Hemorrhoidectomy in the Third Trimester of Pregnancy: A Case Report of A Primipara With Twin Gestation
Hemorrhoids in pregnancy rarely require surgical treatment. Hemorrhoidectomy when done in pregnancy may result in complications for the mother or fetus. With multiple gestations (twin gestation in this case), the risk of these complications could be higher, more so, when done in the third rather than second trimester. We report the management of a 29yr old woman with twin gestation and in situ cervical cerclage who developed strangulated hemorrhoids at 30 weeks gestation. She had successful hemorrhoidectomy, continued her pregnancy until vaginal delivery of a healthy set of male twin neonates at 37 weeks gestation without recurrence.
(2) Staroselsky A, Nava-Ocampo A.A, Vohra S and Koren G. ‘Hemorrhoids in pregnancy’. Canadian Family Physician. 2008; 54(2):189–190.
(3) Abramowitz L, Sobhani I, Benifla JL, Vuagnat A, Daraï E, Mignon M, et al. Anal fissure and thrombosed external hemorrhoids before and after delivery. Dis
Colon Rectum. 2002;45(5):650–5.
(4) Abramowitz L, Batallan A. Epidemiology of anal lesions (fissure and thrombosed external hemorroid) during pregnancy and post-partum. Gynecol Obstet Fertil. 2003;31(6):546–9.
(5) Gojnic M, Dugalic V, Papic M, Vidakovic S, Milicevic S, Pervulov M. The significance of detailed examination of hemorrhoids during pregnancy. Clin Exp Obstet Gynecol. 2005;32(2):183–4.
(6) Saleeby RG Jr, Rosen L, Stasik JJ, Riether RD, Sheets J and Khubchandani IT. Hemorrhoidectomy during pregnancy: risk or relief? Dis Colon Rectum. 1991;34(3):260-1.
(7) Vasquez J.C. Constipation, haemorrhoids, and heartburn in pregnancy; Clinical Evidence 2008;02:1411.
(8) Medich DS, Fazio VW. Surgery in pregnant women [Cirugía en embarazadas]. Clin Quir Norte Am 1995;1:67–69. [In Spanish]
(9) Quijano CE, Abalos E, Quijano CE, et al. Conservative management of symptomatic and/or complicated haemorrhoids in pregnancy and the puerperium. In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 2, 2007. Chichester, UK: John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. Search date 2004; primary source Cochrane Pregnancy and Childbirth Group's Trials
(10) Nisar PJ, Scholefield JH. Managing haemorrhoids. BMJ 2003;327:847–851.