Article Publishing Fee
SSE-UK publishes all its journals in full open access under a Creative Commons (CC BY) license. This allows the scientific community and the general public to gain unlimited, free and immediate access to scholarly articles, and to reuse the content freely provided that proper attribution is given to the original authors.
To cover the cost for providing our high-quality publishing service and free access to readers, authors pay a one-time article publishing charge (APC) for manuscripts accepted after peer-review. There are no charges for rejected articles, no submission charges, and no surcharges based on the length of an article, figures or supplementary data. Editorial items (Editorials, Corrections, Additions, Retractions, Letters, Comments, etc.) are published free of charge.
APCs cover the following:
- The editorial procedure, including administration related to peer review, author revisions, and final decision-making. SSE-UK employs in-house staff to manage the majority of this process, leaving editorial board members to make key scientific decisions and allowing them to concentrate on their research. To demonstrate its appreciation of the important work done by reviewers and editorial board members,
SSE-UK provides them with APC discounts and waivers. APCs also cover for the administrative work done for rejected articles. In 2019, SSE-UK’s rejection rate across all its journals was 58.2%.
- Article production: professional language editing, type-setting, formatting, and production in PDF, XML, HTML, and Epub formats.
- Article hosting and dissemination: website maintenance, contact with indexing databases.
- Journal administration: including managing the journal website and editorial board, and promotion of the journal among the research community.
We try to keep the overheads and management costs at minimum and none of the journal management, production, or IT tasks are outsourced to third parties.
- Article Publication: £99.99 (GBP) only
- Fast-Track Review: £49.99 (GBP) only
With the payment of this fee, the review, editorial decision, and author notification on this manuscript is guaranteed to take place within 10 business days. This is an optional fee.
The payments are accepted in Pound Sterling (GBP), Euro (EUR) or US Dollars (USD). Upon acceptance, the corresponding/submitting author will receive an e-mail with a link where the currency of the invoice can be changed.
Accepted Methods of Payment
At present, following payment methods are supported:
For more detailed information on how to pay an invoice, please see our Payment Instructions.
APCs are payable within 5 to 10 business days.
Invoices are emailed shortly after acceptance to the payment contact provided by the authors. We do not authorize any third party to collect the APCs. SSE-UK is the sole service provider and cannot be held liable for actions by third parties.
For wire transfers, we ask the customer to pay the fees for both the sender and the recipient bank, so that SSE-UK receives the full invoiced amount.