Fourier Transform Based Early Detection of Breast Cancer by Mammogram Image Processing
Keywords:Breast cancer, calcification, image enhancement, image segmentation, edge detection, Fourier Transform
Breast cancer is very common among the World’s women population. Early detection of breast cancer can save life. Mammography based diagnosis is considered as the most effective to detect breast cancer. But, mammogram images often lead to misdiagnosis due to their low contrast nature. Recent studies show that mammography based diagnosis fails to detect cancerous lumps in the breast in ten out of one hundred patients. In this paper we address this issue. We propose a computer aided breast cancer detection technique in this paper. In the proposed method mammogram images are enhanced and segmented to locate the malignant lumps in the women’s breast. The segmented image is then compared with a template image in order to determine the stage of breast cancer. Some statistical characteristics have also been presented in this paper to identify the malignant lumps from the benign ones.
(1) Breast Cancer available at http://www2.world-federation.org/Health/ Articles/Breast+Cancer.htm
(2) The Facts of Breast Cancer available at http://chealth.canoe.ca/
(3) Fred S. Azar, “ Imaging Techniques for Deteting Breast Cancer: Survey and Prespectives”, Technical Report (CIS), Paper 115, University of Pensyvania, PA
(4) Bruce, L.M., and Adhami, R.R., “ Classifying mammogram mass shapes by using the Wavelet Transform Modulus-Maximum Method”, IEEE Transaction on Medical Imaging, Vol. 18, No. 12, pp. 1170-117,
(5) J. Salvado and B. Roque, “ Detection of Calcifications in Digital Mammograms using Wavelet Analysis and Contrast Enhancement”, In the proceedings of the IEEE International Workshop in Signal Processing, Portugral, 2005, pp. 200-205
(6) S. Thimp, Celia Valera, and Nico Karssemeihier, “ Temporal change analysis for characterization of mass lesions in Mammography”, IEEE Transaction on Medical Imaging, Vol. 26, No. 7, 2007, pp. 945-953
(7) P. Spandana, K. M.M. Rao, B.V.V.S.N Provakar, D. Jwalasrikala, “ Novel Image Processing Techniques for Early Detection of Breast Cancer, MatLab and LabView Implementation”, In the proceedings of
IEEE Point-of-Care Healthcare Technologies (PHT), January 2013, pp.
(8) Q. Dominguez, M.G. Cortina, B. Magana, A. Jevti, A.V. Corona, and D. Anina, “ Microcalcifications Detetcion Applying Artificial Neural Network and Mathematical Morphlogy in Digital Mammograms”, In the proceedinsg of World Automation Congress, September 2010, Spain, pp.
(9) Hewang, Lin-Lin Huan, and Xiao-Jie Jhang, “Automated Detection of Masses in Digital Mammogram Image by using Pyramid”, In the proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Wavelet Analysis and Pattern Recognition, Beijing, November 2007, pp. 183-187
(10) Jelena Bozek, Emil Dumec, and Mislav Grgic, “ Bilateral Asymmetry Detection in Digital Mammography Using B-spline Interpolation,” In the proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Systems, Signals,
and Image Processing, June 2009, Chalkida, Greece, pp. 1- 4
(11) Nevine H. Eltonsy, Adel S. Elmaghraby, Georgia D. Tourassi, “ Bilateral Breast Volume Assymetry in Screening Mammograms as a Potential Marker of Breast Cancer : Preliminary Experinec”, In the proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, September 2007, San Antonio, pp. V-5-V-8
(12) Senthilkumar , B., Umamaheswaru G, Karthik, J., “ A novel region growing segmentation algoprithm for the detection of breast cancer”, In the proceedings of the IEEE International Conference in Computional Inteliggence and Computing Research, December 2010, Coimbatore, pp.
(13) Hala Al-Shamlan and Ali El-Zaart, “ Feature extraction values for breast cancer maommography images”, In the proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Bioinfomatics and Biomedical Technology, April 2010, Chendu, pp. 335-340
(14) Wengfeng Han, Jianwei Dong, Yuting Guo, Ming Zhang, Jiangzhong Waang, “ Identification of masses in digital mammogram using an optimal set of features”, In the proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Trust, Security, and Privacy in Computing and Communication, November 2011, Chengsha, pp. 1763-1768
(15) J.K. Dash, L., Sahoo, “ Wavelet Based Features of Circular Scan Lines for Mammograhic Mass Classification”, In the proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Recent Advances in Information Technology, March 2012, pp. 58-61
(16) Ying-Che Kuo ; Taichung, Taiwan ; Wei-Chen Lin ; Shih-Chang Hsu ; An-Chun Cheng, “ Mass detection in Digital Mammogram System Based on PSO Algorithm”, In the proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Computer, Consumer, and Control, June 2014, Taichung, pp. 662-668