooperative Communications and Networking, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
(6) J. N. Laneman, G. W. Wornell, and D. N. C. Tse, An Efficient Protocol for Realizing Cooperative Diversity in Wireless Networks, Proceedings of IEEE ISIT, Washington, DC, June 2001. p. 294.
(7) G. Kramer, M. Gastpar, and P. Gupta, Cooperative strategies and capacity theorems for relay networks, Information Theory, IEEE Transaction on, 2005. 51(9): pp. 3037–3063.
(8) R. G. Gallagher, Low-Density Parity-Check Codes, Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 1963.
(9) T. Richardson and R. Urbanke, The Renaissance of Gallager’s Low-Density Pariy-Check Codes, IEEE Communications Magazine, 2003, 41: pp. 126–131.
(10) F. R. Kschischang, B. J. Frey, and H. A. Loeliger, Factor Graphs and the Sum-Product Algorithm, Information Theory, IEEE Transaction on, 2001. 47(2): pp. 498-519.
(11) M. A. Khojastepour, N. Ahmed, and B. Aazhang, Code design for the relay channel and factor graph decoding, Proceedings of 38th Asilomar Conference on Signals and Systems, Computing. (Asilomar ’04), Pacific Grove, CA, Nov. 2004. pp.2000-2004.
(12) T. J. Richardson, M. A. Shokrolahhi, and R. L. Urbanke, Design of Capacity-Approaching Irregular Low-Density Parity-Check Codes, Information Theory, IEEE Transaction on, 2001. 47(2): pp. 619-637.
(13) T. J. Richardson, and R. L. Urbanke, The Capacity of Low-Density Parity-Check Codes under Message-Passing Coding, Information Theory, IEEE Transaction on, 2001. 47(2): pp. 599-618.
(14) E. Sharon, A. Ashikhmin, and S. Litsyn, EXIT Functions for the Gaussian Channel, Proceedings of 40th Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control, Computing (Allerton ’03), Allerton, IL, Oct. 2003. 2:pp. 972-981.
(15) S. ten Brink, G. Kramer, and A. Ashikhmin, Design of Low-Density Parity-Check Codes for Modulation and Detection, Communications, IEEE Transaction on, 2004. 52(4): pp. 670-678.
(16) S. ten Brink, Convergence behavior of iteratively decoded parallel concatenated codes, Communications, IEEE Transaction on, 2001. 49(10): pp. 1727–1737.
(17) G. Kramer, Communication strategies and coding for relaying, in Wireless Communications: IMA Volumes in Mathematics and its Applications, P. Agrawal, D. M. Andrews, P. J. Fleming, G. Yin, and L. Zhang, Eds. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2007. 143: pp. 163–175.
(18) P. Razaghi and W. Yu, Parity-forwarding for multiple-relay networks, in Proceedings of IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Seattle, WA, Jul. 2006. pp. 1678–1682.
(19) C. Li, G. Yue, M. A. Khojastepour, X. Wang, and M. Madihian, LDPC-coded Cooperative Relay Systems: Performance Analysis and Code Design, Communications, IEEE Transaction on, 2008. 56(3): pp. 485-496.
(20) P. Razaghi, and W. Yu, Bilayer Low-Density Parity-Check Codes for Decode-and-Forward in Relay Channels, Information Theory, IEEE Transaction on, 2007. 53(10): pp. 3723-3739.