Radiologic practice in the face of COVID-19. The impact on private Radiologic facilities in south-south Nigeria.
Radiologic practice in the face of COVID-19. The impact on private radiologic facilities in south-south Nigeria.
Background: CoronaVirus Disease (Covid-19) is a highly contagious disease that has spread to many countries all over the globe and the index case in Nigeria was confirmed on 27th February 2020. The study is aimed at evaluating the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on private radiologic facilities in south-south Nigeria. Methodology: This was a retrospective survey of 5 private radiologic facilities in Port Harcourt, south-south Nigeria from November 2019 to April 2020 using the facilities monthly statistics. The statistics were evaluated to assess the attendance of patients to radiologic investigation before and during the pandemic. The inclusion criteria are the availability of personal protective equipment (PPE) and radiologic practise guideline in accordance with the COVID-19 pandemic. Records concerning patient’s attendance to Plain radiography, Ultrasonography, Computed tomography, hysterosalpingography, mammography and Magnetic resonance imaging were reviewed. The data collated were analyzed and presented in tables, charts and graphs.Results: The highest number of patients was observed in November 2019 with 2.6% decrease in January, 82.9% and 90.1% decrease in March 2020 and April 2020 respectively. All the centres had a significant reduction in the use of radiologic facilities within this period of the pandemic. The negative economic impact was estimated to be huge drawing an inference from the very poor patient’s turnout. Conclusion: In conclusion, the COVID-19 pandemic was a global catastrophe in radiologic investigation and its impact in private radiologic facilities in Port Harcourt was enormous.
(1) Shazia Fatima and Zaheer Chiragh. Nuclear medicine practices in Pakistan in the times of COVID-19: steps to move forward. Pakistan Journal of Nuclear Medicine, Volume 10(1):1–6
(2) Gorbalenya AE, Baker SC, Baric RS, de Groot RJ, Drosten C, Gulyaeva AA, et al. The species Severe acute respiratorysyndrome-related coronavirus: classifying 2019-nCoV and naming it SARS-CoV-2. Nat Microbiol. 2020;5(4):536–44.https://doi.org/10.1038/s41564-020-0695-z
(3) World Health Organization. Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Situation Report—22; 2020 [cited 2020 Apr 20]. Available from: https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/ situation-reports/20200211-sitrep-22-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=fb6d49b1 _2&fbclid=IwAR0wvAWUxxQqYTvNcsUr3s5USzzj7C-kFuf2CmjZVeuo-_5UxBaT94YDDZs
(4) COVID 19 pandemic in Nigeria. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Nigeria. Retrieved 22nd May 2020
(5) "FIRST CASE OF CORONA VIRUS DISEASE CONFIRMED IN NIGERIA". Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. 28 February 2020. Retrieved 10 March 2020
(6) Nigeria records second case of Coronavirus". P.M. News. 9 March 2020. Retrieved 10 March 2020
(7) Oyeleke, Sodiq (9 May 2020). "UPDATED: Nigeria records 386 new COVID-19 cases, total now 3, 912". The Punch Newspaper. Retrieved 9 May 2020.
(8) Theresa Pablos. Pandemic paralysis: COVID-19 has major impact on imaging. https://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=sup&sub=imc&pag=dis&ItemID=128865
(9) Kate Madden Yee. Radiology volume, research will take COVID-19 hit.https://www.auntminnie.com/index.aspx?sec=sup&sub=adv&pag=dis&ItemID=128734
(10) Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Harcourt
(11) Furey Edward "Percentage Decrease Calculator"; CalculatorSoup, https://www.calculatorsoup.com - Online Calculators
(12) Elad Walad April 24th 2020 https://www.aidoc.com/blog/ct-imaging-volumes-covid19/ Retrieved 1st June 2020.
(13) Joseph J. Cavallo , Howard P. Forman. The economic impact of the covid-19 pandemic on radiology practices. Apr 15 2020 https://doi.org/10.1148/radiol.2020201495. https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/10.1148/radiol.2020201495
(14) Society of Interventional radiology; https://www.sirweb.org/globalassets/aasociety-of-interventional-radiology-home-page/practice-resource/covid-19-toolkit.pdf; Published Mar 16, 2020. Accessed Apr 4, 2020. Google Scholar.
Copyright (c) 2020 EBBI ROBINSON
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.