Performance Evaluation of Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) Codes Over Gigabit Ethernet Protocol
Keywords:LDPC, BER, PER, FPGA, Gigabit Ethernet
Error Correcting Low density Parity Check codes enable the communication systems to have a low-power, reliable transmission over noisy channels and can achieve data rates very close to Shannon limit when iteratively decoded. They are used in many digital communication systems such as digital video broadcasting (DVB-S2), MIMO-WLAN (802.11n), WMAN (802.16e), mobile broadband wireless access (MBW A) (802.20) and have a very good error correcting performance over a variety of channels. In this paper we present a performance platform for simulation studies of of LDPC decoding algorithms. We present the results of the simulation studies of Bit Error Rate (BER) performance for various block length like 64 and 256 bytes frame over Additive White Gaussian Noise (AWGN) channel. The comparative studies are made for Log Domain and Log Doman Simple decoding algorithms.
(1) Yongyi Mao, Amir H. Banihashemi, Decoding Low-Density Parity-Check Codes With Probabilistic Scheduling, IEEE Communications Letters, 5(10)(2001).
(2) Bernhard, M. J. Leiner, LDPC Codes – a brief Tutorial , 2005.
(3) L. Ping , W. K. Leung, ‘Decoding low density parity check codes with finite quantization bits’; IEEE Comm. Letters, 4(2)(2000)62–64.
(4) S. Khatri, R. Brayton, A. Sangiovanni-Vincentelli, Cross-talk Immune VLSI Design Using a Network of PLAs Embedded in a Regular Layout Fabric’, IEEE/ACM International Conference on Computer-aided Design, (2000) 412–418.
(5) K. Shuaib, M. Alnuaimi, M. Boulmalf, I. Jawhar, F. Sallabi, A. Lakas, Performance evaluation of IEEE 802. 15. 4: experimental and simulation results, Journal of Communications, 2(4)(2007) 29–37.
(6) D. MacKay, Good error correcting codes based on very sparse matrices, IEEE Trans. Information Theory,(1999)399-431.
(7) Md. Murad Hossain, Md. Rakibul Islam, Md.Jahidul Islam, Asif Ahmed, Md. Shakir Khan, S. M. Ferdous, Modified Log Domain Decoding Algorithm for LDPC Codes over GF(q), Journal of Selected Areas in Telecommunications (JSAT), (2011).
(8) Hua Xiao, Amir H. Banihashemi, Estimation of Bit and Frame Error Rates of Finite-Length Low-Density Parity-Check Codes on Binary Symmetric Channels, IEEE Transactions On Communications, 55(12)(2007).
(9) Chris Howland, Andrew Blanksby, A 220 mW 1Gb/s 1024-Bit Rate-1/2 Low Density Parity Check Code Decoder, IEEE 2001 Custom Integrated Circuit Conference;(2001), 0.7803-6591-7/01.