NUMERICAL SIMULATION OF LATERALLY LOADED PILE GROUPS ADJACENT TO A SLOPE
This paper is a numerical study based on a number of numerical model tests of pile groups, subjected to static lateral loading. Tests were conducted on single, (2x1), and (2x3) pile groups at three-diameter (3D) spacing. The model piles studied is concrete piles with 25 cm diameter and 10m length founded in loose sand (Dr=25%). The model is developed to study the effect of the number of piles in group on its lateral capacity on level ground and adjacent to a slope of inclination (3H:2V). The behavior of the piles was analyzed using a 3-D elasto-plastic finite element method (FEM) computer program Plaxis 3D ver. 2020, which represents a realistic model to simulate the problem. The response of the piles in the group was compared with the response of the single pile. It was found that the behavior of laterally loaded pile group depends largely on the arrangement of piles in group with respect to direction of load. In case of a slope it was found that the behavior of pile groups depends on the distance of lead row of pile groups from the slope crest (B/D) and arrangement of piles in group corresponding to load direction.
(1) Amr Farouk Elhakim et al. (2014): “Three dimensional modeling of laterally loaded pilegroups resting in sand” Housing and Building National Research Center HBRC Journal, (2016) 12, 78–87
(2) Broms, B.B.,(1964): “ Lateral Resistance of Piles in Cohesionless Soils,” Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, ASCE, Vol. 90, No. SM3, pp. 123 - 156.
(3) Bringreve, Zampich and Ragi Manoj.. (2019): “Plaxis 3D Connect edition manual), Delft University of Technology & PLAXIS bv, The Netherlands.
(4) GOUW Tjie-Liong (2017), “ANALYSIS ON LATERALLY LOADED GROUP PILES BY PLAXIS 3D FOUNDATION” ComTech Vol.2 No. 2 December 2011: 1023-1030
(5) McVay, M., Bloomquist, D., Vanderlinde, D. and Clausen,J. (1994): “Centrifuge Modelling of Laterally Pile Groups in Sands,” Geotech. Testing J., Vol. 17, No. 2, pp. 129-137.
(6) McVay, M., Casper, R., and Shang, T. (1995): “Lateral Response of Three Row Groups in Loose to Dense Sands at 3D and 5d Pile Spacing,” Proc. Of ASCE, Vol. 121, GT5, pp. 436- 441.
(7) Narasimha, S., Ramakrishna, V.G.S., and Babu, R. (1998): “ Influence of Rigidity on Laterally Loaded Pile Groups in Marine Clay,” Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Eng. Vol. 124, No. 6, June, pp. 542-549.
(8) Pise, P.J.,(1983):“ Lateral Load Deflection Behaviour of Pile Groups,” India Geotech. J.,Bambay, India, pp. 37-51
(9) Poulos, H.G.,(1971):” Behaviour of Laterally Loaded Piles. II: Pile Groups,” Journal of the Soil Mechanics and Foundations Division, ASCE, Vol. 97, No. 5, pp. 733-751.
(10) Rollins, K.M., Peterson, K.T. and Weaver, T.J. (1998):” Lateral Load Behavior of Full-Scale Pile Group in Clay” Proc. Of ASCE, Vol. 124, GT6, pp.468-478.
Copyright (c) 2021 Khaled bahloul
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.