NodeMCU in Patient’s Data Transfer to IoT Platform
Keywords:Internet of Things (IoT), NodeMCU, API, REST, MQTT, ECG
AbstractTelemedicine is the use of advanced telecommunication tools, within the framework of clinical health, to diagnose diseases or deliver care remotely. In the field of telecommunication, many progress have been made specially with the expanding paradigm of Internet of Things. Our goal in this paper is make use of those low cost and open source tools to accurately transmit patient’s parameter to IoT platforms in order to apply a further processing techniques for remote disease diagnostic. To tackle this issue, we made use of ECG samples, sensor for temperature and humidity, connected to the NodeMCU which is one of the fast expanding and effective tools to easily establish communication with large scale data storage servers. The NodeMCU is used to push medical parameters to the ThingSpeak which is one of the most advanced IoT platform embedding MatLab. We made use of two main Application Program Interface (API): Message Queuing Telemetry Transport (MQTT) to push data to server, and the REpresentational State Transfer (REST), web services provide interoperability between computer systems on the Internet. As result of that experimentation we succefully transmited the three parameters, necessary on heart disease diagnosis. This tiny setup could be of a great help for remote medical data processing, also the IoT platform selected gives room to MatLab thereby could allow any type of further and powerful processing.
(1) J. Grigsby, "Telemedicine in the United States," Telemedicine: Theory and practice, p. 291–325, 1997.
(2) Wikipedia, "Telemedicine," 2017. [Online]. Available: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telemedicine#cite_note-1. [Accessed 20 May 2017].
(3) W. PAMELA and D. S. BEVERLY, "Evolution of Telemedicine from an Applied Communication Perspective in the United States," TELEMEDICINE AND e-HEALTH, vol. 12, no. 05, 2006.
(4) T. Tchapga, D. Tchiotsop, E. M. Sone, G. Tchimmoue, E. Abuno and A. Fomethe, "ECG Acquisition Based AVR Microcontroller and Java Application for Visualisation via Email Service," International Journal of Advanced Research in Computer Science and Software Engineering, vol. 7, no. 1, pp. 153-158, 1 2017.
(5) Tamas H., "Wireless ECG/EEG with the MSP430 Microcontroller," pp. 20-50, 2009.
(6) R. Amir-Mohammad, N. Pekka, L. Pasi and T. Hannu, "Towards Energy-Efficient HealthCare: an Internet-of-Things Architecture Using Intelligent Gateways," in International Conference on Wireless Mobile Communication and Healthcare, 2014.
(7) K. Sung-Yuan, W. Kang-Min, L. Wei-Cheng and K. Chun-Heng, "A Portable ECG Recorder," in Consumer Electronics, Communications and Networks (CECNet), 21-23 April 2012.
(8) V. Saurabh Prakash, "Real time monitoring of ECG signal using PIC and web server," International Journal of Engineering and Technology (IJET), vol. 5, no. 2, pp. 1047-1053, Apr-May 2013.
(9) G. TCHIMMOUE, J. KAMDEM and A. S. NKO’O, "Didacticiel d’Instrumentation Virtuel à Coût Réduit pour l’Acquisition et le Traitement des Signaux ECG," EDP Sciences, Vols. 11,2012, no. 0002, p. 16, 2012.
(10) D. TCHIOTSOP, T. KANA, M. FOGUE, N. A. ,. TCHOUANI and K. KENTSA, "Low Cost and Low Power ECG Recorder Suitable for Low Incomes Populations," International Journal of Electronics Communication and Computer Engineering, vol. 6, no. 5, pp. 558-564, 2015.
(11) D. Tchiotsop, T. Kanaa, M. Fogué, N. L. Nguemkoua, P. Mongoue and M. I. Toumtap, "ASCII Encoding of Biomedical Signals for SMS Transmission," International Journal of Electronics Communication and Computer Engineering, vol. 6, no. 3, pp. 409-415, 2014.
(12) Purnima, R. Neetu, T. Rahul and B. Renuka, "ZIGBEE AND GSM BASED PATIENT HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM," International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, vol. 3, no. 1, pp. 6664-6669, January 2014.
(13) W. Ying-Chieh, W. Ying-Yu, C. Kai-Hsiung and L.-S. Jang, "DESIGN OF A MICROCONTROLLER-BASED REAL-TIME HEART RATE VARIABILITY MEASUREMENT SYSTEM USING A LOW-COMPLEXITY R-PEAK DETECTION ALGORITHM," Instrumentation Science & Technology, vol. 41, no. 3, pp. 274-289, 2013.
(14) T. M. Lionel and K. P. E. Martin, "Universal Module of Acquisition and Transmission of Electrophysiological Signal," International Journal of Innovative Research in Science, Engineering and Technology, vol. 3, no. 6, pp. 13767-13776, 2014.
(15) S. Hangsik, "Ambient temperature effect on pulse rate variability as an alternative to heart rate variability in young adult," Journal of Clinical Monitoring and Computing, vol. 30, no. 06, p. 939–948, 2015.
(16) E. Opher, F. Fabiana and A. Sarit, "Tutorial on the Internet of Everything," in 8th ACM Int. Conf. on Dist. Event-Based Sys., Munbai/India, 2014.
(17) S. Hyejeong and G. Ranjit, "Digitally intensive transmitter employing RF pulse width modulation for IoT applications," in Radio Frequency Integrated Circuits Symposium (RFIC), 2015 IEEE, 17-19 May 2015.
(18) Rahmani, N. K. Thanigaivelan, T. N. Gia, J. Granados, B. Negash, P. Liljeberg and H. Tenhunen, "Smart e-health gateway: bringing intelligence to internet-of-things based ubiquitous healthcare systems," 2016.
(19) S. Andrej, K. Andrej, K. Davorin, R. Stojanovic, S. Vladimir, Eugene and k. Semen, "Streaming Pulse Data to the Cloud with Bluetooth LE or NODEMCU ESP8266," in 5th Mediterranean Conference on Embedded Computing, Bar, Montenegro, 2015.
(20) J. K. B and V. K, "Energy Efficient Lightening System for an Indoor Environment using Wireless Sensor Network Based on IOT," International Journal of Research and Scientific Innovation, vol. 3, no. 5, pp. 144-148, May 2016.
(21) K. P. Krupal, P. Jignesh and P. Hitesh, "Low Cost Home Automation with ESP8266 and Lightweight protocol MQTT," Transactions on Engineering and Sciences, vol. 3, no. 6, December 2015.
(22) C. G and R. H, "IOT Controlled Two Wheel Self Supporting Robot Without External Sensor," Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research, pp. 286-290, 2015.
(23) Purnima, R. Neetu, T. Rahul and B. Renuka, "ZIGBEE AND GSM BASED PATIENT HEALTH MONITORING SYSTEM," International Journal of Advanced Research in Electrical, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, vol. 3, no. 1, 2014.
(24) D. Arko and W. Michael, "Ambient Environmental Quality Monitoring Using IoT Sensor Network," INTERNETWORKING INDONESIA JOURNAL, vol. 8, no. 1, 2016. R. Tchamda, T. R, B. P. Francois and K. M, "Monitoring System of Mechanical Activity of the Heart and Goelocalization of the Patient Based on the Mqtt Cloud," vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1-8, 2017.
(25) MathWorks, "Choose Between REST API and MQTT API," MathWorks, [Online]. Available: https://www.mathworks.com/help/thingspeak/choose-between-rest-and-mqtt.html?requestedDomain=true. [Accessed 12 December 2017].