Surface Vs Volume Based Reconstruction of Bone Tissue Using CAS_Annotate and CAS_Navigate
Keywords:Bone tissue modeling, Image guided surgery, 3D reconstruction, VTK, IGSTK.
Intra-operative systems that provide 3D spatial reasoning support, require 3D models whose geometric accuracy enables the surgeon to make relative positioning and orientation decisions of anatomical structures during navigation. This paper compares the advantages and disadvantages of two popular types of 3D reconstruction from CT polygons, surface based and volume based respectively (Figure 1). Both are implemented in the CAS_Annotate tool, and were used for the purpose of assessing bone tissue modeling strategies for navigation. Their impact in rendering performance is assessed in CAS_Navigate which draws on IGSTK’s intra-operative visualization capabilities.
(1) Meyers D, Reconstruction of Surfaces from Planar Contours. PhD Thesis. University of Washington, 1994.
(2) ITK, ITK-Snap, http://www.itksnap.org, 2017.
(3) Oliveira, J. F. , J. L. Moyano-Cuevas, J. Blas, H. Capote, and F. M. S. Margallo, Preoperative and Intraoperative Spatial Reasoning Support with 3D Organ and Vascular Models: Derived from CT Data using VTK and IGSTK, International Journal of Creative Interfaces and Computer Graphics, vol. 6(2), pp. 56–82, July-December, 2015.
(4) Sliver, http://www.sliver07.org, 2017.
(5) The Visualization Toolkit, http://www.vtk.org, 2017.
(6) Pianykh, O. S., Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine (DICOM) A Practical Introduction and Survival Guide, 2nd Edition, Springer, ISBN 978-3-642-10849-5, 2012.
(7) The Fast Light Toolkit (FLTK), www.fltk.org, 2017.
(8) Eberly D, Triangulation by Ear Clipping, http://www.geometrictools.com, 2008.
(9) Christiansen HN, Sederberg TW, Conversion of complex contour line definitions into polygonal element mosaics. Computer Graphics XIII. 2(August, 1978):187-192, 1978.
(10) Oliveira, J. F., Advantages and Disadvantages of using Third-party software in the development of the CAS_Annotate and CAS_Navigate Medical Applications, Journal of Biomedical Engineering and Medical
Imaging, 3(6), ISSN: 2055-1266, 2016.
(11) The Stanford 3D Scanning Repository, Stanford University, http://graphics.stanford.edu/data/3Dscanrep/, 2017.
(12) The Image-Guided Surgery Toolkit, http://www.igstk.org, 2017.
(13) Insight Segmentation and Registration Toolkit (ITK), https://itk.org, 2017.